LegacyGT.com

Sti VS Legacy

As brother phil stated...if it is strait line speed you are after the STi has a larger turbo. So yes it can be considerably quicker.

That being said the 3-4k you save buy purchasing the LGT can easily get you a STi swap & more;)

When the corners come up though........goodbye:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

As brother phil stated...if it is strait line speed you are after the STi has a larger turbo. So yes it can be considerably quicker.

That being said the 3-4k you save buy purchasing the LGT can easily get you a STi swap & more;)

When the corners come up though........goodbye:(

If you mod out the LegacyGT suspension it will make a better road course machine. GOTO and a bunch of other road race gurus both mentioned in the past that the Legacy Chasis is Superior to the Impreza Chasis.

Chris Lock and Joel Gat Both mentioned that the Legacy's multilink rear affords MUCH better camber control, better roll resistance, has better overall suspension geometry, turns in better and is more naturally balanced.

Dont tell the kiddies though ....

I think it depends on the type of racing you would be doing. If your planning on Rallying or Auto-Xing your probably better off with the STI do to the shorter wheel base. If your road racing then the longer wheel base of the Legacy would be better suited for that. They are both great cars, but stock for stock I would probably give it to the STI as the better race car.

True Roby....

I was just thinking he was talking about strait line speed. If he spent that much on suspension there would not be enough left to chase down the STi in the straits!!!

Stage 2+ makes your LGT faster in a straight line than a stock STi. Check.

Wheels and tires improve the lateral grip of your LGT. Check.

Sway bars, struts, springs, and alignment make your car beat a stock STi in the twisties. Check.

Better brake pads, lines, and fluid nearly match the stock STi Brembos in stopping power. Check.

Pulling away from a stock STi on a road course after said mods are completed. Check.

My car is a non-limited, so I can officially say I surpassed STi performance for less than the price of a new one.

:)

Stage 2+ makes your LGT faster in a straight line than a stock STi. Check.

Wheels and tires improve the lateral grip of your LGT. Check.

Sway bars, struts, springs, and alignment make your car beat a stock STi in the twisties. Check.

Better brake pads, lines, and fluid nearly match the stock STi Brembos in stopping power. Check.

Pulling away from a stock STi on a road course after said mods are completed. Check.

My car is a non-limited, so I can officially say I surpassed STi performance for less than the price of a new one.

:)

ouch ...:lol:

now if only it was a wagon pulling away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if you do an STI swap (unless you go FMIC) we are still restricted by the little opening in our hood to cool the TMIC.

BTW According to the specs that I could find my non-limited LGT weighs about 15 lbs less then an STI.:confused:

Even if you do an STI swap (unless you go FMIC) we are still restricted by the little opening in our hood to cool the TMIC.

BTW According to the specs that I could find my non-limited LGT weighs about 15 lbs less then an STI.:confused:

Non-limited LGT sedan does weigh slightly less. The drivetrain on the STi, especially the 6-speed, is heavier.

I have compared my Stage 2 LGT with my friend's Stage 2 05 STi, and he pulls away pretty easily in any gear other than 6th gear. heh

Wishful thinking. Everyone on this thread forgot to mention differentials and power distribution. A STi will allow you to power out of a corner better, cleaner, earlier, and more efficiently due to the LSDs all around.

Not to mention... why would the LGT be allowed Stage 2 but not the STi...

Make things equal... AKA, LGT with STi swap VS. STi.. both being at Stage 2 power levels (both protuned since the LGT would need it)... The LGT MIGHT have a slight advantage with acceleration only because you don't have to shift as much.. so any gain the STi gets due to the shorter gearing is offset by the constant shifting..

But... then you hit the turns... and since the LGT isn't as well equipped.. the STi will run away in the corners due to more efficient power application..

This information comes to you from someone who moved from a STi to a LGT.

Oh and yes.. a Stage 2 STi whoops on a Stage 2 LGT... no competition.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

As a cost issue....

A Stage II LGT with a few susp. mods will cost you about the same as a STi;)

And although it might handle nicely.. and be more comfortable.. it wont take the turns as good... read my post above.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I'd have to agree with jsalicru. The Stock STI suspension is equal to and sometimes better then most upgrades people do to the LGT. I have driven a stock STI many times, and it still out handles my LGT with Bilstien shocks and springs, and cusco sway bars I think. I think the only way you could beat a STI in the twisties would be to do major suspension mods, as in Coil Overs/Sway Bars/Bushings/Lateral links. As far as power goes, the LGT Stage 2 will make you pretty much equal power wise with a Stock STI. If that STI does just a ecu reflash though, then even a Stage 2 LGT is out of luck. And if that STI is stage 2, the Legacy has no chance.

Not to mention a stock STI comes with very grippy summer tires, light weight BBS wheels, huge Brembo brakes, front LSD, and DCCD. The legacy comes with Leather, more comfy seats, dual zone climate control, nice interior, nice exterior. None of which help performance. They are designed for two different purposes.

Now I am not saying the Legacy GT is a bad car for racing. Heck I auto-x'd mine 5 times already this year and I have beaten numerous STI's and EVO's. But I don't think I can be as compeditive in my class because the STI's will always have more advantages. All I can do is try to become a better driver and use my skills to compensate for the cars disadvantages.

jsalicru....

Didn't doubt the STI's ability once the twisties start. You were stating how the Stage II LGT should be compared against the Stage II STI.

We all knw there is about a 4k difference between the 2 stock for stock. With that 4k worth of saving's you can set up a LGT to even take out a STI on a road coarse.

On a mustang dyno a stage II LGT puts down 20-25whp & quite a bit more Tq than a stock STI.

Agreed the 2 cars are TOTALLY different & meant for totally different purposes.

Wishful thinking. Everyone on this thread forgot to mention differentials and power distribution. A STi will allow you to power out of a corner better, cleaner, earlier, and more efficiently due to the LSDs all around.

Not to mention... why would the LGT be allowed Stage 2 but not the STi...

Make things equal... AKA, LGT with STi swap VS. STi.. both being at Stage 2 power levels (both protuned since the LGT would need it)... The LGT MIGHT have a slight advantage with acceleration only because you don't have to shift as much.. so any gain the STi gets due to the shorter gearing is offset by the constant shifting..

But... then you hit the turns... and since the LGT isn't as well equipped.. the STi will run away in the corners due to more efficient power application..

This information comes to you from someone who moved from a STi to a LGT.

Oh and yes.. a Stage 2 STi whoops on a Stage 2 LGT... no competition.

Hm, explain to me what happened at the last lapping day when I played chase with an STi and pulled away from him and he never caught up during the whole 15 minute session? :icon_wink We are equal drivers. If anything, he is better since he has been doing autocross and racing longer than me.

This was against a completely stock 05 STi.

And a stage 2 LGT is very close to a stock STi power-wise, maybe a very slight edge for the LGT.

As for power application, I had no problems mid corner and corner exit. Maybe you guys are doing the wrong mods. :lol:

I'm just speaking from personal experience. Your experiences could vary I suppose.

The GOTO crew, Joel Gat, ICY racing, DMS. Have all SUGGESTED that the LGT chasis is better than the Impreza chasis. Were talking pro racers here not weekend warriors who think they are clicking off faster lap times by sliding about.

http://legacygt.com/forums/motorsports/30216-goto-racing-laguna-seca.html

"Originally Posted by RobY:

Can you comment on the driving dynamic diffrences between the Impreza Chasis and the Legacy Chasis.

I also cannot BELEIVE the homogolation rules for the EVO MR. The car weighs almost the same as yours and gets to run 19 PSI of boost? on a much larger turbo?

I would LOVE to know how that EVER happened. You guys already murdered the pack by more than 6 seconds it wont be long till peeps start complaining.

"Yeah actually. I took three 20 minute sessions at our test session right after driving the wrx for a day. It was not at ALL what I expected!

For one, the legacy seems to have a much more positive front end. I was expecting the longer wheel base to push more, but was pleasantly surprised by how the legacy would bite into a corner with less roll than the legacy[sic] (WRX). The tighter steering rack also reinforced that feeling of a grippy front end.

Second, the rear was alot more active than I expected. I had an image of the multi-link rear acting to make a more compliant rear, but it was easy to coax rotation out of the car, on turn in and when exiting on the power. But I guess I should keep in mind the HUGE hotchkiss sway bar we added. I am sure that added to this effect alot.

Torque was way better, though the power dies in the high RPM. While the legacy has more power overall, you need to be on top of where you shift. Boost starts to drop to much farther than 5700 or so.

All in all, the legacy is actually more fun to drive than the WRX. Dare I say, more of a drivers car...." ~Chris Lock~

Mind you they are comparing to the Shenan Motor Racing WRX which is FULLY speced with custom diffs.

Heres one from ICY:

NASIOC - View Single Post - Factory Subaru Road Racing Team to debut Legacy Wagon in GAC at Lime

...The Subaru Legacy GT showed that it was a serious contender and placed third in the first session right out of the box, and then first overall in the second session in the rain!!!...

...Although forced to run almost 500 pounds heavier than the other cars in the class, the Legacy GT's symmetrical AWD and turbo charged boxer engine, proved up to the task and in the rain the car was just short of spectacular....

...We had a lot of fun pointing out to interested fans that this legacy runs a completely stock drive line, with stock boost, (Engine, trans and differential units), Stock brake system and ABS with racing pads... Stock suspension bushings and pickup points with aftermarket JRZ shocks and springs and the stock exhaust system with mufflers... We did ask GAC officials to allow an aftermarket sound system so that we could hear our car over the noise of other cars!!!...

Better camber control, suspension geometry, roll resistance of the multilink, less tendancy to understeer are the advantages. It seems that the legacy does not need advanced diffrentials to make up time.

Archived