LegacyGT.com

New Way to Bling Mufflers

hal9e3

So, I was futzing around with my hybrid TBE today - Cobb catted DP, Lachute res/Y and stock cans - when I noticed that the chromed exhaust tip covers are attached with two bolts. I like this setup pretty well except for the bling factor, so it occurred to me: hey, all I need is some nicer tips, maybe paint the cans black, and I'd be in bidnezz. Anybody know of a company that sells tips only? Magnaflow maybe? BTW the tip sans cover looks, well, interesting:

nakedtip1.thumb.JPG.b398b9a687d1791543c06f2ff6e8455b.JPG

nakedtip2.JPG.879026813afdce30bd187cc8a108d639.JPG

Stock or aftermarket? The stock tips can't be easily moved but the covers could be shifted backwards or forwards a little bit by enlarging the bolt hole. Magnaflow does sell tips separately but looks like they need to be welded on. Sent them an email to confirm. If they can be attached with bolts then some adjustment should be possible. If they need to be welded then you can custom fit the length by where you cut off the old tips.

Looked into this a little more. Magnaflow and Borla, just to name a couple, sell stainless steel tips. The Magnaflow tips are all 2.25" diameter inlet, while the Borlas are either 2.25" or 2.5". They both come in a variety of shapes, sizes and lengths. The stock muffler tip starts at ~2" in diameter, flares to ~2.4" in diameter and then flattens out into a rounded rectangle shape. Magnaflows have to be welded on, while some of the Borlas come with a clamp. Not sure whether the 2.5" Borla would be compatible. Can you say coke can shim?

Surf the Summit Racing and JC Whitney catalogs - lots of stuff. :)

Also check eBay.

There's actually some decent-quality tips there - mostly weld-on applications for various "modern American muscle." You should be able to "adapt" some for your use.

Let us know what you find, and pix of your completed setup, of course!

Best of luck, bro!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well, pulled the trigger on some Borla tips. They should work fine as their ID is slightly larger than our mufflers' OD. They're clamp-on as well, which should work out really well aesthetically because they can be moved back and forth on the muffler outlet pipe. Hopefully I'll have pics of the install by weekend after next. Oh, yeah, here's a link:

Next topic - painting the cans. Anyone know what kind of paint I should use? I'm looking to go black in a flat or satin finish. Wonder if I could get OBP to stick:)

^ Would you also recommend some kind of primer, too?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Nope. I have used high temp paint on mufflers to cover up wleds that were rusting and it worked great. I'd follow the instructions on the paint to see if it even needs primer and make sure you get something that can handle the temps. I'd scotchbrite pad the muffler to make sure it is clean, but that's it. It would be easy to re-apply later if needed. Most high-temp pait needs to be "cured" by some heat after applied, so the first few minutes might scare the heck out of you :lol:

Someone has done this and posted pcitures a long time ago. Then did them in black IIRC and it looked good.

ThermoTec works nicely. summitracing.com sells it.

I had this same idea...did some research into tips....about $120 for what I wanted. :(

Yeah, the tips ran $104 delivered. Magnaflow tips retail for more than Borla but sell for quite a bit less - go figure. I went with the Borlas because they're clamp-on, which means easier installation plus adjustable tuck.

I have thought about replacing the tips.... but I love the shape of our tips. Don't want to lose that. I am going to eventually take my tips off, paint the cans flat black... then put the tips back on.

The Borlas I bought are the same shape as stock but slightly larger. Their big advantage, besides the bling factor, is that they're a clamp-on design. This means you can adjust the tuck quite a bit. Set them all the way out for Hot Import Nights, all the way in the last week of the month when the cops are trying to make their ticket quota and in the Goldilocks position the rest of the time:icon_mrgr

Cool info. on the paint, rao and PGT. :) Thanks!

Cool info. on the paint, rao and PGT. :) Thanks!

+1. Talked to Thermotec and they recommended carb or brake cleaner to prep the mufflers. Also, NAPA can typically get their Hi-Heat Coating (good to 2000 deg. F) in a day or 2. They recommended 1 can/muffler but that seems like overkill, especially since it's $12/can.

+1. Talked to Thermotec and they recommended carb or brake cleaner to prep the mufflers. Also, NAPA can typically get their Hi-Heat Coating (good to 2000 deg. F) in a day or 2. They recommended 1 can/muffler but that seems like overkill, especially since it's $12/can.

^ Good to know! Thanks, bruddah! :)

A few weeks ago there was a discussion of Borla catback systems which fit the Legacy sedan, but the tips don't look good on the wagon because they should be longer. So if Borla makes tips, why don't they offer a set-up that is slightly longer for the wagon? Too much trouble for them?

Archived