LegacyGT.com

D@$#IT. Bad Door Ding...

UPDATE: Looks like the dent location is in the worst possible area. It's located in front of a frame and the because of how far into the door it is, it looks like paintless is close to out of the question.

Made an appointment through Geico to have an Auto Body place take a look. This freaking sucks.

Suggestion:

Would removing your interior door panel give the Paintless guy a better angle at repairing the ding??

~Sucka-Duck~

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suggestion:

Would removing your interior door panel give the Paintless guy a better angle at repairing the ding??

He did, but he said he couldn't guarantee that he would be able to access it. He also said there's a chance if popped out, the paint might crack.

He also said there's a chance if popped out, the paint might crack.

This shows he doesn't know what he is talking about or is not any good at what he does. Run as fast as you can to someone who knows what he is doing.

It is still ugly.

This shows he doesn't know what he is talking about or is not any good at what he does. Run as fast as you can to someone who knows what he is doing.

Two well respected shops in the NoVA area both said this. It has to do with the dents location on the body line...

Mine got dinged on the crease on the rear quarter.

Mine had 2 dings actually, right on the crease. Came out with no problems and my guy never flinched about the location on the crease.

It is still ugly.

Mine had 2 dings actually, right on the crease. Came out with no problems and my guy never flinched about the location on the crease.

The biggest problem has to do with the dent right on top of a frame...

Call me crazy, but when I have my kids in the car I don't park close enough to anyone where they could do damage. If I can't find a spot with enough room, I will point out to the kids that they are close to another car and to be careful and wait for me to come around.

Sorry to be so black and white here, but I believe it's all about taking responsibility for your own (and your kids) actions. Maybe it's just righteous indignation, but it seems like no one takes responsibility anymore.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoDork

http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/confused.gif People just need to practice common respect for other peoples property, space and feelings....its not that hard!

I'm sorry to say that will never NEVER happen.

If it helps, I know what you're going through. A former friend of mine came up to my car, and thinking she was being funny, jumpkicked my car door . . . while I was driving away. She's over 160lbs. Needless to say, she's not a friend anymore. The cost to repair was around $800 because of a need to repaint. She kicked the car right underneath my doorhandle. I never thought of her as smart, but now I know for sure she's dumb as ****.

No horror stories as to how it happened. Just saw it while at a mall parking lot.

DING Pic 1

DING Pic 2

Anyone have any door ding recommendations in the DC/Northern VA? The location of the ding scares me because it's right on the crease.

My biggest fear: Once the ding is popped out, will the crease be restored?

$500 ish. Because it is on the crease it cannot be poped out. A body shop will pop it out as much as they can, maybe, then use filler. I have one on the driver side which is about the same size as the one in your pics and the local shop esitmated around $500. Most of which is the body filler/sanding work needed to get it to look right.

These types of dings cannot be done by a PDR guy due to the location on the crease.

This is what pisses me off about the Subbie sheet metal, it is super sensitive to these types of dings. A door just barely taps the stuff and you get a nice fine vertical crease. I have a few shallow ones in various places, not usually noticable. But the new one on the crease will get fixed.

$500 ish. Because it is on the crease it cannot be poped out. A body shop will pop it out as much as they can, maybe, then use filler. I have one on the driver side which is about the same size as the one in your pics and the local shop esitmated around $500. Most of which is the body filler/sanding work needed to get it to look right.

These types of dings cannot be done by a PDR guy due to the location on the crease.

This is what pisses me off about the Subbie sheet metal, it is super sensitive to these types of dings. A door just barely taps the stuff and you get a nice fine vertical crease. I have a few shallow ones in various places, not usually noticable. But the new one on the crease will get fixed.

The two PDR guys I saw weren't concerned about the crease, but rather the frame located behind the dent.

The two PDR guys I saw weren't concerned about the crease, but rather the frame located behind the dent.

Meaning they can't get a tool to the proper area? If so, then I can understand the problem. If that's the case, I don't see how that has anything to do with cracking the paint if you can't even get to the area to work the metal. Maybe I am dumb or missing something.:confused:

It is still ugly.

Maybe I am dumb or missing something.:confused:

Nope - not dumb, I think in my agonized state I'm not posting coherently. :icon_conf

Meaning they can't get a tool to the proper area? If so, then I can understand the problem.

That's exactly the case.

I have had 3 dings in my 05 OBXT. I have only parked in between cars (vs. in the far corner somewhere) three times. Each and EVERY time I was dinged.

Thanks to Subaru for making the their sheet metal so AMAZINGLY thin and a big thumbs up to the self-centered dumbsh$%s we can all count on to do this sort of thing.

I do have a standard protocol when the offending car is still parked next to mine. It's vindictive, but makes me feel soooooo much better. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was at the DMV renewing my tags of all things. There was nowhere far away to park, so I was perfectly centered in a spot. I came out, and there was a line of paint on my door, and a fat bitch driving away looking at me as I was rubbing the paint off staring at her. To my suprise (not) she didn't stop, so I drove after her but couldn't get her tag #. That was almost a year ago, and everyday I see that ding, very slight yes, but it reminds me that I should have went up to that fat bitch, knocked on her window, and settled it. Am I bitter?! Very much so. Will I ever let someone drive away while catching them in the act. HELL NO!!!! All I can say is fat people that have to open their door really far to get in and have no respect for other people's property really suck!! I sure hope she gets hers, wuh ha ha ha!

Anyways, I hope you get your ding fixed. Mine shouldn't cost too much, so I just need to suck it up and fix it. Thanks for this thread, I needed to vent I guess. :)

If it helps, I know what you're going through. A former friend of mine came up to my car, and thinking she was being funny, jumpkicked my car door . . . while I was driving away. She's over 160lbs. Needless to say, she's not a friend anymore. The cost to repair was around $800 because of a need to repaint. She kicked the car right underneath my doorhandle. I never thought of her as smart, but now I know for sure she's dumb as ****.

You see? It NEVER pays to be friends with 160+lb girls.:icon_bigg

(flame suit: on)

See if any forum members are interested i doing a door swap (with a little cash) like they do for trunk swaps. I personally think you might be more peed off if you end up with the whole door being painted and it isn't to your standards.
It is still ugly.

It never hurts to take it to a PDR place and see what they think. Case in point... I have some damage to the front of my Pilot due to Dents pictures by OCDetails - Photobucket Someone else's insurance is paying for it, so I went to get a couple estimates. The estimates were $350 and $400 at a body shop. They would have my truck for 3 days and I would need a rental. A PDR guy quoted me $80 bucks and it would take a couple hours. Which do you think I'm more inclined to go with given the fact that I have a $350 check for the body work plus $75 to cover a rental for three days? PDR can do some amazing things nowdays... What I've found is that if you can dent it, then a PDR guy can pull it. Or in your case, probably push it, but it is all the same result. I'd definitely seek out some PDR advice. It could cost you a couple hundred and a couple days without your car at a body shop or it could cost you a Jackson from a PDR truck. Look into all your options before you throw down the bills at the body shop.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I was really pissed off one day and didn't want to explode in front of my kids who were sitting in the back of my wagon, so I pounded my fists against the side of my car between the roof rails and rear cargo side window.

Now I have two fist-sized dents in my car. Good thing my fists are small LOL

Gotta get this fixed, but I dont think I'll have a problem like yours.

Archived