LegacyGT.com

Car Show Tips Anyone?

Im headin to a car show this weekend I was wonering if anyone could give me some tips on how to steal the win in my class, I already made a plaque deal so the dumbass judges know what their looking at, it tells the mods and factory stats and such. The car is clean as hell...you could eat off the engine.... the trunk looks rediculosly empty...any ideas there. Or just any other tips would be cool.

peace

Just remember it's more about CLEAN than it is about mods and how much money you have in your car. I have been doing this for over 20 years with a 100% stock '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z and I win because my car is better than new CLEAN. I have beaten many cars that have been modded, chromed and in general have had a ton of money dumped into them. Their owners are almost always pissed that they lost to a stock car. The area most people slack in is the engine compartment which you seem to keep clean but, look at it again as if you are a judge. Is the top or most visable part of the engine compartment clean, but are the harder to see parts just as clean. Like the area around the radiator, battery, block, visable front suspension pieces or wires and hoses. When I say clean I am not just talking about oil or other fluides on parts but also dust or production residues. Something as simple as dust in corners or on wires will cause judges to look elsewhere regardless of your mods. Also don't forget about the underside of the hood itself.

What do your your wheel wells look like? What about your wheels (front and back)? The same goes for your tires, don't just apply tire dressing to the front of your tires, do the backs and the treads. Backs can be done before you go to the show as long as its not raining, treads after you are parked. What about the underside of the car? If your car is a daily driver this area is probably the worst.

If you are so inclined go to the local 25 cent car wash and pressure wash what ever you can see (if you can't see it, the judges probably can't either). When you get home you have two choices, put the car on ramps or jack stands (never crawl under a car with out jack stands and wheel stops) and detail the underneath. This method is a lot of work and is not very practical for a daily driver. What I usually do with a daily driver that I take to a show is to get a couple of cans of the foam tire shine and spray the entire underneath a day or two before the show (again providing there is no rain in sight before the show). Be prepared to wear some of the foam (eye protection is a must) since the wind will blow some on you. Do not use the non foam type it leaves a very shinny (oily) look where as the foam looks dryer but cleaner.

Door jams and inside door frames along with trunk jams are another place to check for dirt, judges do (some may open your door). If they are clean you can display the car with the doors open. The same goes for the fuel filler door, make sure its clean in there I have had at least 5 judges at different shows open the door to check for dirt. Like the doors if it clean you can show it with the fuel filler door open.

As far as the interior again it must be free of trash or clutter, no cd's, cd cases, cell phones, sun glassses basicly if it did not come with the car get it out of there. The carpet and mats must be clean and the carpet itself also needs to be clean and lint free. Now, if you want you can display a dealer brochure for your car and the owners manual either on the front seats or in the trunk area but, if you do that keep it simple. The judges want to look at the car and the less stuff you have in the car that did not come with the car the better.

Good luck, let us know how you did.

Why are you guys showing your new cars? I never got that.

No offense... but car shows are really for older restored cars... or am I wrong?

Not really, now a days there are tuner classes at most shows, even smaller/local shows. I've managed to win 4 tuner/sport compact trophy's this summer, and most of the older resto car guys usually welcome us w/ open arms.

I was talking with a guy who had a cherry '57 Bel-Air a couple weeks ago at a show and he was telling me that we are doing the some thing they were doing back in the 50's, just with newer technology. It's now about how new or old the car is, it's all about having pride in your ride and showing it off.

As for the original poster, Just make sure your car is spotless, in and out. Like someone else said, its about how clean it is, not how much $$$ you have sunk into it. Also it helps to have a display or something to draw more attention to your car, you already have your mod list/spec sheet, so it sounds like your off to a good start. Good luck.

Have Camera...Will Travel

~2007 LegacyGT.com Calendar (October)~

I can't find anymore show pics, but i will have some new ones after next weekend, because I will be @ another show and i'll get some then. If you want to see a pic of my car in my driveway and my mod list, check out my VBGarage

Have Camera...Will Travel

~2007 LegacyGT.com Calendar (October)~

Why are you guys showing your new cars? I never got that.

No offense... but car shows are really for older restored cars... or am I wrong?

I agree with you, for the most part. Not that cars have to be old, restored cars, I just don't see the point of showing a new, almost bone stock car.

I've been to a few shows around here with stockers showin. One where I saw an SRT-4 that was bone stock, with stuff inside of it, not even vacuumed out, only thing he had done to the car was put plastic covers over the wires. Covers you can get at any hardware store, the plastic ribbed, bout an inch diameter with one side split so they can fit it over the wires, that aren't even color-coordinated with the car.

Another was a xB that was bone stock except for solid pizza pan hubcaps, really ugly.

I just don't understand why ppl put these cars in the show, I understand an EXTREMELY clean 86 Dodge, that's different. But these ppl are basically driving a car off the lot and entering it in a show. All I'm sayin is do sumthin to the car, make it shine, dress it up, sumthin.

I don't think bone stock new cars belong in a car show. After all, what did that car do, to belong in the show over another car exactly like it that's drivin by?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Don't forget the political aspect. Make friends with people. Walk over, lean on their show cars, stuff like that- you want them to know you're friendly.

Good work on making a plaque for your car. In addition to that, and a very clean car, just make sure your area is presented well. A nice car in a bad location won't look good, so if you're able to put lighting and such to make the car stand out, that's something I'd do. Whatever happens, though, don't ever put cotton to pretend your wheels are burning out. Or don't put that loopy wired led lights all around your car. Those two are just tacky in my opinion.
-ben

Archived