LegacyGT.com

Tire Pressures and Soft Sidewalls...

heybige

I've had the ContiExtreme's (225/40/18) on for about 50 or so miles and it didn't take long for me to feel the difference between them and the Falken's stiffer sidewall.

While I like the softer sidewalls compliance and absorption of bumps, etc, the turn in and steering response is pretty lax. Closer to a Crown Vic than WRX.

Max tire pressure on the Conti's is 44. I've currently got them set to 39F/37R. Any recommendations on how to improve steering feel without seriously jeopardizing the tires' structural integrity?

Sorry, I can't be of much help. It looks like you have them at a pretty high PSI (I assume you measured them completely cold, as after resting for several hours or overnight). You may want to ask others who own the contis, like juxta or heightsgtltd.

Also, please provide us (me ;)) with your review of the tire when you have a chance. Some have mentioned that the compound on the newer contis may be different that those in the older versions (and most tirerack reviews are from people posting after they have 20K plus on their tires, thus older models).

I'll probably buy mine in a few months when it gets closer to winter time. Now the decision is whether to get them from tirerack or discount tire.

Tires with lower max inflation indicate a more robust construction. To me, this adds piece of mind should I ever be motoring down the freeway at 75 on a hot day and hitting the muffler that just fell off the beater in front of me.

The Avons seem to be the heaviest tire. Does that also mean that they have a low max psi? Anyone know off hand?

Archived