LegacyGT.com

Alternate AMP wiring route - unused grommet

rao

I didn't like the idea of running a power wire across the engine bay and then pushing it through the main harness grommet or moving the grommet aside and just shoving it in.

While poking around under the hood I noticed the hood release cable and how it went into the wheel well. I had run a power wire like this in a prior car and it worked out great.

It turns out that there is a spare grommet next to the main power bundle which puts it in a great place. Unfortunately I only had some 4 gauge power wire laying aournd (which is way more than I need or want) so I didn't run the wire yet.

You have to push the grommet out from inside of the car.

Here are some pics:

1st is the spare grommet net to the power bundle going to the fuse box

1115913749_9-19-04WheelWellWiring(1).JPG.324cbfb8a322fd0b94767dbfeb4075e5.JPG

Here is a better shot of the hood release cable as it goes into the wheel well

sweet jesus, nice find. more pics please, as i'm looking to install an amp and sub, myself...which from looking at other posts dealing with amp installs and such, looks to be a bitch...stupid sexy proprietary head unit/hvac :x

No I only had 4 gauge laying aorund and I don't need anything nearly that big. The grommet will handle welding cable if you wanted to run it :lol:

When I install the cable I will try to remember to take pics.

The cable will come in behind the fuse box and then you just need to go across to the center console and to the trunk. Should be easy.

Colonel, if you live close enough I would be happy to help you with the install.

Thanks Rao, I installed my 8 AWG power cable through that grommet today. Ran the wire down the side sills and into the trunk. That location is perfect for running power cables, I only had to remove the bottom and side covers of the dash to gain access to it.

I'll post what pictures I have soon

Here is the grommet. The cockpit side of the grommet is much bigger than the wheel well side, so I had to pull it out from inside the car. I used a knife to cut a X into the grommet and then put it back before pushing the wire through.

Thinking back, it would be easier to push wire through if the grommet was installed backwards with the larger side towards the wheel well. In my case, the grommet fell out a few times when I push the wire in from the wheel well.

DSCN1438.JPG.82227c19421424bfe9090bcae82c0cb1.JPG

DSCN1437.JPG.9c6e5e9fe3278bd0280798d949636e71.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed an amp power cable using this routing. However, the unused grommet is occupied in the wagon. I believe it contains the rear window washer hose. I just used the main grommet and will seal it up with silicone. Still a very good routing option....

I ran the wire down the driver side fo the car and it turned out to be a good choice since a large wire bundle already go through there and the existing wire tie downs had plenty of space to add the 8 AWG wire to it. :)

how did you pop the molding up like you did in the pics? :?:

I ran the wire down the driver side fo the car and it turned out to be a good choice since a large wire bundle already go through there and the existing wire tie downs had plenty of space to add the 8 AWG wire to it. :)

how did you pop the molding up like you did in the pics? :?:

Start with the plastic scuff plate which you can pull off by hand. Then pull the weather strip to gain access to the edge of the carpet. The wire tiedowns has clips that hold the carpet molding down as well, you'll need a screw driver to unclip the carpet molding and lift it up.

• 3 years later...
+1 An oldie but a goodie...thanks for bringing this back. I going to use it to route my water meth wires/tubing.

Don't mean to take this thread on a tangent, but you're gonna love the meth. I have it on my Buick and I gained 8 lbs of boost and 10 mph in the quarter. I went from 13.6@100.53 to 13.0@110. My tires suck, so my 60's are only 2.2's, I'm left spinning while slower cars beat me :lol:. I haven't begun to scratch the surface of what the meth can do. I'm aiming for 11'7s then calling it good :)

As far as the grommet, I have a bombproof older Kenwood amp that I'm gonna throw in the car and probably pick up a decent 10" sub to build around. I have an even more bombproof 15" Punch sub from 1993 (It won't die!) right now, but I don't want something that huge in the car. Those days are officially over for me. I concede to parenthood and responsibility... but not totally, lol

• 1 month later...

This thread saved my life.

Well, it actually saved my firewall and whatever else I would have drilled into. I came here before I grabbed the drill. It took awhile to find this location but I installed 4 gauge wire without drilling anything. Very cool. PITA but cool.