LegacyGT.com

Anyone gone to a Legacy 2.5i Wagon from an LGT Sedan?

Considering switching to a 2006 2.5i SE wagon from my GT sedan. Anyone done this and have any comments? I'm assuming that I'll greatly miss the awesome thrust of the GT, but the extra cargo room, lower gas prices, ability to upgrade the stereo, and increased MPG would be appreciated. And I never really adapted to the auto climate control.

A manual transmission is non-negotiable...

BTW, anybody have any pics with the wagon's sunroof in variouos stages of "openness"? The size look impressive.

If I've lost my mind, please let me know that, too.

Thanks,

-- Al

I didn't come from an LGT but I did own an 04 WRX wagon a year or so before I bought my 2.5i wagon (with a TSX somewhere inbetween)

Yes I miss the power of the turbo, but I like the space I gained. I don't race my car or anything and being 31 with plans to start a family soon made cost the deciding factor. I walked out of the dealership with an 06 2.5i SE for just under 20,000 which I thought was a great deal considering the sticker was 23,700.

Anyway, sure there will be times when you are getting on the highway or looking to pass someone uphill and that power just won't quite compare to the turbo, but the 2.5i is not exactly a slouch.

I am recently out of my 3000 mile break in period so I am pushing it a little harder and I find that there is a good amount of oomph in that engine when I need it. I removed the intake silencer and that helps add some nice growl (and I think a little better throttle response) so it makes me think I have power :icon_bigg .

Old

http://www.jacktevnan.com/images/wrx/side.jpg

New

http://www.jacktevnan.com/images/Legacy/soob4.jpg

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

Keep the lgt :) This is how I see it and maybe this is wrong but it is still my view. I hated driving until I got my 03 WRX. I had a mitsubishi mirage before that and I drove my parents cars before that. Driving was always a chore. When I got my WRX I actually enjoyed driving. I couldn't wait to go to work in the morning. I would take it for drives up the mountain with my wife at night. I couldn't get enough. The same can be said of my LGT.

I figure if you are going to spend 20ish k on something that you won't make you smile everytime you use it, then I think it is a waste. Cars are huge purchases and you should enjoy being in them and driving them. I am sure some people like their 2.5i's but the Legacy GT is just so much more fun. You have experienced it and will miss it. I drive my wifes tribeca sometimes and while it is enjoyable, I don't dream of getting in it and hauling up the mountain.

It is kinda like buying a home, or a new computer, or anything else. You buy what you can afford first of all. But if the difference between enjoying your purchase and just using it is small, get what you will enjoy. If you really need the space then I guess you do what you have to do, but if it is more of a decision about saving gas, don't do it. Depreciation has already kicked your ass once, might as well not let it kick it again :)

Here is some quick math. The LGT will cost you around $2321 in gas if you drive 15,000 miles a year and get 21 mpg at $3.25 a gallon. If you had the 2.5i Wagon, with the cost would be $1611, or $710 dollars difference. That is with 15,000 miles and 27 mpg at 2.90 a gallon. Decide if the less "speedy" ride is worth 710 dollars in savings a year, or if the ability to mod the stereo and the larger storage space is worth that. If it is, then pull the trigger. It might save you speeding tickets which would keep your insurance cheaper :) But if you enjoy being able to take over most cars, being able to haul up a mountain, or being able to take off quickly, then it might be worth 710 dollars a year to keep your LGT.

Crazy stupid power and acceleration are fun, but 99% of the time it's just potential.

The 2.5i wagon is a really nice car, with a manual it has some grunt.

I get a real (not computer) 27-29 mpg in my normal driving, spend $3 less per tankful than if I had to use premium.

Sometimes I wish I had the Turbo, but I drive about 500 miles a week and the economy is a major factor.

P.

Thats what I get on normal driving too and my gas mileage on long trips is ridiculously good. Love the wagon and it was awesome in the snow. I don't know about you but that $710 is money that can go into a new stereo, new swaybars, tint, or savings. Thats like about 3.5k in the first 5 years of ownership on a car that will have less cost of ownership than a Turbo car especially in the long run. Also I have a 6 month old so I have better things to spend that money on right now ;)

Personally I think there are cars with similar "go" of the LGT that will give you similar gas savings (maybe not quite as high a savings) as the 2.5i. But those cars don't have AWD, a wagon or a personality for the price but hey it may be an option for you.

It's worth considering whether the financial gains made from reduced fuel costs and cargo space offset the financial costs, which are considerable, I might add, from switching cars this frequently. Compulsive car buying is an expensive hobby.

Are you still considering selling this car, Opie?

I'd buy opies car in a heartbeat, if the stars aligned just right that I had the cash and a way to get it here. I know opie was considering a re-org of his fleet, but more recently he has been talking about swapping wheels on the GT...

Atlantic blue, black interior, 5MT, tinted, lowered on Spec B suspension, and has Prodrives and Brembos, JDM engine bay covers, JDM tail lights, JDM Grille (teh money!), a lip spoiler instead of a wing, painted mudflaps, and probably a bunch of other nice stuff... Nearly exactly what I would do anyway, already done.

Opie's GT

Actually, after reading that list of mods, I like every single one. REALLY. I would actually be a bit hard pressed to further modify this car. it even has the Subaru/STI cubby guages, and WRX black-insert pedals.

Only things I would add...

Autospeed or other turbo-back and stage 2 tune.

RBS front lip spoiler.

Headlight side indicator de-amber and blackout, and Low-beam HID conversion.

MAYBE swap the Subaru rear lip spoiler for a K2Gear version, eventually. But lip spoiler of any kind is a plus vs. the wing spoiler.

I might otherwise have to re-tint the front side windows a little lighter, to avoid the five-oh in IA, not that I dislike the way it looks now.

THAT IS IT. It would be DONE. flippin' perfect.

If you are still considering selling that GT... Hold on for just a bit longer, and don't trade the Prodrives for BBS, unless they are RGRs...

I would fly to drive this car back home. I would pay to have this car shipped, if I could afford it after buying the car...

Sorry for the jaunt off topic... but opie said "get rid of GT" and considering his car, that triggered the above response.

Thanks for all the input! I sense that folks are content with their non-turbo wagons. I'll have to drive one soon to make sure it's right for me, but considering its pedigree, I'm 99% sure it's the one for me.

BTW, I'm not one to swap cars regularly (motorcycles are another matter entirely :icon_bigg). Life changes and you flex with it.... I got such a good deal on my LGT that there won't be much of a hit by swapping it for a wagon. I'll just have to find the right dealer.

C'mon down...just bring your checkbook! :icon_bigg

Are you still considering selling this car, Opie?

I'd buy opies car in a heartbeat, if the stars aligned just right that I had the cash and a way to get it here. I know opie was considering a re-org of his fleet, but more recently he has been talking about swapping wheels on the GT...

Atlantic blue, black interior, 5MT, tinted, lowered on Spec B suspension, and has Prodrives and Brembos, JDM engine bay covers, JDM tail lights, JDM Grille (teh money!), a lip spoiler instead of a wing, painted mudflaps, and probably a bunch of other nice stuff... Nearly exactly what I would do anyway, already done.

Opie's GT

Actually, after reading that list of mods, I like every single one. REALLY. I would actually be a bit hard pressed to further modify this car. it even has the Subaru/STI cubby guages, and WRX black-insert pedals.

Only things I would add...

Autospeed or other turbo-back and stage 2 tune.

RBS front lip spoiler.

Headlight side indicator de-amber and blackout, and Low-beam HID conversion.

MAYBE swap the Subaru rear lip spoiler for a K2Gear version, eventually. But lip spoiler of any kind is a plus vs. the wing spoiler.

I might otherwise have to re-tint the front side windows a little lighter, to avoid the five-oh in IA, not that I dislike the way it looks now.

THAT IS IT. It would be DONE. flippin' perfect.

If you are still considering selling that GT... Hold on for just a bit longer, and don't trade the Prodrives for BBS, unless they are RGRs...

I would fly to drive this car back home. I would pay to have this car shipped, if I could afford it after buying the car...

Sorry for the jaunt off topic... but opie said "get rid of GT" and considering his car, that triggered the above response.

I was afraid of that... I don't want to rip someone off, that isn't what I am out for, ESPECIALLY for such a sweet car... but I had a feeling it might be "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" type of deal.

Are you looking for more than NEW LGT money? I was thinking somewhere between used 05 and going rate for a new 06/07, due to the fact that you have done some choice mods, but it is still a used car. I also have to be able to afford to drive or ship the car to Iowa, otherwise it'd be pointless.

I'll likely PM you in a month or two, and see what the situation is, if you are interested in making a move, too.

Sorry for OT, but it might be Opie going from LGT sedan to his wife's 2.5i wagon, and that would be applicable to the topic. :D

Something I don't recall seeing mentioned is any difference in insurance premiums for the 2.5i and GT.

Can anybody comment on this?

My LGT Sedan is about $30 more per year than my 2.5i Wagon.

A manual transmission is non-negotiable...

BTW, anybody have any pics with the wagon's sunroof in variouos stages of "openness"? The size look impressive.

Why not get an Outback 2.5 XT with the 5MT? If something happened to my 5MT LGT wagon, that would be my choice to (1) keep the 5MT and (2) still have a wagon.

I don't have pics of my moonroof, but I love it!! Another reason to have a wagon!!

Ron

Why not get an Outback 2.5 XT with the 5MT? If something happened to my 5MT LGT wagon, that would be my choice to (1) keep the 5MT and (2) still have a wagon.

I don't have pics of my moonroof, but I love it!! Another reason to have a wagon!!

I'd consider the Outback, but the price bothers me vs. the base Legacy wagon. That being said, if I can find a dealer with a properly equipped Outback at a "fire sale" price, I'd be VERY tempted!

Look for a used LGT Wagon 5speed.

After driving a loaner 05 Legacy Wagon non GT for one day it was another generic car to me. I will take the 22MPG with premium in our 05 LGT wagon manual anyday.

We love our LGT. Interestingly enough I noticed in Consumer Reports the LGT had the highest satisfaction rate of all family cars(82%). Basically survey of owners if they would buy the car again.

I'd consider the Outback, but the price bothers me vs. the base Legacy wagon. That being said, if I can find a dealer with a properly equipped Outback at a "fire sale" price, I'd be VERY tempted!

FWIW, I optioned out an LGT Limited Wagon (with the 5EAT), and it come out to a $33,7xx sticker. I then optioned an Outback 2.5 XT Limited Wagon with a 5MT and the same basic options, and it was $32,877.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the LGT versus the Outback, but realistically I could use the ground clearance of the Outback, and I have gotten spoiled to the space in the wagon, especially with the dog guard in place. I can pack it to the roof, and still have use of the back seat. And I also must have a 5MT.

Ron

Archived