LegacyGT.com

Ideas, info, or anything please.

O.k. well I am pretty new here. I recently purchasied a 2006 spec b #258 and it is my first Subaru. So what I am looking for is any suggestions in modification pathways, ie. quickest, safest, and cheapest power. I also have e-mailed several shops around the D.C. area looking for installation service and quotes. The only thing that I have done so far is an accessport, and want more. I know I could spend the rest of my life trying to find stuff using the search button, but figured I would try this. Thanks in advance.

I know I could spend the rest of my life trying to find stuff using the search button

That's your best bet, because everyone has different needs/wants from modifying their car. Search for the kinds of things you want to do, and read. You can also contact many of the vendors on here for more recommendations.

I could tell you everything I did to my spec.B, but it wouldn't fulfill the "cheapest" criteria. :p

-Mike-

Cheapest: Take off the up pipe, down pipe, and mid pipe. Go berserker on the cats with a piece of rebar and a hammer. Email TDC, tell them what you did, and ask for a new map for your AP. Total cost: $150 plus $60 for new exhaust gaskets.

After that, you're gonna have to come off the change purse, sugartits.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I didn't mean cheapest in that sense. I guess I should have made it a little more clear. I meant most bang for my money, ie quickest path to nice power. SAFELY, without breaking my car. I am not opposed to spending, just don't want to drop 3,000-4,000 on a new turbo and fueling yet. I love my AP it was a little pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I didn't mean cheapest in that sense. I guess I should have made it a little more clear. I meant most bang for my money, ie quickest path to nice power. SAFELY, without breaking my car. I am not opposed to spending, just don't want to drop 3,000-4,000 on a new turbo and fueling yet. I love my AP it was a little pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I'm kinda in the same boat actually. I don't want to upgrade the turbo. Right now I've got:

AP TDC Stage 1.5 $875

Used Borla CBE $575

Used Cobb catted DP $450

Next steps are the group buy on the Gruppe-S equal length header/up-pipe. I plan on getting Crucial treatment on everything (headers/up inside and outside, dp exterior, turbo exterior coat with port-n-polish and heat dispersant on discharge side). Then I'll have Jon at TDC work with me on some e-tuning on the final package. So that's going to be around $2000 more assuming I can find another stock turbo to send in since I can't have the downtime. It'll be less if I just take the car out of commission since I have alternate transportation but I'd rather not. Plus I'm kind of a stickler about always having completely stock components on hand.

Your next step from where you are now would be a good down-pipe and up-pipe along with one of TDC's excellent tunes. That'll be under a grand if you do the install yourself. The problem is that it will never be enough.

Easiest thing right now would be just find a good down-pipe and load the AP Stage 2 map. An up isn't completely necessary.

Damn it. I just realized that the money I'm talking could've put that eagle lift in the garage. "I'll just do this for now" really starts to add up.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

You have to have a complete turboback exhaust to go to stage two don't you? My immediate plan is to get a Turboback and a KN intake and then a TDC tune, hopefully I can find a shop and get that soon. I do want an aftermarket turbo, just not yet. I am the same way I will keep everything that comes off of the car, except maybe the exhaust.

Cool, you're right, I just went through Cobb's frequently asked questions and found it again. I must have miss read it. You can do it with just a DP, but NOT just a catback. Still want the whole turboback though. I miss being able to hear my car.

Archived