LegacyGT.com

Looks like a manual for the Limited...is this new?

IIRC, in the past, Limiteds were automatic only. But of all of the Legacy pics that show leather interior, many of them show a manual trans, as well. The specs on the Need-Desire site also indicate that a 5-speed will be available with the Limited. Might have to look into that, if I'm grownup enough to want leather. I'm thinking that I might be. :D Of course, if the Limited cracks the $30K ceiling, that's another matter. Kevin

The GT started in 96 as a slightly lesser car, can't remember if it was auto-only. 97, the GT was available with both. 98 they added the limited, auto-only. 99, you could get the Ltd with both. :) The BE/BH was a little different, I think both 03 and 04 the GT was essentially a Ltd in trim, no lesser option. the prior 3 years, I think the GT/GT Ltd was seperated. I don't remember any Ltd wagons however. That's purely all off the top of my head, I'd have to reference one of my sites for accurate info though. (Some people remember sports stats, I remember Subaru/car stats. :D)

[quote name='gtguy']IIRC, in the past, Limiteds were automatic only. But of all of the Legacy pics that show leather interior, many of them show a manual trans, as well. The specs on the Need-Desire site also indicate that a 5-speed will be available with the Limited. Might have to look into that, if I'm grownup enough to want leather. I'm thinking that I might be. :D Of course, if the Limited cracks the $30K ceiling, that's another matter. Kevin[/quote] They have been showing the GT with the leather interior and the moonroof since the beginning of it's release. If this is the limited then I would assume that it will come with a MT. I was hoping that they would offer the limited with a MT but normally Subaru has been known for only offering AT with the "premium" packages. I will more than likely get a limited model. I would love to have the leather in my wagon.

Why not row your own gears. I think we'll see a 5MT in the FXT Pre. Pack soon also. There has been a heated debate on NASIOC a number of times about the trims, but the agreement was that a manual needs to be present in both trims if two were to be chosen. Even some more well to do individuals still like to row their gears. Why else would BMW make an SMG, even though clutchless in the foot, you still row your gears.

[quote name='gtmy04']Think you guys are still a bit too dismissive of the 5AT - it's fun, fun, fun. I'm an MT convert!! :lol:[/quote] I have considered the AT, but I just can't be sure that I will be ok with it. I am hesitant to go away from the MT because it's the sure thing. Does it hold RPM? How is the lag? Maybe you should start a thread or something describing your experiences with it! I know I am interested.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Maybe you should start a thread or something describing your experiences with it! I know I am interested.[/quote] Yes, you should. I want to get a MT but my wife doesn't drive a MT. I'm still thinking about getting the MT since, IMO, it adds to the pleasure of driving. I can also save money on the price tag of the car. I can always teach her how to drive a MT (she is affraid though). Even if I get an AT, I will still end up driving 90% of the time. But anyhow, I think I would feel selfish to get a MT as we will only have one car. :? Unless the AT is truely fun to drive with :?:

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

These are the results of the Tsukuba Circuit 3 lap battle: Legacy GT (MT): 3:34.37 Audi RS6: 3:36.05 Legacy GT (AT): 3:44.36 So ten seconds overall, but more like four seconds per lap. Keep in mind that the JDM auto Legacy GT is only rated at 260PS, vs. 280PS for the manual GT.

[quote name='kage']These are the results of the Tsukuba Circuit 3 lap battle: Legacy GT (MT): 3:34.37 Audi RS6: 3:36.05 Legacy GT (AT): 3:44.36 So ten seconds overall, but more like four seconds per lap. Keep in mind that the JDM auto Legacy GT is only rated at 260PS, vs. 280PS for the manual GT.[/quote] Though they are rated differently, I have to wonder if they really ARE any different besides the additional drivetrain loss of the automatic. MT's have shown 247-255 chp estimate on dynos in Japan. I haven't been told whether the automatic is the same or not to really compare, but the 280PS isn't 280. Four seconds per lap doesn't sound like much, but it is on a track w/ drivers of this caliber. Any of those guys could probably whoop me in the Volvo w/ me in the Legacy MT. I ain't a professional.

My main concern about the automatic is the turbo lag. When I test drove a WRX they would only let me take out a manual. It was just annoying to hit the gas and have the lag set in. There was no way I was gonna buy a AT at that time, and after driving I couldn't believe that they sold even one of them.

Test drive a Forester XT auto to get a taste of the GT powerplant. The GT auto will have the added benefit of an additional cog. Turbo lag in the XT is more or less nonexistent. If not for the slight whine, you could pretty much be fooled into thinking it was a 6 cylinder with loads of ass whomping torque.

I know the US will be getting a different engine, but turbo lag in the 2.0 is almost non-existent save for about ½ second from a standing start. Any rolling start and the car just responds. Maximum torque is at 2400 rpm and the titanium rotor spools up very quickly.

I drove the FXT auto and manual almost back to back, a week or so apart IIRC, and both are impressive. Now I'm not an auto guy (unless it's a truck which is a pain to drive when hauling stuff which is the only time I drive a truck), but I was really impressed by the FXT auto setup. Nice and responsive. I never drove a WRX auto, but my dealership wouldn't even get one unless ordered! The FXT sure is fast in manual form, though the auto version isn't all that bad. I just really like rowing my own gears over a tiptronic, auto, or whatever it be. I feel a lot more control on the road with an actual clutch and gearshift mechanism.

I guess the extra .5 liters really helps the torque and lag out. Frankly I am getting sick of the MT in my WRX. Sometimes I just wish I could cruise. Then again there are times that I just love ripping through gears. i just don't know if I will be disappointed one way or another.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Frankly I am getting sick of the MT in my WRX.[/quote] I hear you Dr. Z, it annoys me about twice a week being in the wrong gear and expecting more than you get. BTW, gas prices are insane here at the moment, the cheapest 91 I could find yesterday was $2.30 - not driving in boost much anymore :(

[quote name='gtmy04']I know the US will be getting a different engine, but turbo lag in the 2.0 is almost non-existent save for about ½ second from a standing start. Any rolling start and the car just responds. Maximum torque is at 2400 rpm and the titanium rotor spools up very quickly.[/quote] That is mostly due to the twin scroll turbo. The twin scroll isn't necessary when you have the natural torque advantage of the 2.5 liter engine.

[quote name='kage'][quote name='gtmy04']I know the US will be getting a different engine, but turbo lag in the 2.0 is almost non-existent save for about ½ second from a standing start. Any rolling start and the car just responds. Maximum torque is at 2400 rpm and the titanium rotor spools up very quickly.[/quote] That is mostly due to the twin scroll turbo. The twin scroll isn't necessary when you have the natural torque advantage of the 2.5 liter engine.[/quote] Yes, but I still dream of a 2.5L w/ twin scroll.

Archived