LegacyGT.com

anyone tried octane 89 or higher?

well, you do live up north, so the air is a bit dense than down here.. there is a diminishing returns as an octane rating is nothing more than to prevent knock or pre-combustion and the cost of paying too high of an octane is just wasting money.
Keefe

I used to put 91/93 in mine before the gas got expensive, I now go to Kroger to use there gas...89, its typically 10 cents cheaper a gallon. I actually get the same gas milage.
...when death calls, Im good. I got caller ID.:icon_bigg

it was out of habit, my previous cas had a turbo and the car before that a supercharger. so when i pulled to the pump id naturally hit the higher octane.
...when death calls, Im good. I got caller ID.:icon_bigg

Lower octane fuel is actually more volatile - it has more explosive power. Additives are added to low octane fuel just to make it less explosive, and hence raise the octane rating. This higher octane fuel is for engines with higher compression and hotter combustion chamber designs that could cause a more volatile fuel to ignite by a hot spot before the spark plug even fires. That's called detonation, it sounds like a knock - and it's bad. If you're not getting a knock using the low octane gas specified for your car, then it’s operating as efficiently as it can, the explosion is as powerful as it can be, and you won’t get any extra power by switching to a less volatile fuel.

I use 91 octain at all fuel ups. I tryed the lower 89 and really my engine did not like it at all. Has anyone expereanced this?

well the thing you have to keep in mind is that you have the GT. the turbo engine doesn't really like 89 octane and below all too much. Whereas we the owners of the NA engine dont really require the high grade octane. i have tried using the 89 and 91 octanes for several fills each. i have to admit that the 89 and 91 "seems" to perform a tad bit better... but the power gains between 87 and the other higher octanes just cant justify the huge cost difference between them.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

I use 91 octain at all fuel ups. I tryed the lower 89 and really my engine did not like it at all. Has anyone expereanced this?

that's cause you drive a gt ;) they are made for premium gas only.

if you have a regular 2.5i just use 87. that is what they are made for. i used to get 93 all the time in my RS, stupid mistake that was. if your paranoid about how "unclean" it is...

Chevron Products - Techron Concentrate Plus

that every so often and you're good to go.

Isn't the 2.5i engine tuned for 87 octane?

Since 1997. My '96 cost me a fortune at the pump.

Its been proven that if you do a lot of hwy driving (long trips are good) then you should use 89 octane instead of 87. One gets better gas mileage that outweighs the extra cost.

Its been proven that if you do a lot of hwy driving (long trips are good) then you should use 89 octane instead of 87. One gets better gas mileage that outweighs the extra cost.

I'm sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me.

i have noticed this too. i get an average of an extra 30-50 miles on 89 vs 87octane during my drives from milpitas/sanjose to san diego. and if my driving habits are questioned... i cruise control at 75mph on I-5 for about a good 360 miles w/o hitting traffic. and this is where i get my basis of the extra 30-50 miles on the tank.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Archived