LegacyGT.com

Why does the 2.5i Engine not have good power at the 4,000+ rpms?

Has anyone noticed the 2006 2.5i engine seems to pull nicely at low rpms but kinda becomes less and less effective at the higher rpms? Kinda weird since I am coming off a Honda Prelude where the engine pulled more power at higher rpms.

Has anyone noticed the 2006 2.5i engine seems to pull nicely at low rpms but kinda becomes less and less effective at the higher rpms? Kinda weird since I am coming off a Honda Prelude where the engine pulled more power at higher rpms.

Yea I've noticed that for a while...especially since I drive a lot on the innerstate; if you try to punch it while your already going 50+ it lags big time.

Yet, lower end is very punchy

yeah..my 05 pulls pretty strong and then dies at around 5k or 5.5k:lol: Its pretty impressive for the N/A. ONe of my friend's w/ a stg 2 GT was kinda impressed that it had some punch to it. He was expecting worse...:lol:

hey the way i look at it my car might be slow compared to others but they dont look this good driving a car like i do.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I don't think there's a ton of torque in the higher rev range. I was on the highway the other day doing about 55 and dropped down to 4'th to pass a truck that was dropping rocks. I really expected more, especially considering the nice pull from idle up in 1'st and 2'nd I've been experiencing (as others have mentioned).

No turbo, no vtech....

I drove an 06 2.5i for awhile, goes well off the line, good low end torque, then nothing in the midrange then a little squirt of extra vvti power in the last 500 rpms or so.

Its good for what it is but if you want midrange you need the GT, GT is the opposite, little down low, little up top, tons of midrange.

Could the lack of top end be due to restrictive exhaust?

I don't know how restrictive it is, I'm sure it could be opened up a little. But I must say I just absolutely love the growl of this engine. It sounds awefully sweet in the mid RPM range compared to other cars I've owned.

Ed

USDM N/A 2.5's have never had a good top end. Its not a honda motor, it has good low end torque not a high-reving power band.

However, the 4EAT sportshift 2.5i I drive occasionally seems to do great on the highway when using the sportshift. 80mph feels like nothing. Alot better than the 2000 legacy auto I also drive occasionally.

Archived