LegacyGT.com

Breaking in your new LGT

I was in the market for an 05 GT, but Carmax sucks and their car had too many flaws for me to spitt out 21,998. So for only 3,500 more I'm driving a brand new silver (favorite) one.

It came with 700 miles of who knows who dogged it miles on it.

I hit the revlimmiter once (I couldn't stop myself)

Now I've been babying it, but its soooo hard to do.

Anyone else got something to say?

I think you'll get a a lot of different answers to your question.

Whatever you do... make sure you check the oil. Most turbos will use some oil. It's okay. Just don't run low. You may already be 1/2 quart low.

IMHO, whatever has happened ... has already happened. I would keep it under 2500 rpm until the engine is warmed up. Then you can do whatever you want.

You're going to get a million different opinions on this, so here's mine anyway (based on personal experience with two different cars):

Drive it hard, just don't bounce off the rev limiter... What has worked for me on a rebuild in my dsm and on the lgt is to go out to a highway, go to wot (say 30-60ish mph) then engine brake back down to 30ish again. Do this for a few (say 5-6 times) then go home and change the engine oil.

The theory: Driving the car hard, under boost will seat the rings under the increased pressures and heat that boost creates. Engine braking will then cool down the engine as it draws a large volume of air into the engine without as much fuel / combustion. This assures that things don't get too hot; you're looking for an optimal temp to seat things with.

Finally, changing the engine oil AND filter will remove any metallic particles that have been shaved off the rings / cylinder walls and that have been caught in the oil and filter.

So strictly speaking for engines, that's what I reccomend. Transmissions and valve trains are another story, though, and that's where the extended breakin period does hold value in my opinion. They don't see as much of the heat (speaking of drivetrain) during the engine breakin that I'm describing, and thus can take longer for friction to cause things to mesh properly.

Archived