LegacyGT.com

Air intake help

scottybuckeye

I don't think you can really expect much in terms of power. They will create more of nice "whoosh" sound. SPT is a legacy specific application, which will not cause any warrenty issues (seeing that it is a subaru partnership). K&N also has an option. Personally, I have an AVO drop-in filter and have removed the intake silencer; this provides a good amount of noise. There are a few guys with the SPT unit who really like it, they will be chimming in.

I'm hearing that the SPT (Legacy-specific) does not work well with the Cobb Access Port. To me that's a shame because I would have liked to go the SPT route.

Can anyone confirm this?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't know much about air intakes, but I hear I'll get slightly more power from them and better gas mileage. Is this true?

Probably a decent claim - many members who've logged their stock LGTs with use of various aftermarket intakes have reported slightly elevated EGTs as well as other indicators that such a change slightly leans out the A/F mixture. So small gains in either of these two sectors isn't unreasonable.

However, exactly how much improvement you'll see - especially in "power" gains - will be somewhat variable, and will more than likely not be noticeable via "seat of the pants" butt-dyno'ing. Certainly, the audible differences itself may make your vehicle feel like it's going faster..... ;)

I'm hearing that the SPT (Legacy-specific) does not work well with the Cobb Access Port. To me that's a shame because I would have liked to go the SPT route.

Can anyone confirm this?

Since Cobb still maintains that they do not recommend the use of *ANY* aftermarket intake with *any* of their off-the-shelf AccessPORT maps, at *any* "Stage*, I'd definitely say that the above statement is true.

While TDC has reported that their preliminary data from the SPT intake does not look good, I don't believe that they've yet to reply with whether or not they can "compensate" for this intake's behavior (i.e. as some have been able to do with the Perrin Short Ram).

In any case, saying that a custom-tune for this item (assuming that the LGT in-question is no-longer "stock" otherwise) is needed is probably a safe bet.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Out of curiosity, why do air intakes and ECU software apps not mesh together?

Tuning, timing and combustion.

It's not really a dumb question to ask because honestly I don't think most people get it.

You get a PDX tuning map or a TDC custom tuned map for the stock airbox, it works great, you then get the SPT or K&N intake and all the sudden, all of that data the ECU has... is basically pissed into the wind. It has a harder time re-learning (properly) how to adjust it's timing while in the end could cause some damage to the car (from what I hear) if not tuned with (see Protuned).

I did check my mileage on hi-way before the intake and was some where around 25.5-26mpg. After intake i could easily get 28 on hi-way if you lift your foot. that was of course before you guys ruined me and now at stage 2/with tdc tune.[kickass map]

I have an 06 LGT MT and I've logged about 1500 miles using the SPT intake. I've gotten as high an average as 27mpg highway with the stock intake. The highest average of registered with the SPT intake is 30mpg.

Cheers!

Archived