LegacyGT.com

Track days and Brake swap question

legacy_y_tu

For those that do track days and swap out their brakes at the track for a track pad here's a question. Since you obviously can't resurface the rotors before swapping on the track pads how is their performance affected? I would think you'd have to do a few laps to bed them and try to get everything seated nice? Just looking to see what everyone's routine is.

I find it a good idea to use them a little before the track day. BOXR runs HP+ at the track but HPS on the street. We swap his pads a day or two before his track day... Worst case, slap the pads on and do the bed-in procedure.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

For those that do track days and swap out their brakes at the track for a track pad here's a question. Since you obviously can't resurface the rotors before swapping on the track pads how is their performance affected? I would think you'd have to do a few laps to bed them and try to get everything seated nice? Just looking to see what everyone's routine is.

If you are worried about mixing compounds of the transfer layer, why not just get a second set of rotors too? Swap them on the night before.

I find it a good idea to use them a little before the track day. BOXR runs HP+ at the track but HPS on the street. We swap his pads a day or two before his track day... Worst case, slap the pads on and do the bed-in procedure.

I was thinking of this but I was worried a decent high temp track pad would work like crap on the roads since they'd be outside their designed operating temp. I've never run high temp pads so I'm not totally sure what kind of perfomance hit to expect when their cold. If the hit isn't too bad and just requires a little more caution on the road then I guess that's what I'll try. Now I just otta decide on what pads.

If you are worried about mixing compounds of the transfer layer, why not just get a second set of rotors too? Swap them on the night before.

Well, honestly I don't think I'll be hitting the track that frequently so the cost of new rotors wouldn't make sense. Although I have been eyeballing some slotted DBA rotors........hhmmmm. Do you think I'll have problems mixing compounds?

I use to just run the 1st session nice and easy on first 5 laps with just 6 to 7/10ths braking, taking it fairly easy on the brakes and making the brake zones long..

so by the time I run around about 10 to 12 mins the track, I would run to 2 to 3 laps with full 10/10 braking (think compressing the brake zones where you HAVE to do trail-braking to get that last ounce of speed down in order to make a late apex).. then I cool the brakes down by a good 2 to 3 laps before I pull into the pits to park the car.. if you time it out right, you should have it all done within your session.

10 mins - 6 to 7/10ths braking

5 mins - 10/10th braking

5 miins = little or no braking at all

20 min session

usually from my experience is that track pads leave a layer that a street pad wont grind off during daily driving. So I dont think you'll have a problem with "mixing". The track pads are usually more agressive on the rotors when cold, so it's going to eat away the street compound layer anyways until the heat is built up for the track pads. As Chris Lock said, just get a set of stock rotors for the street and one set for the track.. it's not that much harder to take out 3 more bolts in the process of swapping out the front rotors. It's a good investment anyways, eventually you'll just end up replacing the rotors anyway you see it.

Keefe

Archived