LegacyGT.com

Why Subaru doesn't sell more Legacys

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reply to my inquiry about how Subaru reports its sales, I received the following answer:

Dear Mr. Urban:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

When Subaru posts sales numbers in press releases it can certainly be confusing. Basically, Subaru separates all models into five model lines: Legacy, Outback, Tribeca, Forester, and Impreza. There can be confusion when it comes to the Legacy and Outback line because there are Legacy Outback models and also an Impreza Outback Sport.

When you are looking at the 2006 sales numbers, the Legacy model line will include the 2.5i Legacy Senda and Wagon, the 2.5i Special Edition Sedan and Wagon, the 2.5i Limited Sedan and Wagon, and the 2.5 GT Limited Sedan and Wagon. The Outback model line will include the Impreza Outback Sport, the 2.5i Outback Wagon, the 2.5i Outback Limited Wagon, the 2.5XT Outback Limited Wagon, The 3.0R Outback Wagon, the 3.0R LL Bean Edition Outback Sedan and Wagon, and the 3.0R VDC Outback Wagon.

I hope this information helps clarify the sales numbers for you. If you have any further questions, or should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We wish you many safe, happy miles on your Legacy GT Limited Wagon!

Best wishes,

Gina Holwell

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

But as others have pointed out, what she states is not true. Legacy sales include Outbacks. Another sign that Subaru of America could be doing better in marketing their cars, particularly the Legacy. The Legacy, especially the Legacy GT is simply off the radar for the vast majority of car-buying Americans.

I'll tell you why Subaru doesn't sell more legacys....

THEY DON'T HAVE ANY ON THE LOTS!

I have checked in four surrounding states, and not one manual transmission Legacy GT. Not new or used. maybe 2 or 3 automatics, and a half dozen to a dozen 2.5is.

I may have to go more than 500 miles to get a manual legacy.

In my search, I did find OCDetail's car... at Willey Honda in Bountiful, UT. Listed for 23,695. Nice car. Very far away. So is Opie's car, in Florida, and various others.

If Subarus were FWD, even optional, they would lose out even bigger to the honda/toyota/GM/Ford/VW FWD crowd, for not having the selling point of AWD going for it.

i completely disagree. subaru has an above average reliabilty record and its own name. a salesman/friend told me that there are so many people that would love to get their hands on a new subbie but find out at the dealer than the sticker price is around 20g's . if subaru offered a fwd impreza or similar car for 14G's or cheaper, many people would buy it because people want something different and there's a huge econo compact market. there's so many cobalts, corollas, neons, and base model civics that a new subbie for a great price would sell.

Archived