LegacyGT.com

Why Subaru doesn't sell more Legacys

Last week I went to City Side Subaru in Belmont, MA to test drive a Forester LLBean and find out more about it's self-leveling suspension (Tokico self-leveling shocks that work like Nivomats but are not packaged as elegantly; they have an external gas/oil can tacked on to the side). I pulled in front of the brand new show room with my 05 LGT wagon.

Not one Legacy in sight. None on the showroom floor. None on the lot. Rather, a sea of Foresters and Outback wagons, with some B-9's, Impreza wagons, and the occasional WRX thrown in. In their highlighted showroom window, they had a blue WRX STI for the performance folks. A search of their inventory shows a grand total of one new Legacy (never mind a GT) in their inventory.

The enthusiastic, young salesman showed extraordinary knowledge about the Forester (he owns one) but seemed pretty clueless about my LGT wagon.

Most people browsing the showroom and lot would not even know Subaru makes a Legacy. Admittedly, some other Boston area showrooms are more Legacy friendly, but it's very clear that Legacys (with the possible exception of the spec B) are the step-child. Put a bunch of them on the lot, a couple in the showroom, and get people to drive them. You will sell them; affordable, stylish, safe, fast, fun, reliable, and 4-wheel drive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same sort of thing in Des Moines, Iowa. Lots of Outbacks, Imprezas, Foresters, and a few B9s... and two or three legacys. one or two 2.5i models, and a silver 5EAT GT, which has been there for the better part of a year.

Not much, and no knowledge on staff.

I am really starting to think that Legacy is being treated as an also-ran by SOA itself. Something to sell a few of, along side the Outback.

Spec B is a poor flagship, and not because of the platform and hardware. who is going to buy a Spec B in one color, with one specification for that kind of money, besides people like us who know and love legacys? and those of us here, have a hard enough time with the lack of configuration at that price point.

With the new IS out, and 07 G35 coming, let alone the usual 35k suspects... I don't see how the Spec B is a competitor in any kind of volume. It is a great car, but it isn't easy for people to buy them. They are relatively unknown, and very inflexible in terms of colors and options. Not everyone even wants a manual transmission, although I am soo glad Subaru offers it, when so many don't.

Subaru is synomonous with Outback firstly and then Forester's. Dealers stock what sells.

I personally knew nothing of LGT till my wife showed up with it when she was car shopping on her own. I was grateful of its slow selling since it was sold without any negotiation at Invoice - $2000 rebate to me.

Well Im glad to see that the Spec. B. is only offered in manual transmission. Its a bold move and well, why dilute the LGT by having an auto. And no one post about how they have an auto for traffic jams during the commute I already know....though my sister does just fine without an auto.

The sedan market is a crowded one, with players the likes of the Accord, Camry, Maxima, and previously the Taurus, just to name a few. But there aren't many wagons out there these days outside of Volvo (and they're expensive), and SOA did a nice job turning the Outback and then the Forrester into SUV competitors. With the Tribeca (blech!), the market was just too lucrative to ignore (think Porsche Cayenne), where the profit would be good enough to reinvest in things like the STI and even the Spec B.

The real question that you ask, though, is why people aren't choosing the Legacy over more bland choices like the Accord and Camry, and it's a tough one to answer. I think it's inertia, mostly, not that those two venerable sedans aren't nice and reliable, but it's hard to look at one and get the visceral excitement that the new Legacies inspire.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

The real question that you ask, though, is why people aren't choosing the Legacy over more bland choices like the Accord and Camry, and it's a tough one to answer. I think it's inertia, mostly, not that those two venerable sedans aren't nice and reliable, but it's hard to look at one and get the visceral excitement that the new Legacies inspire.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

No, if you were getting old, you'd want a Camry. Or better yet, you'd want to pay $20k more for a Camry with a Lexus badge and get an ES350.

How often do you see advertisements for the legacy? It is moronic if you ask me. They have an extremely awesome car that competes very well with my of the main brand cars. It is safe, fast and affordable.

Even though the dealership I go to has quite a few of them, the salesmen know nothing about them. They have no clue they are as fast or faster than the WRX. They have no clue that the insurance is so much cheaper on the legacy than the wrx.

I agree though with what has been said earlier, if I was in a buisness of making money I would stock and show what makes me money. Subaru of America should be the company dishing out the bucks for advertising, not the local dealers.

If Subaru would advertise more than just the b9, they might actually get more customers, rather than the repeats who keep buying forresters and outbacks.

As to why people aren't choosing it : If you don't know about it you can't choose it. My buddy went shopping for a new car and test drove the mazdaspeed 6. I told him about the subaru legacy gt. He had no clue they made a sports sedan other than the rally cars. He ended up with the mazda cause he doesn't like hoodscoops (lame) but at least it was in the equation. Most people buying a camry or accord don't even know about the legacy. In utah AWD helps a ton, but you still see 900000000 camrys and accords, and yes... 900000 outbacks :D

I think Subaru needs to do a touch more with the Spec.B to really make it a Legacy halo car that would bring needed public attention to this fine model line. The '06 did garner some nice press headlines, mainly C&Ds close second place comparo finish, but with ever active competition, Subaru needs to take it up yet another notch or two above even the improved '07 version.

My ideas:

A few more colors, inside and out.

Make the Sat Nav optional (always thought it was a strange standard feature for the Spec.B) and add the guage pack standard.

With the ~$1.5K saved above, add Brembos, slightly stiffer suspension and STi motor, perhaps detuned to 275 for a bit more low end.

HIDs

Subaru is soooo close to really having a market segment buster ala the STi for the Impreza market segment if they'd just bite the bullet and go the last few yards with it.

I think Subaru needs to do a touch more with the Spec.B to really make it a Legacy halo car that would bring needed public attention to this fine model line. The '06 did garner some nice press headlines, mainly C&Ds close second place comparo finish, but with ever active competition, Subaru needs to take it up yet another notch or two above even the improved '07 version.

My ideas:

A few more colors, inside and out.

Make the Sat Nav optional (always thought it was a strange standard feature for the Spec.B) and add the guage pack standard.

With the ~$1.5K saved above, add Brembos, slightly stiffer suspension and STi motor, perhaps detuned to 275 for a bit more low end.

HIDs

Subaru is soooo close to really having a market segment buster ala the STi for the Impreza market segment if they'd just bite the bullet and go the last few yards with it.

A legacy gt STI would go a long way in having the market segment like the STI Impreza has.:)

Subaru just isn't a well known brand in the US yet. It has a much higher profile in Canada however and that is not just because of AWD. Sube sold FWD in Canada for years where they always had a great reputation for reliability. SOA should provide some FWD choices for the US consumer. It would increase gas mileage and lower cost which would get more Subes on the road.

WHAT WHAT WHAT????

Subaru isn't well known in the US? The US is their largest market, hands DOWN! People do know what a Subaru Outback is. Any enthusiast that can even call themselves an enthusiast knows what a WRX is, and likely knows about the WRX STI.

Brand image is not the problem, other than some non-enthusiast people may still think it is a bit "granola and birkenstock" to offer true performance cars.

The Legacy is the longest running name in their catalog at the moment. Impreza came later, Outback was an offshoot of Legacy, forester was an offshoot of impreza and B9 and Baja (now defunct) came much later. SVX was short lived.

Legacy should have the highest name recognition of the Subaru models, but instead it has very near the lowest, probably the bottom, now that Baja is gone.

Subaru dropped that ball.

Subaru went to AWD standard several years ago, and I think that is a good move. dropping that now would be suicide, as more and more cars are going AWD for the traction benefit, even on dry roads. That would be like a fish trying to swim upstream, while the whole rest of the school tries to swim downstream.

I would not be considering a Legacy if it were only FWD, that is for darn sure. AWD is a selling point, and Subaru needs to kick it UP a notch, as more competitors come on-market, retreating from it is not the answer in the face of competition.

What competes with an AWD Legacy 2.5i in the standard sedan market? who else offers AWD practicality at that price (and nearly 30 highway mpg)? NOBODY. Who else offers GT AWD performance for the price? Mazdaspeed6, maybe. Volvo maybe, but neither have the chops that subaru does, and Audis are more expensive and less reliable.

If Subarus were FWD, even optional, they would lose out even bigger to the honda/toyota/GM/Ford/VW FWD crowd, for not having the selling point of AWD going for it.

Granted they may not sell records in the southwest hot climates... but there are a lot of wet or snowy places where AWD is a good thing to have. It can help performance, too. There is a reason the Porsche 911 Turbo, Skyline, and Bugatti Veyron all have AWD. Traction helps.

Subaru's BIG failing is advertizing. Nobody knows what the Legacy is. How many threads have started on this board with the premise of someone on the street asking what kind of car this is? or being completely amazed at it's capabilities?

Second, and smaller failing, is that subaru doesn't go the extra mile to make sure that customers get what they want to buy. Subaru, at least in the US (likely different overseas) doesn't make it very easy to find a Legacy that people want to buy.

Since I already know about the car, and have bypassed deficit number one, advertizing, deficit number two, lack of choice, is probably the only thing that might keep me out of a new Legacy GT, and probably in the driver's seat of a used one, instead. (which doesn't help Subaru much)

Subaru just isn't a well known brand in the US yet. It has a much higher profile in Canada however and that is not just because of AWD. Sube sold FWD in Canada for years where they always had a great reputation for reliability. SOA should provide some FWD choices for the US consumer. It would increase gas mileage and lower cost which would get more Subes on the road.

He's talking about Belmont, MA. Nearly 1/2 of all Subarus sold in the US are sold in New England. That ain't the problem.

I think it's schizophrenia. They took a brand and model that was an economy choice and tried ti move it upmarket. That doesn't happen in two years.

If they'd made an H6 Legacy (like pretty much everywhere else in the world) I would have purchased that in lieu of the OB.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Why would you not buy the Legacy if it wasn't AWD???:icon_conf Yes the Accord and Camry are nice cars and run well with a V6 in them but number one they both don't even compare in the "visual" affect category. You want a boring reliable car that EVERYBODY on the face of the planet has then go with the Accord or Camry. If you want something that you don't see very often, performs just as well (and really well with mods) and goes better in the snow, rain and mud, handles better, comes with more standard features and is safer then buy the Legacy.

Number two, I have a family of four and granted the accord and camry have a little more room but certainly not enough to out way all the other positive thing that the Legacy has.

SOA needs to put some serious marketing behind the car and they will sell a ton more. I was looking for an 03 Maxima SE 6 speed and couldn't find one near my house. The ones I did find were further away and $18000 to $20000. I got my LGT limited for just over $20000 out the door with my 99 Maxima trade in back in November.

I have and have had high horsepower cars, cars that handled, Etc. My LGT is the best and most fun car I have ever had and hopefully is will last a long time.

I didn't mean to offend any Camry or Accord owners here but saying the Legacy is too small or wouldn't be bought with just front wheel drive got me all fired up so sorry if I made anybody mad.

Everybody have a great day! :icon_bigg

The reason why Subaru is ONLY selling AWD cars in America is because they could not compete with the Accord and Camry back in the late 80's, early 90's. Instead of continuing to lose money in that market, they switched completely to selling AWD ONLY.

Do most people need AWD, no. That's why if you look at where Subaru's are popular, it tends to be areas where it snows. In the northern California especially Lake Tahoe area, you'll find lots of Subaru's. Go to So Cal, and you'll see very few. Subaru is also sort of the poor man's car. Take Lake Tahoe for instance, majority of people + ski bums will drive Subaru's. Anyone that can afford to own a cabin up there will be driving Audi's.

Dealers in the Northeast, including the one I work at are just about out of all the 06 Legacys, now the title of your thread should read, subaru DOES sell a lot of Legacys, because the 06 stock is almost compely washed up. 07s are just starting to hit dealers now, as of today 7/24/06, Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA has the last 06 5spd GT with black leather, and Baldhill Subaru in Warwick, RI has the only 07 5spd GT, its white with tan leather.

I for one would buy something else, if Legacy were FWD. It would not be replaced in my list by another FWD car. It would probably be a used Merc, BMW, or G35, or something AWD, or RWD.

The problem is, Legacy would be too close to all those other FWD bore-mobiles, without AWD. It would still look nice, but drive like a fish on a hook.

The Legacy having AWD was a big selling point for my dad. Had it been H6 and FWD, would I have bought it? Yes. Had it been only the 4 cyl and FWD? Maybe. I chose it over an Integra and a Prelude. I would never buy Accord or Camry just because there are too many. I like my Legacy because its unique and has more radical styling than today's Accord.

Btw, I love the new styling of the Camry, but are the interior still awful? Theyre always beige and plain. Even the top end ones. SNOOZE.

Scotty, you say the most people dont need AWD and youre right. Personally, I dont want to buy a car ever that doesnt have it. I love the ability it gives me. Penn State winters are messy and if we need to go somewhere my car is the best choice over 3 suitemate's who drive a Legend, a 240 SX, or a Ranger/ '83 6 series. Now I know Im not invincible, but I certainly dont have to worry about gettins stuck in 6 inches of snow. I love it!

And youre right. My parents have a place in SC and the closest Subaru dealer is 1.5 hours in Atlanta.

Dealers in the Northeast, including the one I work at are just about out of all the 06 Legacys, now the title of your thread should read, subaru DOES sell a lot of Legacys, because the 06 stock is almost compely washed up. 07s are just starting to hit dealers now, as of today 7/24/06, Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA has the last 06 5spd GT with black leather, and Baldhill Subaru in Warwick, RI has the only 07 5spd GT, its white with tan leather.

Now that's good news; but we all know that Subaru good sell more Legcacy's, and especially GT's, if they upped the Legacy's presence in showrooms, on the lots, and in advertising.

Given the strength of Subaru in New England (Is Subaru still the best selling auto nameplate in Vermont?), do the Subaru dealers get together and plan ad campaigns, or are they all dictated by Subaru of America? A regional Legacy GT campaign, backed by a good selection on the lots, could sell many cars.

I see far more Subarus over in the Buffalo area than I do this side of the border. There hasn't been a 2WD Subaru sold in Canada for a long time now though.

The prices point set here is about 20% higher than you have in the US, which puts it out of the range of many people. If only they would equalise the prices then they would sell many more.

Archived