LegacyGT.com

Coolant question

My overflow tank is empty. It has coolant in the rest if the system. In the manual doesn't state if I can added just water, 50/50, etc,... that's for the info.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

How many miles on your car? Any higher temps than normal? Could be a coolant leak, could be evaporation if you haven't used the car in a while.

Let us know if it continues to lose coolant.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have 8k on it. I got my '05 on Dec of 05. Who knows how long it sat there and this is the first time I checked it. I will add some distilled water and watch it for now. The cars sits alot because I take the train to work.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 8 months later...

Old tread bump (didn't want to start a new one)...

My overflow tank is completely empty too (now when the car is cold). It was just below the low mark after driving earlier. Checked the radiator cap and it's full.

I had my 30K service done ~2500 miles ago. I assume they flushed the system. 2 questions:

1) The bottom of the overflow tank seems dirty (some black particles and chalky stuff). Is this okay.

2) can I just add some distilled water to this overflow tank?

i dunno about the dirty stuff...most coolant overflows ive seen are pretty clean. dirt may get in from where the tube goes into the tank i would imagine

yes, you can just add some distilled water to the overflow tank

you guys are checking both radiator caps, right? The top one near the turbo, and the main radiator cap.... factory fill specifies filling from the one near the turbo.

Mike

I noticed my overflow was a little low after my 30K as well. But how would you fill from the radiator cap if it's the overflow that's low??

IF the coolant system is functioning properly and you are a little low, then you only add to the coolant recovery tank (plastic see through thing next to radiator). There should be no air in the coolant system so it's okay to add to just this tank. Don't let it go to empty because then you might be sucking in air as the coolant expands and contracts.

If you are refilling the system after emptying it, then you fill from the top tank next to the turbo and you have to properly bleed the system. I recommend following the instructions in the 2007 service manual.

dv/dt, I bet your service people didn't properly bleed the system and the extra coolant in the reservoir eventually went down because the air bubbles came out. I have had the car for 17,000 miles and have not had to add to the coolant at all.

I think my initial factory fill was low. Added some water a year ago, no change in the level since then.

Same thing...I thought I had problems, but the factory fill was just low. I changed out the coolant (using Subaru coolant and additive) and the level's been good since. No problems bleeding the system. Left the radiator cap off until all the air was out, then filled the top tank.

Old tread bump (didn't want to start a new one)...

1) The bottom of the overflow tank seems dirty (some black particles and chalky stuff). Is this okay.

My '05 had a bunch of crap in the bottom of the overflow when I did the 30k coolant replacement. I just removed the tank and washed it out in my laundry sink. Pretty much every car I've ever changed coolant on has had crap in the tank - my old Jeep Cherokee had an honest 1/2" of sludge in the bottom of its overflow when I did the water pump and radiator.

-Ryan

Ok, I'm confused.. what's the purpose of putting coolant into the overflow tank instead of directly into the radiator or vice versa...

Also, should the overflow tank be checked when the engine is hot or cold, and is this the only thing that needs to be looked at to check the level?

And why do we have two radiator caps?

Both get coolant. The idea is when the coolant gets hot, the radiator cap vents and the first thing which gets pushed into the overflow is any air that was in the radiator/heater core/hoses. When the engine cools, the coolant contracts (takes up less space) and coolant from the overflow (not air) gets sucked back into the radiator.

Just normal heating of your coolant will expand it.

There are two marks on your expansion tank. One is hot and one is cold. If you check your engine when it is cold, use the cold line.

If your coolant system is properly bled, you don't have to remove your radiator caps.

• 1 month later...
How many miles on your car? Any higher temps than normal? Could be a coolant leak, could be evaporation if you haven't used the car in a while.

Let us know if it continues to lose coolant.

SBT

itsme - bump for an update

Archived