LegacyGT.com

Another tire lost to NJ potholes

moriarty

So, have a bubble in my D/S front sidewall. This will be the fourth tire replacement of the year for the Sube! Lost 1 to a screw, and now 3 to potholes. Been running tire pressure on the high-side to try and prevent this, but it seems like NJDOT is on a mission to create new and interesting locations for potholes every day.

Still debating on just replacing the one (have done all four in the past) as the LGT has cost me all but $3k in tires this year, and I don't race it at all.

My wife is threatening to trade it in on an SUV with huge sidewalls!

Anybody else been having these problems? What are you guys with 18" wheels doing?

Any thoughts on tire choice? I currently have Toyo Proxes 4s, had P Zero Neros and RE92s before that.

Kind of depressing really.

Guest JessterCPA

I got nailed twice with potholes already. I went & bought used RE-92's here on the board just so I have a few spares in the basement in case it happens again. The second time it screwed the rim up & $120 later I am OK.

Hey, that's NJ Tax dollars working for you!

Jesse

Yeah, I have been running stock size (215/45-17) with all of the tires, and not over-inflating, just running to full-load pressure. I replaced a wheel on the first one (an RE-92 all but blew-out) which is when I moved to P Zeros. got a screw in a P Zero when I had about 12k miles on them, so got another set of P Zeros. Bubbled a P Zero, and went to the Toyo Proxes. Now one of the Proxes (with about 7.5k miles on them) has a bubble in the sidewall.

Technically, if it were up to Subaru, I should replace all four tires (I am already down at least 3/32s of tread on all tires). It is hard to come to terms with blowing so much money on tires in one year.

I have been cautious too, but I don't expect I can miss all of the pothole in NJ - there are just too many!

Extra insulting since I just got my 3rd quater tax statement...

I suspect it can but it requires much more energy than normal tire to do so.

Just a guess.

Krzys

PS What is cheaper: buying new tires that bubble or replacing control arms and suspension bits because you use RFT?

I think I am going to avoid the RFT route, but I definitely would consider running a 225/45-17. Anybody gone that route? All of the tires I've previously had are available in that size, but they are all also a bit pricey (well, at least when you are replacing them as often as I am). I may go down a notch an look at something a little less expensive.

Guest JessterCPA
Sorry to sound noobish, but how do you tell if you have a bubble on your tire? Is it like super obvious big bubble?

Pretty much.

Sorry to sound noobish, but how do you tell if you have a bubble on your tire? Is it like super obvious big bubble?

Not incredibly obvious, but it is definately a lump on the side of the tire that looks out of place. You'll know it if you see it.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I've been running with bubbles on my proxes 4's for a couple months already, but does anybody know how bad it actually is to drive with bubbles?

There's nothing wrong with it - until your tire blows out :icon_bigg

Seriously - you might be fine for a few more months, but it also might blow out tomorrow if you hit another pothole. You never know, so I went the safe route and got it replaced immediatley.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I drove about 350 miles on mine with the bubble, but I knew that a blowout was always going to be a possibility. The only reason I did it was because I had to wait for my new tires to come in.

Last night I finally put the new wheels and tires on. I settled on some 225/45-17 Hankook RS-2s.

The first 50 miles have been good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived