LegacyGT.com

USDM Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Swift Springs

legwag

Boulderguy your my Hero. Great write up! It answers about 3/4 of my questions. These are the last 1/4, Which pinks did you use, Spec or GT, and what type of drop did you get with the pinks. Thanks

Oh God, I don't know, I can't keep up with them all these days. They came from GTWorx.com. Drop was consistant with others' results here. I used to live up the hill from you - Idyllwild. Y'all on fire?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the swift springs and tokico shocks on the car today, man what a difference. I have the Cobb sway bars and there is minimal clunk, but the ride and feel is so much better than stock. The ride is stiffer but not harsh and I have not played with the settings at all. It feels more like my old A4 with the Sport suspension, but less harsh. The drop is not too noticeable but I really like it. Honestly, this is a very worthwhile improvement. For those who are nervous about the install on a wagon the rear mods are completely invisible with the rear mat down, see pics. I hope the pics come through, I am a noob with pics. By the way the first pic is pre-install.

Only problem is that now that I have temporarily finished my power and suspension mods is that I have to upgrade my brakes too. BTW the shop owner that did the install let me borrow his Lancer Evo MR, that car is pretty sick by the way. But he also told me when I picked up my car how much faster my car was! :icon_mrgr Yeah, and now it handles really nice too - nice and flat with little dive and squat and minimal roll.

IMG_0759.jpg.19b4c0ebca83183760c923ade296140e.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg.ba0aa428744d38539d348b72ca3ae4fa.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg.141db725e87dcc024e6e4ea50fbbd7a4.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg.c141220628ac2f545128f945a09dcf66.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg.3cc2100cb915f7d58ae7537c0c92ae98.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg.cbac099e1ebce7a4953523d3f7c73c54.jpg

Glad to hear you like the shocks. Are the interior pics the installer's cutout of the wheel wheel plastic to adjust the rear shock damping from the interior? If so, did he have to cut sheetmetal at the top of the shock to get access to the adjustment knob on the top of the shock or was there already an access hole in the sheetmetal? Thanks.

Edit: I have swifts springs already and I am eagerly awaiting these strut/shocks as soon as my wife gives me money! As for brakes, I recommend going to STi Brembos on all 4 corners like I just did! Weeeee, spend LOTS of money! It's fun!

Yes, those pics are the cutouts the installer had to do to the rear. He did not have to cut any sheet metal or plastic, but he had to take the trunk liner out to cut it. He said that he had to adhere foam padding to the cutouts before putting back in place since he felt they would fall into the cut holes if he had not put some backing on them. I have not tried to access the rear shocks yet to do any adjustments yet, but it looks like I should have enough room.

Hmmm, good question. I did not smell any exhaust driving home tonight, but my drive is only about 10 minutes. I will check it out more tomorrow. The one thing I can say is that the installer I used is very good - I think if there was an issue, he would have called me first to mention it, but I am making a big assumption. BTW, he is across from Speedy Donuts down in Shippan in Stamford, ring a bell?

Oh God, I don't know, I can't keep up with them all these days. They came from GTWorx.com. Drop was consistant with others' results here. I used to live up the hill from you - Idyllwild. Y'all on fire?

Nah, :lol: it was the next mountain over the back side of Big Bear. We are spooling up for the 24hrs of Adrenaline at Hurky Creek though!!! You ever ride in it?:icon_bigg

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I haven't, but a friend will be there competing in solo expert, he's chasing points like a madman this season. Great dirt y'all have, super tacky stuff.

Hey Legwag - I took a couple allen wrenches & cut them down to fit permanantly in the rear strut adjustment slot, it's been a real timesaver when tweaking the settings.

I did similiar cutouts on the interior rear panels, but rather than a "mouse-door" I just made two vertical cuts so I can push the panel in from the bottom to access strut tops. They fall right back in place.

I've never had any exhaust issues. I'd be worried if my only exhaust defense was a freakin' interior panel tho!

I see. Frankly, no, I don't spend that much time thinking about it. I don't even get that tech on my MTB fork come to think of it!

My impression of the struts is that any adjustment affects both compression & rebound damping equally. That may not be the case, but it seems that way in practice.

So a stiffer spring like the Swifts needed more damping, hence the lower setting. The pinks were the softest of the group & required the least damping. On any of these springs, going with a higher number (less damp) than posted above yields a bouncy ride but is more supple over small road imperfections.

As to big bumps vs small bumps, I haven't thought much about it. The bigger hits get the shocks moving regardless of stiffness setting & more dependant on the spring qualities, the smaller tits tend to be tied more closely to the strut stiffness setting.

Hits. I meant hits. Typo.

I will say - and this is more about preference than an objective spring rating - that the Swifts were the best handling spring of the group but also the most difficult to live with as a daily driver. The Pinks & Ions are very similiar in terms of ride comfort & driveability but the Ions have far better road feel & cornering confidence. Don't want to go too far with that since this ain't a spring thread.

Thanks. This is great info.

Hmmm, good question. I did not smell any exhaust driving home tonight, but my drive is only about 10 minutes. I will check it out more tomorrow. The one thing I can say is that the installer I used is very good - I think if there was an issue, he would have called me first to mention it, but I am making a big assumption. BTW, he is across from Speedy Donuts down in Shippan in Stamford, ring a bell?

I know the area pretty well. I got my first stitches after being run over by a sled at Cummings Park, which I believe is a spitball away from Shippan. Shippan Point is a beautiful area of Stamford. Lots of beautiful homes and rich folks!

I put the swift springs and tokico shocks on the car today, man what a difference. I have the Cobb sway bars and there is minimal clunk, but the ride and feel is so much better than stock. The ride is stiffer but not harsh and I have not played with the settings at all. It feels more like my old A4 with the Sport suspension, but less harsh. The drop is not too noticeable but I really like it. Honestly, this is a very worthwhile improvement. For those who are nervous about the install on a wagon the rear mods are completely invisible with the rear mat down, see pics. I hope the pics come through, I am a noob with pics. By the way the first pic is pre-install.

Only problem is that now that I have temporarily finished my power and suspension mods is that I have to upgrade my brakes too. BTW the shop owner that did the install let me borrow his Lancer Evo MR, that car is pretty sick by the way. But he also told me when I picked up my car how much faster my car was! :icon_mrgr Yeah, and now it handles really nice too - nice and flat with little dive and squat and minimal roll.

Excellent info Legwag. Do you ever get up to MA? I'd love to go for a short ride in your car. I have an 05 LGT Wagon and I want to do the same thing.

I've never had any exhaust issues. I'd be worried if my only exhaust defense was a freakin' interior panel tho!

You won't have exaust issues. You could rip out the interior trim panels of the car and have bare metal and not have exaust issues. There are essentially holes that the top of the rear shocks bolt up to and that closes off the interior.

Archived