LegacyGT.com

Spring swap walkthrough - Tein H-Tech's

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride is good. Feels stock on the highway and smooth roads. Railroad tracks and potholes aren't very fun... however... so you'll be watching for those closer.

The body roll and pitch are reduced quite a bit ... and the car corners much more flat. It is a blast!

did u guys torque it down to the factory specs? my torque wrench only goes to 79 lb tq and the stock torque specs for the lower strut bolt were 121
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

an impact wrench, is that an air tool or electric tool? I can only do 78 lb of torque by hand with my torque wrench im a little afraid its not enough.. and i cant get the fronts off :(

Air tool is what I used... but they also make electric ones.

Just use some 19mm wrenches/socket wrenches with a cheater. Torque... in ft-lbs... is just that....

Take the force in lbs x the length of the fulcrum = torque......

100 lbs x 2' cheater = 200 ft-lbs.... ;)

rented myself a impact wrench, rounded the front lower strut bolt, arg! now i need to take it a shop and get raped on just breaking loose bolts.

I put it back on with an impact wrench.... that is tight enough.

+1. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

an impact wrench, is that an air tool or electric tool? I can only do 78 lb of torque by hand with my torque wrench im a little afraid its not enough.. and i cant get the fronts off :(

I have a DeWalt electric that worked fine. Took a minute or two to break the rear lower bolt but it worked.

rented myself a impact wrench, rounded the front lower strut bolt, arg! now i need to take it a shop and get raped on just breaking loose bolts.

Just use a Dremel to cut a couple new flat sides and use a smaller open ended wrench.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Anybody have torque specs for all the bolts?

"As tight as you can get them". Seriously... that is what I do on major suspension bolts. I use open end wrenches, 1/2" drive ratchets, and an air impact gun.

If you want actual values.. you might want to check the members "vacation pics" on here. ;)

Good find! Thanks for posting.

From that thread....

FRONTS

Upper mount nuts - 14.5 ft-lb

Strut rod nut - 41 ft-lb

ABS/Brake bolts - 24.5 ft-lb

Lower strut bolts - 112 ft-lb

REARS

1) Upper shock bolts - 22.4 ft-lb

2) Strut rod bolt - 41 ft-lb

3) Lower shock bolt - 118 ft-lb (ugh!)

• 2 weeks later...

After spending Sat and Sun afternoons trying to get the front lower strut bolts out, I finally gave up and did the back ones this afternoon.

I must admit it was way easier than I expected, and had them both done in under two hours (the length of my son's afternoon nap).

I'm going to call in at the dealers tomorrow and get them to loosen and retorque the fronts for me, then I'll tackle them next weekend.

The car looks kind of odd at the moment, lower in the back, but I'll only be driving to work and back so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to Steve for this write up, and the 1-800 help line :icon_wink

It took me about 2hrs to do the front and rear. I found air tools or a good breaker bar helps alot.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com