LegacyGT.com

'07 Spec. B price released in nasioc.

eqt2010

Inventory management (re: cost)??? So maybe they are calculating that there will be demand for around 1000 spec B's. So just start off making 100 of each color (total 500) and see what color is selling the best after a few months and make more of those colors. My gosh, if Subaru is so strapped they can't afford to offer a car in more than 1 color they might as well hang it up. Sure, I'd rather have a bunch of performance goodies from the factory at the expense of less choice on non-performance features but 1 color is a little ridiculous.

AMEN BROTHER! +10trillion.

how many Spec B sales are they LOSING (besides MINE) because the competition comes in MANY more colors. Even the five colors the GT gets is a meager selection. One color is abysmal for a car that is now supposedly 'regular production', even if it is in very small numbers. and there is no real excuse. Same with the rest of the Legacy's lack of interior color choice.

What if they would offer it in some other colors, even just a few, and the thing sold well... How much money are they not making by not trying?

These decision makers at SOA are not good at risk management. they just say no to all risk, and shut down any choices and expenses. A little risk paired with a little more press/advertizing could make them some real money.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your frustrations, but I'm simply trying to explain channel management. Yes it does matter, it does effect cost. I work in a large business that has these exact issues. You can't just make 100 of each and poof they are done like you have them all sitting in one magical dealership. They are going to get shipped to different dealerships, different regions, and some dealerships may not even get one. They'll have to ship and move around cars based on orders. What if you wanted white up north, but white never sells up north so no dealer ordered it? Then the closest is 300 miles away... Not to mention the time given up to manage the product line in the channel now where you didn't have to before. More overhead.

Subaru will make more money on the spec.B with less color choices. They simply do not make/sell enough of these cars (yet) to warrant the additional risk exposure. It's pretty clear that the risk Subaru is taking is making the spec.B at all.

Good question. Would that keep you from buying it if it did not?

um, no. I'd like to think that since it is the premier Legacy (we get) that it'd have it already...but if not, then I'll throw the dice for it....or try to swindle it into the car at purchase time.

Either way, I'll be rowing shorter throws. :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

They simply do not make/sell enough of these cars (yet) to warrant the additional risk exposure. It's pretty clear that the risk Subaru is taking is making the spec.B at all.

+1,,stop whining about it and be glad we got it at all.

BTW,Performance wise Subaru has come along way in a short time for a conservative company.Less then 10 years ago we got the Impreza RS,4 years latter the WRX,2 years latter the STi,2 more years spec B.

+1,,stop whining about it and be glad we got it at all.

BTW,Performance wise Subaru has come along way in a short time for a conservative company.Less then 10 years ago we got the Impreza RS,4 years latter the WRX,2 years latter the STi,2 more years spec B.

see, now that kind of thing raises my ire. If we all thought that way, then we'd all be limited to buying the current model year black model T. Because we should just stop whining and suck it up.

BTW, my complaint is no longer with performance, although more is always better, IMHO.

Customer satisfaction and responsiveness is my quarrel with SOA. I am not satisfied with the products they offer, and it is affecting my willingness to buy their product. A good company should not be indifferent to that, and they should want my business.

I am having a hard enough time considering giving up my interior color choice for my paint color preference if I should buy a new Subaru at all. Why should that dilemma exist? so that subaru can save a buck? They won't save the money they never see from lost sales. that is a lovely thing called the BOTTOM LINE. Screw your customer base at your peril, you don't make money on product you don't sell.

saying "Suck it up", which IS the response I got from SOA ont this topic IS NOT CAPITALISM. If a product isn't what I don't want, I should not have to suck it up.

If what I want is unattainable due to lack of realistic expectations, it is my tough luck, I know that. I don't believe this is the case with SOA here.

If what I want is perfectly reasonable, but some bean counter decided the extra $.98 per unit it would cost (ficticious number, but c'mon...) then it is the bean counter's fault that the bean counter's company lost my sale completely, or lost the additional profit from me buying a lesser model, and being frustrated by it.

Supply channels and expenses mean jack if the demand isn't there. How many 06 Spec Bs remain unsold out of 500, after almost a year, and recent steep discounts? Most mainstream car models (and what is more mainstream of a car than a 4-door sedan?) sell more than 500 in two weeks.

Ford is in financial trouble, and they still sold more Mustangs alone this last year than subaru sold cars, TOTAL. Let alone the Taurus which still outsells the other ford cars, just to fleets! Or the F150 which until recently was the largest sales volume model in the entire US, bar none.

Should Subaru really have trouble moving 500 units of a specific configuration in a whole YEAR? Maybe it isn't the lack of people spending money... but the people wanting to spend money on their terms, not strictly SOA's way or the highway, and the fact that most people wouldn't know a Legacy if their neighbor bought one.

It seems unfortunate to me that Subaru is satisfied making it's usual $1 profit from it's 1% marketshare (really), when if they would spend $.25 more, they'd make $1.50 profit instead, (fake dollar numbers for illustration sake) and the customer loses out because of that decision. The customer is why SUBARU is in business. They aren't in business to give the bean counter a bean to count.

Ford build previous Bullitt mustangs in three colors (NOT just dark green...), and the GT500 will be many colors. SN95 Mach 1s were several colors. new Charger "Daytonas" are at least two colors, SRT8s are three colors, CTS-V is several colors, as well. Volvo R cars have a choice, Mazdaspeed 6 has several colors, including a very nice red. Isn't even the WRX STI limited edition available in gray and white, or something? not particularly inspiring colors, but at least more than one... but they come from Japan, not SOA's backyard in Indiana.

Most other "special models" on the market that are limited in quantities and not necessarily as widely distributed as their regular variants are still offered with a small choice. Despite their 'distribution channels.'

Let alone if you compare the Spec B to other 30-40k sporty sedans, like Volvo, A4 Quattro, IS, and Infiniti G35. Those leave the Spec B behind the dust in terms of color choice and option availability. Legacy just has a bit of a performance edge, and better AWD than most.

As was said: if subaru doesn't feel up to doing some real business, what is keeping them open?

Why offer the spec B as a halo effort, put some money into the transmission, release it to the press early for some decent media exposure, and other things, and then immediately handlicap it's appeal with only one gray paint color? WHY? it isn't as if they are limiting it to WRB or Blitzen Red, both trademark colors... It isn't strictly limited production, like the 06 Spec B...

They may make money. But I still think not as much as if they'd pony up and quit pulling this half-a$$ed last-minute crap, and try to sell some cars.

For all the supply channel work, I can't even find more than a single new manual trans Legacy GT sedan within 200 miles. Yeah. All this cost cutting is doing wonders.

IWANNA,,,,You have waaaaay to much time on your hands :icon_roll .Just because Subaru didn't cater to your whims your makin a big deal out of it.Do you also peruse other automotive boards like you do this one in your quest fr the perfect car??.If so:lol:

Supply channels and expenses mean jack if the demand isn't there. How many 06 Spec Bs remain unsold out of 500, after almost a year, and recent steep discounts? Most mainstream car models (and what is more mainstream of a car than a 4-door sedan?) sell more than 500 in two weeks.

Spec B's have all been sold for awhile now.

seriously... $34k for that? what a joke. Still waiting till my '08 comes. :evil:

The STI Limited will probably cost even more even though its just not as nice of place to be inside as the legacy is. $34k seems completely reasonable to me, considering it has the 6-speed now and everything else (the 06 never seemed worth the price to me because of the drivetrain). Its comprable to the STI pricing, which makes sense.

Spec B's have all been sold for awhile now.

Not really. I did an online search recently and know of at least 3 places in the NYC area that still has a Spec B in stock. One place I went to basically told me I can have it for ~$31k, too bad I can't stand the interior.

Not really. I did an online search recently and know of at least 3 places in the NYC area that still has a Spec B in stock. One place I went to basically told me I can have it for ~$31k, too bad I can't stand the interior.

Yep. There are still 2005 cars that have not sold :eek: That is not good.

I understand your frustrations, but I'm simply trying to explain channel management. Yes it does matter, it does effect cost. I work in a large business that has these exact issues. You can't just make 100 of each and poof they are done like you have them all sitting in one magical dealership. They are going to get shipped to different dealerships, different regions, and some dealerships may not even get one. They'll have to ship and move around cars based on orders. What if you wanted white up north, but white never sells up north so no dealer ordered it? Then the closest is 300 miles away... Not to mention the time given up to manage the product line in the channel now where you didn't have to before. More overhead.

Subaru will make more money on the spec.B with less color choices. They simply do not make/sell enough of these cars (yet) to warrant the additional risk exposure. It's pretty clear that the risk Subaru is taking is making the spec.B at all.

Subaru's low sales volume is no excuse to not allow people to order the car they want. There are plenty of people who would be willing to wait to get the car THEY WANT. If it was an option, I would have ordered a 2006 Legacy GT Spec B in Garnet Red Pearl - but it wasn't, so I got a regular GT and have been modifying it to suit my tastes. Other people aren't so dedicated to Subaru and would switch as soon as they realize that Subaru doesn't give them the choices they want. Want a sunroof? You're getting leather too. Want VDC? Only if you also want an automatic and a navigation system! The 2007 Legacy is available in Blue and Black-Gray-White, for heavens' sake! Subaru has other paint colors - they should LET PEOPLE ORDER THEM.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

My beef with subaru is their lackluster marketing campaign. All they advertise is safety, not performance, luxury (LGT Ltd or spec.B), or anything else exciting. They're attracting housewives, not young execs with lots of money.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Saw this on car101.com..."Upgrade to the limited production spec.B sedan Only 3000 make." :icon_conf

I thought they are not limited anymore:iam:

This has got to be one of the most illusive and distorted pieces of information I've seen about a cars release in a long time.

Here are some sources I've heard from.

not limited:

Jamie Thomas (yes, Subie Gal)

dealership by me

various press releases from Subaru

limited:

other dealerships

SoA cust serv rep

your link

this is starting to anger me. Someone is complaining that Subaru doesn't market to their fullest extent, that they are only going after safety and not pushing their performance side of the lineup. Screw that! Lets see them get their dealerships, customer service reps, press releases and marketing materials all SYNC'D UP and straightened out on matters of whether a car is limited production or not....let alone specific features for each model...thats what the window sticker is for. :icon_mad:

Granted, if there were only 3,000 being produced, with an estimate of around 600 dealerships, that'd put 5 at every dealership. And we all know that this won't be the case with sales quota allocations and all; some will get less than 5 and others will obviously get more than 5.

That aside, a straightup answer on whether a car is in limited production or not is hardly too much to ask.

....although, I suppose getting a car in more color options is hardly difficult to achieve either....but, lets get onto my point first. :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Any info on gear ratios in the new 6MT?

As I posted on nastysock NASIOC - now takin orders

Transmission ratios for Legacy vs 6-sp STI.

5-sp. man| 5EAT| spec.B| 6-sp STI

1 3.166 | 3.540 | 3.636 | 3.636

2 1.882 | 2.264 | 2.235 | 2.375

3 1.296 | 1.471 | 1.521 | 1.761

4 0.972 | 1.000 | 1.137 | 1.346

5 0.738 | 0.834 | 0.891 | .971

6 0.000 | 0.000 | 0.707 | .756

R 3.333 | 2.370 | 3.545 | 3.545

Final

ratio 4.11|3.083 | 3.90 | 3.90

Confirmed today as I read my complementary Subaru Canada Quarterly Magazine.

Canada will get the 2007 Spec B this Fall. Pricing undertermined as of yet, but I have a farmer's bet with myself that list will be stupid high, something like $48K.

Also in other unrelated News; Canada will be getting electricity in homes starting in 2010. I can't wait. No more Husky-powered treadmills generating power to light up our igloos.

Oh, and I also saw some info on the 2008 models... They will debut at NAIS in January and will go on sale in July. (Imprezas wont be unveiled for the US until the NYC auto show, and wont go on sale until August!!! 2008 STI's wont even be sold until 2008)

IWANNA,,,,You have waaaaay to much time on your hands :icon_roll .Just because Subaru didn't cater to your whims your makin a big deal out of it.Do you also peruse other automotive boards like you do this one in your quest fr the perfect car??.If so:lol:

Maybe... I might have too much time. Oh, well. :icon_neut

It ISN'T that they didn't cater to me. THEY DON'T CATER TO ANYONE! It is subaru's way or the highway on something as simple as paint or interior color. They have the paint in the assembly line, and they have the interior parts in both taupe and black.

It isn't as if I am asking for my initials monogram embroidered on the seats...

Just a freaking paint or interior color choice! It is like SOA is the quarterback kneeling on the football half a yard before the goal line, with no defenders around, rather than just getting the touch down, and winning the game.

I have exhaustively looked at MANY other cars. None others have the fundamentals and value that the Legacy GT does.

The basics are there in SPADES, with a detail, but a significant detail, out of place.

It is like Bob Ross. A beautiful landscape painting... everything is great... then, he paints a big dead tree in the middle of the thing, and ruins it.

If the Legacy weren't such a GREAT car, and Subaru a company with such potential, I would be writing them off my list. I only get frustrated because of the "So Near, yet So FAR" effect.

Archived