LegacyGT.com

Feel like saving $70 bucks on your OEM sub purchase?

direavenger

I installed a wrx sub too and get the pop. I dont know if its occasional or not, but I have a feeling the louder you left the radio on when you turned off the car, the louder the pop is when you turn the car back on.

interesting.

any confirmations on that?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have only gotten a noticible "pop" on one occasion. I was filling up at a gas station and left the radio on. I then turned the car back on and that's when it happened. Only once, and never when simply turning the car on.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I have the Subie sub in both my 05lgt and my wife's 04wrx wagon. I know its not apples to apples with the different head units, but the Legacy sub sounds much better. (environment, signal characteristics, etc differ to some degree)
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

I bought my LGT specific sub for $160 (from a buddy that works at a Subie dealer). Decided not to cheap out on $50...

Not saying that WRX sub is bad idea, especially a used one from e-bay for like ~$50.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Would this Forrester sub work in my '05 LGT?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=887

the 03-05 and 06-07 are the same price = $101.

Thanks,

Brian

the picture of the subwoofer that goes under the seat has been the same since the 01 models when I was looking to get one and Subaru parts are almost always interchangeable. (This website actually showed a different pictures of the older model subwoofer which I never saw before.)

Try finding pics for sale on Ebay and compare the pictures as a reference.

All of the factory under-seat powered subwoofers that I've seen do look the same. But there are at least two different power ratings, possibly more.

For example, H6300FS400 is supposedly 80 Watts while H6300SS200 is supposedly 120 Watts.

The subwoofers will have either of two different styles of T-harnesses (depending on the factory radio in the car the sub was intended for). The "old-style" harness will work with any 95-up Subaru radio.

See the subwoofer posts in my thread on NASIOC:

The subwoofers will have either of two different styles of T-harnesses (depending on the factory radio in the car the sub was intended for). The "old-style" harness will work with any 95-up Subaru radio.
All of Subaru's accessory subwoofers use the same style harness.

;985100']All of Subaru's accessory subwoofers use the same style harness.
Were you not aware that late-model factory subwoofers have this "new-style" harness...

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/4219/2005subharnessmr0.th.jpg

The "old-style" sub harness looks like this...

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1788/subwoofharnesspx0.th.jpg

Or are you claiming that Subaru sells factory subwoofers (for after-delivery installation -- "accessory subwoofers") only with the old-style harness? I don't think that's accurate. Here's a post by a guy who says he bought subs with both styles of harnesses. A couple of posts further down he shows the page from the installation instructions that refer to the new 8-pin plug.

I did some checking and I was wrong and I apologize for the misinformation. There are, indeed, SOA accessory subwoofer kits which will not work with any current stock Legacy radios. They were designed to utilize a pre-amp output available on certain 2005-7 Impreza and 2006-7 Forester 2DIN radios with 6-disk CD changer. I've not yet been able to locate the Panasonic service manual for that radio. Its Subaru PN is 86201FE210 and the Panasonic model number is CQ-EF6360A.

So here are the SOA PNs to avoid if you want to buy a subwoofer compatible with your Legacy/Outback.

H6300SS600 - 2005 Impreza (note that although this is the order number and the box specifies this number, when you look at the label on the actual subwoofer, it says Panasonic model EAB1693C and SOA PN H6300SS610).

H6300SS610 - 2005 Impreza (see note above).

H6300SS601 - 2006, 2007 Impreza.

H630SSA300 - 2006, 2007 Forester.

These subwoofers might all be identical except for the mounting bracket.

• 1 month later...
All these part numbers are making me dizzy. Let me throw another one: Will a an '03-'05 Forester (PN H630SSA200) subwoofer fit our Legacy? They seem to sell them for a lot less than the Legacy, WRX, and Outback subwoofers. Please, someone confirm this. I don't care about the bracket, I'd just like to know about the harness.

Since '03 Forester radios did not have the 8-pin square subwoofer jack, then the subwoofer T-harness can't include that plug. Therefore it will work with any Subaru radio (which uses the "modern" 14-pin power/speaker connection).

Even if you were to get a sub that has the "new style" harness (with the 8-pin square plug), it is very easy to convert it into an "old style" harness.

The important thing, if you buy it used, is to make sure it includes the complete harness.

[Added:] I suspect there are just a few different sub models, but many more different part numbers for the kits, because the subs are packaged with slightly different brackets, installation instructions, and in some cases harnesses for the different models/years for which the kit is intended.

so any 03-07 model [will] fit on legacy radio, but some need minor harness convert?

Right.

what about 2006 STi subwoofer? thx
I don't think that any of the Impreza radios have the 8-pin subwoofer jack, so a subwoofer harness for those cars should have just the 14-pin plugs -- should be plug-n-play with any 95-up Subaru radio.

If you're not sure, ask the seller to describe the harness. It should look like either of the two pictures I posted a few posts above.

Archived