LegacyGT.com

What would you change given the currently released specs?

[quote name='PPower']You could wait a few years and get a used GT to make it easier to move up to an STi if/when it comes out.[/quote] That's the decision I'm facing. Get the new GT and mod it to what I want. Or keep my old GT and while I wait do more mods and some body work (for some rust -- it came down from up north with all the salt I believe). Or get the new GT keeping it stock and keep the old GT for my teen daughter, modding it for autocross (detuning it after every event). Decisions, decisions. :( -- Bill

Decisions, decisions is right. I say just take what we have though. It's not like when the STi comes out we'll be unhappy. Sure it will be faster and have some cooler parts, but if you think of it that way, then that takes out the fun from the "regular" GT.
-ben

There will always be something bigger better faster. I'm loving the regular ol' GT, thanks. Buying a car is like buying a computer. At some point, you have to just take the plunge. If you wait for the next best thing, you wait forever, paralyzed by "What if" itis. For me, it's the same as buying a WRX. Sure, there's the STi. No envy there, however. The WRX is plenty fast for me, and frankly, if the Legacy weren't such a nicer car, I would keep my silver wagon. But us grown folks want to be coddled. Heated seats...mmmm. :D Kevin

[quote name='ha-evolution']Need some Altezza taillights.[/quote] [img]http://www.unclebens.com/images/products/tnl_1843_700z_instant.jpg[/img] HID prolly not gonna do whole lot till warrenty expires

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

[quote name='gtguy']But us grown folks want to be coddled. Heated seats...mmmm. :D[/quote] I have to figure out how to have a car which is well suited for autocross (esp. after attending the Evolution Phase I school) as well as a daily driver in style, and I also need a car for my teenage daughter who will be dual enrolled in her senior year of high school plus college next year. I have 3 conflicting requirements and (with a bit more work) room for 2 cars. So either my car is a daily driver which I autocross on the weekends, or my daughter's car is tuned for weekend competition and detuned for her daily commutes. If the stock (heated?) seats won't support me adequately (for performance driving) then the stock Legacy won't work as a dual-purpose vehicle. So I can modify it, tossing the stock (heated? leather?) seats, or leave it alone and use the other car (my current GT) for competition (with additional mods). I guess I'm not likely to buy into leather and heated seats if they'd only be tossed later. I have no good solutions; just lots of issues I have to work through. :| -- Bill

It is a predicament indeed. I'd say go base GT, see if the seats fit, if not, get a nice set of Sparcos or Recaros, and do modifications to your desired level (SP?). That way you wouldn't have to worry about redoing your daughters car. The new GT can serve well as dual purpose provided it's modified right. :) I want to be able to AutoX my street car, but RallyX/Ice/Club Rally a second car. :) Reason I wouldn't do everything on the secondary car is for suspension mainly. Set a certain way, more towards gravel.

That is essentially how I am leaning, Seth. The sunroof in my current GT is nice sometimes, but the weather in Florida is often too hot or rainy to make it useful. And if it adds the rumored 200 lbs (can it really be [b]that[/b] much?) it just isn't worth it. My wife's suggestion (never something to ignore!) is to buy a cheap beater for my daughter, pay off my wife's SUV instead of buying a new car for me, and go mod crazy on my '97 GT. As she points out, I'm not unhappy with the GT (far from it!) and it would do me well for at least another year as both a daily driver and autocross car. That would carry me over until the Big Boy was released, allowing me to make an informed decision (new GT, GT Limited, or Big Boy) at that time. This suggestion certainly has merit. Getting rid of the SUV payments would sure be nice! Just think of all the GT mods I could buy: short shifter, dedicated competition wheels and tires (currently I'm driving on Falken Azenis all the time which is certainly enjoyable, but they do wear quickly), struts and springs, new front seats (those stock seats have NO bolstering!), maybe even some body work for that rust. Hmmm ...

Archived