LegacyGT.com

Manual vs. Auto

TedNacious

When I went to the dealer (for a test drive) the first time they only had a 5EAT so I ended test driving that(the 2nd time I test drove the MT). Both transmittions are great but you have to decided which is best for you. I don't think you would be disappointed with the performance of the 5EAT. Don't get caught up in the numbers. Both are fast!! Oh, by the way, I got the MT LGT.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 5MT is faster, but not by that much. The performance is close enough that I wouldn't choose based purely on 0-60 times. If you don't enjoy driving with a clutch, it will bug you every day you own the car. Alternately, if you love driving with a clutch, the lack of control and non-ideal shift decisions of the automatic will bug you just as bad.

You really should drive them both and decide which you like better. This isn't a decision that you can safely make by reading the opinions of others.

:whore:

In all seriousness though... +1

actually, your input has been quite enough. I've never driven a stick, so ignorance is bliss as far as I'm concerned. If the automatic is at least comparatively powerful, I'll be fine. There is some heavy traffic in my area, and I know I'd get pretty frustrated shifting in traffic. I think I'll be able to have fun with the override on the automatic when I feel like it, and I like having the extra hand free at times. Automatic it is. Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate everything. This forum is great and I can't wait to become a justifiable part of it!

Geez i'm glad I read this thread. I was really set on getting a MT (my first) .. but I do have some doubt because I am a pretty lazy person when it comes to driving. I also live in NYC so I don't drive often without traffic... it would piss me off eventually. I'm not buying the car to track race it... I just want a drive I can enjoy at all times.. and well.. having a good amount of power and speed is a plus.

My friend was teaching me how to drive a MT a few weeks ago. It was on a 04' Jetta.. the clutch is very easy and was doing smooth shifting the whole time. But i'll tell you something... every time I got to a traffic light or stop sign i got pretty annoyed.

Also everyone is saying that there is turbo lag on the 5EAT. How bad is it? When does it kick in compared to the MT? Thanks.

I love my 5EAT .. it's pretty smart compared to other auto's I've driven over the years. In sport mode it tends to hold gears instead of upshifting when you let off the gas slightly to say, go around a corner far quicker than you should be :p Of course there is lag (stock, if you punch it from a roll, it'll take a couple seconds before it throws you back in the seat), but you can always eliminate that by anticipating when you want the power via manual shifting. Gas mileage is nonexistant when you keep it above 3k rpm all the time though :lol:

AT is for wimps.

;)

:hide:

LOL I'm proud to be a wimp then. I live in the same general area as you and most of my commute is spent either crawling along a highway or in traffic that's going 43mph in a 50 and no room to pass anyone. The autostick has been fun to play with, but there have been quite a few times I was glad I could put it in full auto, pop a CD in, and kick back while I lurch along with traffic.

It's usually only late at night or on weekends if traffic is light and I'm looking to tear it up a bit that I think "Maybe a manual would have been more fun..." But that's also a vast minority of my total drive time.

AT works fine for me, and I do use the manual mode fairly often. I only use auto mode if I’m just going from point A to B.

With a stage 2+ LGT, I have a huge midrange with max whp at 5300. Left on its own, full auto mode will have me bouncing off redline every time I floor it. Short shifting with manual mode gets me 90% of the speed, and the engine doesn’t even feel like its working hard.

For those of you who bought the LGT as your first ever MT.. how did you guys get a test drive. I'm not too experieced with MT but I want to test drive on before I make any decisions. I'm just worried i'll stall the car and piss off the dealer and he'll end up kicking me out of the car... :lol:

I've read many stories about buying LGTs or WRXs with MT and not knowing how to drive one.. stalling like 5 times on the drive home.

My strategy has been to alter my perception of reality so that in my world automatic transmissions simply do not exist. I've had only one auto in my life and that was a long time ago so I don't even remember what it was like in traffic. I live in NYC and drive in traffic all the time, but the MT doesn't bother me because -hey- what else is there?

I can't imagine powering sharp low-speed turns in this car without clutch/gear control.

Anyone went from a 5-speed car to a 5EAT? I'm wondering if the transition is awkward out of curiosity in case I'd ever find a good deal on a 5EAT. The last time I owned an automatic was my first car, a 92 Integra, which was 4 years ago.

How tough are the clutches remains a concern with me. I don't abuse my clutch, and I am concerned with the later days will like Car and Driver will I have to change one at 32k. If I have to I want to put in a ACT clutch kit if that happens. I have friends that have subies that had good service with them. I love the 5 speed though and only had a Auto box once. Hated it, and never went back. Sometimes in stop and go, Auto box is nice.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Archived