LegacyGT.com

Ever put Diesel in your fuel tank?

Have you ever put diesel fuel in your fuel tank?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever put diesel fuel in your fuel tank?

• No, I have not
    • Yes, I have

Lets put the caliber of the users for the C&D article in perspective.

If you own a Subaru, have you ever put diesel in your fuel tank?

P.S. I mean in the tank of your Subaru. If you put it in something else, including a diesel, you should vote "No, I have not." Seems some folks think this is a trick question.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Why anyone in their right mind would try this if not stranded given the availability of manufacturer mandated straight-up gasoline/petrol is beyond my comprehension. Let's try citronella lamp oil since we're experimenting.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

In my opinion, the level of journalism in C&D has definately been on a decline for the past couple of years. I remember eagerly awating my issues in the mail during the early to mid 1990's when I thought the magazine was fantastic. Now, it seems as though there is very little creativity in their magazine and even less journalism or opinion. Their articles read like a fact sheet and lack any really vivid storytelling seen in CAR, EVO, and recently, to my utter astonishment, Motor Trend. Their photos are also subpar, trailing behind the three other magazines already mentioned. On top of this, it seems as though they are adding stupidity to their list of "skills."

They put diesel fuel in a Legacy, they crash a brand new Ferrari 599 in Italy- all of which they are quick to write off as hysterical situations but show that this magazine is slowly losing its grip.

I have since cancelled my subscription to C&D and am now a rabid fan of the Angus MacKenzie (ex-CAR editor) run Motor Trend.

No, but once I pulled up to a pump that had both a diesel pump, and a regular gas pump. I looked at the number on the pump and went in to pay for the gas, and I said "20 on number 5" and the girl looked at me weird and said "you want diesel?" I said no, the white car there, and she said "oh that is number 7 for regular gas, 5 is the diesel pump". I would have never pumped the diesel in, but I would have been pissed wondering why my pump was not working.

When I went back to the pump, sure enough the gas one was marked number 7.

It was good that the girl noticed, and questioned me on my request.

X

---

Guest *Jedimaster*
Reason for the thread is because Car and Driver magazine, who claimed to read these forums, filled up with a tank of diesel fuel.

A few years ago a mistake at the port put several thousand gallons of diesel fuel into the regular tank at the gas station near my house.

Because of the gas cruch during the hurricanes, we all swarmed like fly's to s*** when we saw the truck pull up. Several of us filled our tanks with diesel. Everyone noticed it almost immediatly. Someone drove off right as I finished topping off, and I knew something wasn't right. The guy next to me noticed, too. After a couple more tried to start their vehicles, we alerted the staff.

Almost everyone there lived in the sub division behind the station. I hot footed it back to the house, picked up my truck and we rope towed a bunch of cars home. The owner of the station was cool about it too. He paid to have the gas tank in my car dropped and cleaned.

The nozzle dosent fit.

The diesel nozzle is larger than the gasoline nozzle and it wont fit in the hole without some persuasion with a very large hammer.

Its much more common for gasoline to be pumped into a diesel engine.

The nozzle dosent fit.

The diesel nozzle is larger than the gasoline nozzle and it wont fit in the hole without some persuasion with a very large hammer.

Its much more common for gasoline to be pumped into a diesel engine.

this

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I was soooooo getting ready to post the same thing......

If you get a Diesel nozzle to fit in a gasoline auto you are truly a great magician;)

Not always true - we had a student employee at my work fill up a (non-diesel) cargo van with diesel at the work fuel farm - the Transportation people said "the nozzle doesn't fit!" Much to their chagrin, it does fit. Dho!

Also, why doesn't the Legacy have a drain plug on the fuel tank? My '87 RX-7 has a drain plug, and that's a car they fought to get rid of /grams/ of weight off of.

-Ryan

To answer your question correctly, yes I own a Subaru, 2 infact, and yes I have also put diesel into my fuel tank.

The reason being I also owned a diesel Peugot at the time, and it went into that tank :lol:

Let me make a wild guess - you're a lawyer?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I stopped at a gas station once and i do all the card stuff, pick up the nozzle on the right and hit 93, nothing happens, i hit it again and try to put the nozzle in the car. wont fit. THANK GOD. i looked back, i picked up the Diesel nozzle. Why would they put Diesel and Gasoline on the same pump!? Its usually its own station.

Funny I found this thread tonight... We were leaving the drive-in (yeah they have them here) and I noticed that my low fuel light was on AND that there was a Shell station adjacent to the drive-in exit.

Pulled in, popped the lid, undid the cap, fed the pump my card, poked the "91" octane button (yeah we have that crap too), stuck the pump nozzle into the filler neck and squeezed off $50.00 of gas. Just as I was getting ready to pull the nozzle out of the filler neck, I smell strong diesel fuel fumes welling up from the general vicinity of my car and my first thought is, OMG you just put diesel in your car.

Heart starts to turn a few extra rpms upward and I turn and look at the pump. Whew! The diesel nozzle is hanging (with it's green protector collar) in its slot and only the $3.589 price (91 Octane) is showing so it's all good and the heart starts to beat a lot slower. Turns out the vehicle ahead of me had overfilled with diesel and it was on the concrete under the car and the wind had shifted just enough to blow out the fumes and up along the side of the car where I was pumping.

So No, I've never put diesel in a vehicle gasoline tank,... but I sure thought I did.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived