LegacyGT.com

Legacy Reliability in Car and Driver test

Agreed. This is not common at all. My friend's '05 LGT has not blown a single gasket past 50K. And he drives his car like it was stolen.

Where did you get this info, zsazsuka?

I only have 36k but f1natic has 65k and has no problems.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got it from Subaru tuning shop who found the problem on mine at the 60,000 spark plug change and I took the car to the Subaru dealer for pressure check before the power train warranty expired and they find a small leak to the cooling system.

After that I called couple of Subaru tuning shops and experts and they told me Subaru still could not solve this issue because the leak coming from the constant movement of the engine head at acceleration with high pressure.

They have problem with the material quality of the head gasket and the material of the studs.

I’m not saying it will happen on every single engine after 50,000 but the tuning shop told me, it's common after 50,000 on the 2.5 liter boxer turbo engine, which used on the wrx, sti and on the legacy GT.

61,000 miles since November 2004. Rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 59,000. ECU and relays replaced under warranty to cure cooling fans running continuously at around 25,000 miles. One headlamp burned out and replaced under warranty around the same time.

I don't start the car with the headlamps "on" so that may be saving bulbs. I also don't drive the car hard or use full throttle until the temperature is at the normal operating level. I cannot remember where I heard this, but head gasket problems often start with rough treatment while the engine is still cold.

Almost forgot, lost one fog lamp bulb about 3 months ago, but I use them all the time.

This issue with the problem on the engine is supported by a subaru dealer mechanic who is working on Subaru-s since 1975 and on the weekend working in this tuning shop where I was informed with this problem. If you know better source on this issue let me know what is the solution because I like the car but now it is at the dealer and waiting for the head gasket replacement. There is after market head gasket and studs available but it’s not provided by the dealer under power train warranty.

By the way this shop has really good reviews on the internet.

Exactly right, the headgasket problem was mainly on the 2.2/2.5 l engines and specifically the 96-99 model lgt (I had a 97 with the same problem).On 2005 models its rare. 80,000 miles on my 05 and no problems.

That being said Consumer Reports lists the Legacy (turbo) above average so I would not worry much on this one bad one.

I love my LGT, but I wouldn't go off what consumer reports says is one of their "Consumer Reports Best Buys". They rated the 2001 Mazda MPV mini-van a "Best Buy" and we bought one only to find that it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. They had to change the plugs everytime they changed the oil because one would foul, it was guttless, wouldn't hold a gear when passing, and rattled to beat hell. Needless to say they actually canceled the following model year production due to the engine problems that every single one of them had.

Again I love my LGT and it has never left me anywhere ever in the 60K+ miles since it was new, but don't blindly trust Consumer Reports car reviews;).

Let's kick this pig!

If these cars were blowing HG's like the shop is telling you, don't you think we would know about it here ?

106,800 miles with Cobb AP stage 1 since 8,000 miles, no HG problems.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Almost all cars have headgasket problems to some extent, with the exception of some old Bugatti that didn't have a separate cylinder head but had the head and cylinders in one single unit.

But it was a bitch to do the valves on that one.

But what varies is the frequency and the cause. Overheating or bad engine assembly are two reasons aside from bad design that can cause a headgasket to go.

453747.png

In my opinion consumer reports is completely worthless as far as automotive reviews, and almost worthless as far as most of the other things they review. I've often had very different opinions after owning products they recommended. CR aside . . .

My Legacy has honestly been pretty awful as far as build quality. Since the second week I owned it I've had problems with the TPMS system. I've been without the car at least 4 days solely because of that issue. They've replaced everything, the module, all sensors, wiring, and it's still a problem. And worse yet they refuse the just "turn off" the system claiming it's illegal to do so. I've also had my moon roof fail twice and was without the car for two days the first time. The arm rest extension rattled like a mofo after a few months and needed replacing. The drivers seat frame has been replaced twice, I lost the car for 3 days between those two swaps. The CD player stopped working and needed to be repaired. The change holder died and just started flopping open, still needs to be fixed. My brake rotors are severely warped after only 11K miles, and I haven't tracked the car or driven it like a nut. And I won't even get into the oil burning issue as that is still being diagnosed. I'm guessing I'll prolly be needing a new short block. Needless to say, I have a real love/hate relationship with the car. My coworkers constantly give me a hard time about Subaru's claim to being reliable. My legacy has been at the shop more in the past 10 months than all of their Audi's, BMW's, Volvo's, and Ford's combined. :( At this point I'm honestly kinda regretting not ponying up for an Evo X MR.

For some reason i have heard alot of bad things on these cars, but subaru has been making this style of engines for a long time, and they arent that expensive to work on compared to other cars even if they do have problems

66k, 2005 LGT which PO took deliver of in nov 2004. I bout it about a year ago. 6 track days, lots of auto-x, ice racing, etc.

I have full records

warranty claims:

wiper blades

headlight bulbs

fan switch

Only repair that wasn't my fault I paid for out of pocket was when the rear ABS sensor ring got fucked up by a rock.

Uses little oil except during tack days when it seems to inhale it. Everything else is perfect. Well there's a hole in the carpet, subaru carpet sucks balls and we can't have floor mats on the track/auto-x.

In my opinion consumer reports is completely worthless as far as automotive reviews, and almost worthless as far as most of the other things they review. I've often had very different opinions after owning products they recommended. CR aside . . .

My Legacy has honestly been pretty awful as far as build quality. Since the second week I owned it I've had problems with the TPMS system. I've been without the car at least 4 days solely because of that issue. They've replaced everything, the module, all sensors, wiring, and it's still a problem. And worse yet they refuse the just "turn off" the system claiming it's illegal to do so. I've also had my moon roof fail twice and was without the car for two days the first time. The arm rest extension rattled like a mofo after a few months and needed replacing. The drivers seat frame has been replaced twice, I lost the car for 3 days between those two swaps. The CD player stopped working and needed to be repaired. The change holder died and just started flopping open, still needs to be fixed. My brake rotors are severely warped after only 11K miles, and I haven't tracked the car or driven it like a nut. And I won't even get into the oil burning issue as that is still being diagnosed. I'm guessing I'll prolly be needing a new short block. Needless to say, I have a real love/hate relationship with the car. My coworkers constantly give me a hard time about Subaru's claim to being reliable. My legacy has been at the shop more in the past 10 months than all of their Audi's, BMW's, Volvo's, and Ford's combined. :( At this point I'm honestly kinda regretting not ponying up for an Evo X MR.

Sounds like you should be able to claim your car to be a "Lemon". The persons assembling it must have done that on a Monday after a hard weekend with a lot of booze...

453747.png

I have an 05 LGT with 60,000 miles on it. Been at stage 2 for 35,000. Had a couple issues but it was all under warranty.

The only major thing was the replacement of a bearing and gear in the tranny. Had front sway bar bushings replaced twice. Rotors were cut a couple of times. Clutch was replaced but that was partially my fault. I have a rattle in the front end right now but it's going to the dealer next week. I know they will take care of me.

I have the ever popular "studder" at 2500 rpm and the center console rattles but I can live with both of those

I have had my share of cars...68 Chevelle SS, 6 Grand Nationals/T-Types, Mazda MX6 turbo and RX7 turbo, and a couple of Maxima's. This is my favorite car. It's my family ride and my kids are always telling me to go faster (Not a good thing at ages 7 and 10 :eek:).

I love the car despite some of the issues and would by another one (Not the new body style).

From a reliability perspective I have had no issues. It's a tank in the snow, handles well IMO, in all condtions, stops well and gets decent gas mileage for a performance sedan with a 4banger in it.

Have a great day!

My car, 73850 miles as of this AM. Been stg 2 since 7500 miles, 18g turbo tuned to 19 psi for what seems forever.

Failures to date; A coolant hose near the turbo leaked, cooling fan recall. Thats it! I have done 2 sets of tires, brakes front and rear, a million oil changes with all the recomended fluid and other maint. thingys.

Other than a few squeeks inside the car in the dash, this car has unprecented (spelling, sorry) durability. I pound this car EVERY day to 6500 rpm.

Screw Car and Driver. If it doesn't have a Honda badge, the don't like it.

For some reason i have heard alot of bad things on these cars, but subaru has been making this style of engines for a long time, and they arent that expensive to work on compared to other cars even if they do have problems

Not really true, the 2.5L is a totally different animal. The 2.0's they've made for a long time and have proven to be pretty durable. Hell, my buddy has a 2.0L WRX with 100K on it and it was stage 2 for a long time and has been running a 20G on stock internals for the last 20K with no issues. Here's a great example of how the 2.5L is a very different animal: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75183

Archived