LegacyGT.com

Legacy Reliability in Car and Driver test

Sorry to hear about the transmission. I'd be surprised if they didn't cover it, unless it's clear that you've severely abused the car.

Manual or auto?

Extended warranties are probably even pickier about abuse.

I just ran the first rough analysis of this quarter's data at TrueDelta.com. Repair rates for the Legacy remain low. 34 responses so far for the 2005, 19 for the 2006, and just 10 for the 2007. I consider results "official" at 25.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings My Lcy Gt ltd has 17,500 miles now (Most hwy. miles-NW Fl. to Ont.Canada ) Its an auto and runs as good as day #1.. The power the flat 4 cyl.

turbo puts out is scary....

deadeye:)

yeah. I just want to make sure I make the proper choice when i sell my Audi and get a GT.

It seems like people have clutch issues too. Its 'feels like shit', etc.Is this common, or are they isolated problems people post about?

yeah. I just want to make sure I make the proper choice when i sell my Audi and get a GT.

It seems like people have clutch issues too. Its 'feels like shit', etc.Is this common, or are they isolated problems people post about?

Clutch is excellent though there have been complaints of clutch stink that I put down to driver error for the most part. The clutch engagement/play is very light to the touch. It only needs toe/ball of foot pressure which is why some are complaining footspace as they are used to a heavy feeling pedal.

In short, I find the clutch delightful.

There will be some clutch stink for the first 1000 miles or so, for some reason. Can also get bad in heavy stop and go rush hour stuff. If you have a nasty slow commute, DO NOT get the manual. I have been driving a long time, I have had LOTS of cars with a manual, but never had this problem before. Luckily I mostly drive on country roads, so it's lots of fun.

The moonroof inner cover squeaked a lot, but the dealer took care of it, now it's fine.

The paint is thin as is the sheet metal, so it shows dings pretty easily.

All that said, the Legacy is a fantastic car for the $. No regrets!

i have a rattle. doesn't bother me at all. just turn the music up a bit more. hmm. other than that. i bought the car with heated seats that the factory just forgot to plug in.. easy fix.. rear window reception problem.. which is common.. fixed that... thats about it. oh wait.. i only have 5k miles on mine :-p

Seems every car/brand/make/model rattles. Lexus, BMW, Honda, etc. If you read any car's forums, you'll find problems. Take it in perspective.

Very true. You can read threads like this one to get a sense of the sort of problems people have with a car, but not problem rates.

My research is structured to get a much more accurate sense of problem rates. People sign up to participate, and then report problems as they occur after that point. This way even if a past problem led them to participate, it won't affect the results.

This approach shows low problem rates for the Legacy, about 0.3 successful repair trips per year. This is similar to what you'll see with a Honda, Toyota, or (surprisingly) some recent Ford cars (Fusion, Five Hundred). The average is about twice this level, and the worst are 3-4 times this level.

And even with the worst the average is a repair trip a year.

More details on the research:

Vehicle reliability research

My 2005 Legacy GT Wagon blew its transmission yesterday, 46K miles, unsure yet on warranty coverage. I see this as an isolated incident, probably defective part, but still would recommend my car to anyone. Best bang for the buck car I have seen. BTW the fix is going to take 2-3 weeks, and even though the warranty is 5yr-60Kmi on the power train they are warning me that if they see customer abuse that it will not be covered. You should think about an extended warranty.:cool:

How do you blow up a manual transmission? What actually did you "blow up"? Hard shifts and redlining can lead to clutch failure but what exactly happened to you tranny?

How do you blow up a manual transmission? What actually did you "blow up"? Hard shifts and redlining can lead to clutch failure but what exactly happened to you tranny?

What happened remains to be seen. The local Subaru dealer has the car and has yet to give me a report, but it did happen Friday on my way home from work.

The blow up happened has follows (by the way I am by no means a take it to the red line driver as indicated by the 2 child seats in the back). I was on the freeway here in Phoenix, 55mph, traffic slowed I breaked and down shifted from 5th to 4th, I heard a clunk and the gear let go. I put in the clutch coasted off the freeway (lucky) and managed to get the car into 2nd. I drove to a safe place to stop (sloooowly) and then the 2nd gear went and white smoke briefly came out of the bottom of the car. All the while the tranny was making a horrible rattling noise. Blow up.

:cool:

wow, I just read the c/d review, they ripped this car to shreds. I've never seen such a bad review of a car in my life. As an owner with 31, almost 32k miles on my car, I've only had a few problems and all of them have been minor. I dont know where the check engine light is.. however as I start to think about replacing the car or keep it "indefinatley".. my mind does drift back to the endless problems they had and makes me wonder if my car is simply delayed in the horrible failures of their tester.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

wow, I just read the c/d review, they ripped this car to shreds. I've never seen such a bad review of a car in my life. As an owner with 31, almost 32k miles on my car, I've only had a few problems and all of them have been minor. I dont know where the check engine light is.. however as I start to think about replacing the car or keep it "indefinatley".. my mind does drift back to the endless problems they had and makes me wonder if my car is simply delayed in the horrible failures of their tester.

is the article online? if it isn't.. what month's issue??

18k kms here.. I'm happy. Slight rattle in the center console, but nothing un-fixable.

Oh, I try to keep soap out of the intercooler to the best of my ability, which helps.

20K here - completely unreliable for me. Dealership is unable to solve the problem, and now has to go in for its third lengthy stay in just three months.

I am very unhappy with my car, I still have a year left in payments, and currently making payments on a car I can barely drive due to issues it has. Subaru has not been very helpful, the dealership can not fix the vehicle, I am not getting loaners, I am forced to have to bother other people to get rides back and forth from the dealership.

This sucks more than you could ever imagine.

I feel royally fucked and I am getting nowhere. I have gotten upset over it to the point where I've gotten sick. Nothing is being solve, all I am getting is "we'll work on it" and I am left with nothing for one to two weeks at a time. My experiences have been terrible. Car and Driver doesn't even compare to my awful experience.

Update on my tranny issue. So far, so bad. The dealership has now had my car since Friday, 5 days and still no diagnosis. The best they have done is tell me they think maybe it isn't the tranny, but the clutch, but they are not sure as they have yet to pull it. Additionally, all the while they are telling me dispite the 5 yr/60K mi warranty expect to pay. As a side not this morning coming into work I saw a guy pushing his 2007 Legacy AT and offered to help. His AT was not working. I don't know if this is a Phoenix 110+ degree issue, or not, but it is rare that I see a Legacy around here, and the two I have seen this week are broke down.

Update, got a call at 4:30 today with a diag. The throw out bearing "catastrophically" broke. The breakage was so bad the the piece that broke off flew around inside the tranny and cracked the case. The subaru service manager said he had never seen anything like this and is going to press Subaru for warranty coverage due to the severity, even though this item is only warrantied for 36K miles. I am keeping my fingers crossed SOA cooperates.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

My GT has 60,000 miles and the head gasket blows.

I find out that is typical on LGT turbo engine after 50,000 miles. To bad because it's fun car but not reliable. If you need more info check garage tuning web site or call the owner.

It's not typical on LGT turbo engines after 50,000 miles.

Agreed. This is not common at all. My friend's '05 LGT has not blown a single gasket past 50K. And he drives his car like it was stolen.

Where did you get this info, zsazsuka?

Archived