LegacyGT.com

Legacy Reliability in Car and Driver test

Hi Gang,

I'm interested in purchasing a Legacy GT and saw the latest Car and Driver's long-term test in their latest edition. The number of problems they had frightened me. Is C/D's experience typical or are Legacys pretty reliable? Thanks.

I am on my 5th legacy since 1991. All have been trouble free. I did all Scheduled Maintenance.

Thats not to say that I didnt have to fix anything.

2 wheel bearings 1 covered under warranty

1 head gasket

2 alternators 1 covered by recall

1 thermostat

numerous headlamps

1 oxygen sensor

No clutches, Transmissions, or engine work, other than the head gasket.

All these cars have gone well over 100,000 miles with the exception of my first legacy a 1991 I traded in with 98,000 miles. Nothing wrong, just wanted a new car. And of course my Spec.b with currently has 9400 miles.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No issues with long-term reliability. Squeeks and rattles - possible but none apparent on my two 98 GTs, the 99 Wagon or my 2005 LGT Wagon. Had the one issue with the clutch at ~4,000 miles but fixed under warranty (with a loaner car so no OOP expenses). No other issues in 30,000 miles.

The key to Subaru longevity is to be fastidious in following the maintenance schedule. Do the routine maintenance (especially the coolant changes at 30K intervals) and these things will literally run until there's no more gasoline to run them.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't pay one ounce of attention to what consumer reports says. Don't get me wrong, I love my LGT and everything but they miss the boat so many times. I used to sell TV's and ppl would always come in with "I had an RCA for 20 years and consumer reports says their good, I want another one." And then about 2 minutes later say they would never own a GE TV cuz they're garbage. You shoulda seen how many ppl got switched to Panasonic's and Sony's when I told them that GE's run down the same assembly lines as RCA's.

Actually RCA's have never done well for reliability in TV's. It's not only GE but RCA also. Sony has been below average for reliability. What's been consistent for years? Sanyo...yep...not the best performing TV but by far the most rugged. Performance and reliability are two different issues.

I understand that RCA's have horrible reliability, I never said they were good, I said customers said they were good and when I told them they were the same TV's as GE's, which they just said were garbage, they flipped.

It's like sayin you'd never own a GMC Sierra, you'd only own a Chevy Silverado, cuz you had a Sierra one time that the clutch blew out after 5k miles, and in all the Chevy's you've had, they've never done that.

Ok, I understand what your saying and yes it is funny how people are. I used to have a Ross 21" computer monitor and this was actually the same as the Hitachi 21, Ross was the name of a computer company and they contracted with Hitachi and just put their emblem on the front. Stamped on the back was the Hitachi logo and mfg#.

Kenmore doesn't build their own appliances, it uses GE and Whirlpool, among others.

Years ago in the mid to late 90's the Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prizm where the same car, built by Toyota. How many people would claim the Prizm was as reliable as the Corolla?

Ok, I understand what your saying and yes it is funny how people are. I used to have a Ross 21" computer monitor and this was actually the same as the Hitachi 21, Ross was the name of a computer company and they contracted with Hitachi and just put their emblem on the front. Stamped on the back was the Hitachi logo and mfg#.

Kenmore doesn't build their own appliances, it uses GE and Whirlpool, among others.

Years ago in the mid to late 90's the Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prizm where the same car, built by Toyota. How many people would claim the Prizm was as reliable as the Corolla?

The Prizm was as reliable, but I think it was the Toyota Tercel, not the Corolla. Either that or the Toyota Tercel = Geo Metro... because there was a Geo based on the Tercel (which my friend used to have up until recently).

15K mi on my '06 and not a single quirk or issue except the glovebox is hard to close.

I had a new '00 Legacy with all kinds of problems - bad computer, pinging engine, other problems I cant remember now but the moral of the story is first year models are probably less reliable in general, but I agree with the general consensus on the new ones - they are great cars.

The Prizm was as reliable, but I think it was the Toyota Tercel, not the Corolla. Either that or the Toyota Tercel = Geo Metro... because there was a Geo based on the Tercel (which my friend used to have up until recently).

Back in 99, when I was car shopping, I remember reading about the Prizm whilst researching; it was indeed based on the Corolla. My friend's parents also drove a green one.

After 28,000 miles ----

-had to have dealer (warranty) replace clutch pedal due to squeeking.

-one burned out headlight replaced under warranty.

-engine warm-up solenoid bad, leading to check engine light and blinking cruise control (on order)

-center console fit problem (dealer unable to fix)

No major engine / tranny issues though. It's not at the level one would expect from an Audi or VW (speaking from experience), nor is it on par with Lexus / Toyota in terms of overall quality.

25,000 in 18 mos. on my '05 Wagon GT 5 speed. A few limited issues like a faulty auto dimming mirror. There is no question in my mind the C&D staff beat the snot out of that car. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Legacy based on reliability.

You guys sure report a wide range of experience with Subaru maintenance.

I

sure would not be happy with any serious problems in the first 50,000 miles with any car.

Look at this survey reults for Subaru out of the UK ... Subaru is reliable ... but ... fixes are very expensive. http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=212036&EL=3103326

You guys sure report a wide range of experience with Subaru maintenance.

I

sure would not be happy with any serious problems in the first 50,000 miles with any car.

Look at this survey reults for Subaru out of the UK ... Subaru is reliable ... but ... fixes are very expensive. http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=212036&EL=3103326

I'd have to agree. I've got over 110k miles on my Accord and have not had one major problem with it. Not one.

My front rotors, or at least one of the, seems to be warping. But it's not bad, and only noticable on clutch-in slow stops.

I gotta say, that C&D article was kinda scary (unlike the excelent motortrend article), and the fact people here are having issues with so relatively few miles on the car isn't too great either.

I'm still going to get one... it's the only car fits my needs :p (good looks, 240+ HP, 4 doors, AWD, < $22k, 5 years old or newer)

Hi Gang,

I'm interested in purchasing a Legacy GT and saw the latest Car and Driver's long-term test in their latest edition. The number of problems they had frightened me. Is C/D's experience typical or are Legacys pretty reliable? Thanks.

I've owned an '05 LGT Wagon LTD 5EAT since 9/04 and it has about 26k miles.

So far...

• Within the first couple of months I noticed a rattle coming from the left side of the dash. According to the dealer it was a loose wire that rattled against another object during cold temps.
  • Both headlight bulbs went out within weeks of each other around the one-year mark. Apparently, SOA bought low quality bulbs from their supplier. Supposedly the '06 comes with different bulbs
  • The horn stopped working around the 18-month mark.

Other than that the car is brilliant!

The horn stopped working around the 18-month mark.

Uh oh, watch for finger;)

BOT, I've had some seat trim panel clips replaced, my glove box latch catch is loose(new part on order), and my AC short cycles. My dealer said what the dealer in the MT article said about the AC, so I'm gonna throw the fix at him next time I have a day to kill. All told, 14k+ very fun miles.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• Within the first couple of months I noticed a rattle coming from the left side of the dash. According to the dealer it was a loose wire that rattled against another object during cold temps.

I can't stand rattles!

That's actually the only thing I used my warranty for. I must have had my car in the dealership every other month for the last 6 months of the warranty trying to cure rattles.

My glove box rattles.

My dome light cover rattles.

My dash rattles.

Something on my door frame rattles.

Something in the back of the car rattles.

It's pretty annoying, but certainly not a lot to worry about.

As for headlights, I've actually seen this mentioned alot. But for me, not a big deal either. I've had Slyvania Silverstars in my car for close to 3 years now, and it's pretty regular they go out after about a year. My current bulbs are actually the best, been in for well over a year now :)

I can't stand rattles!

That's actually the only thing I used my warranty for. I must have had my car in the dealership every other month for the last 6 months of the warranty trying to cure rattles.

My glove box rattles.

My dome light cover rattles.

My dash rattles.

Something on my door frame rattles.

Something in the back of the car rattles.

It's pretty annoying, but certainly not a lot to worry about.

As for headlights, I've actually seen this mentioned alot. But for me, not a big deal either. I've had Slyvania Silverstars in my car for close to 3 years now, and it's pretty regular they go out after about a year. My current bulbs are actually the best, been in for well over a year now :)

TravisS,

Your car is listed as an Accord 2001? What does this have to do with the Subaru Legacy reliability? Besides the headlight issue is due to the fact DLR for the Subie runs the low beam all the time and thus will wear out any bulb faster. Most mfg. cars use their High Beam for DLR, just a lower intensity. My bulbs ran out around 17,000 miles on one and approx. 18,000 on the other. Way too early and Subaru needs to change their procedure for running DLR/s in the future.

TravisS,

Your car is listed as an Accord 2001? What does this have to do with the Subaru Legacy reliability? Besides the headlight issue is due to the fact DLR for the Subie runs the low beam all the time and thus will wear out any bulb faster. Most mfg. cars use their High Beam for DLR, just a lower intensity. My bulbs ran out around 17,000 miles on one and approx. 18,000 on the other. Way too early and Subaru needs to change their procedure for running DLR/s in the future.

Simple Bob, for comparisons :)

97itr153 said he had a problem with a rattle in his Legacy. Well, I have had a ton of problems with rattles in my Accord. Most likely, rattles are something you have to deal with in every car, as annoying as they are.

Similar with the headlights, though with the DLR I see your point. My headlights are very rarely on, maybe 30 minutes a week. So for the bulbs to go out early with DLR is more understandable.

Ultimately though, there's a number of threads on this forum that are helping me shape my decision on whether I'm going to get the Legacy or not. I do have some concerns, and reliability is up there. I need to compare the Legacy to other cars, including my own.

I'm also considering an '03 G35 or '03 TL Type S. Both are similarly priced to an '05 Legacy GT, both have similar performance to the Legacy 5EAT, but the G35 has an excelent reliability status (unlike the TL) that I'm afraid the Legacy just can't match.

Simple Bob, for comparisons :)

97itr153 said he had a problem with a rattle in his Legacy. Well, I have had a ton of problems with rattles in my Accord. Most likely, rattles are something you have to deal with in every car, as annoying as they are.

Similar with the headlights, though with the DLR I see your point. My headlights are very rarely on, maybe 30 minutes a week. So for the bulbs to go out early with DLR is more understandable.

Ultimately though, there's a number of threads on this forum that are helping me shape my decision on whether I'm going to get the Legacy or not. I do have some concerns, and reliability is up there. I need to compare the Legacy to other cars, including my own.

I'm also considering an '03 G35 or '03 TL Type S. Both are similarly priced to an '05 Legacy GT, both have similar performance to the Legacy 5EAT, but the G35 has an excelent reliability status (unlike the TL) that I'm afraid the Legacy just can't match.

I would think that some of the 05 Legacy's first year gremlins would have been worked out for 06. I was also considering an 03 G35 to replace my venerable 95 J30t but the 03 was also a first year car that did have a fair number of problems. One problem that I can recall was the windshields cracking on the first year G. I figured I'd go with a nearly new second year Spec.B.

I don't want to take this thread too far off track, but I can't afford an '06, so it's '05 or no Legacy for me.

Currently there's 2 '05 GT Limiteds for sale with a killer price. Both are Garnet Red 5 MT models for $20k. I can't touch that price even with a regular GT. I don't like red, but I do like great deals and an '06 for about $5k more is simply too much. If my budget allowed $25k I'd be looking at an '04 TL instead.

The headlight bulbs are covered under warranty. Subaru will even replace your wiper blades under warranty. Buy the car, you won't look back. Best overall car out there for the price. Power, Comfort, Safety, etc. etc.

Funny thing, knew someone who just traded their '04 TL for a 2006 WRX limited.

Archived