LegacyGT.com

Comparison of USDM, JDM & COBB bars

vel0mac

I agree with you on COBB not communicating properly.

I have had my front bar on for about a month now and no problems.

I like how you used the shaft collar to hold the bar in place properly. I had a Whiteline RSB that was known to slip from side-to-side and possibly rub the brake lines.:eek: I used some rubber tubing (about 1 inch) and clamped it on the RSB with a stainless hose clamp. One on each side worked well to stop lateral movement. I might have to do the same with my COBB FSB. I will be checking soon, to see what kind of lateral movement I get.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic write up. Before I even looked at your profile I said to myself- this guy has got to be an engineer ! You likely saved some others some grief and better yet came up with an easy fix. Anyone can bitch but not everyone can come up with practical solutions. Thanks

Great writeup. I was contemplating the Cobb set, but I think I will go the Cusco route as there seems to be no issues with them so far.

Ding ding ding! winnah! The Cusco sways havent had any problems from day one.

nice write up!

if you have not already...think about getting new tires. A great summer tire or a UHP all season will be a great improvement over the RE92's and contribute significantly to your handling.

It sounds like right now the Cusco's would be a safer option than the Cobb, and I would guess similar performance. My question is, does anyone know if the Cusco's will fit on an Outback?

It sounds like right now the Cusco's would be a safer option than the Cobb, and I would guess similar performance. My question is, does anyone know if the Cusco's will fit on an Outback?

Good question,,start a thread and ask.

I just received a very nice note from COBB and they admitted that there was some miscommunication on their end. I am positively impressed with their customer service, and to me that is worth a lot. They are clearly better than many other vendors.

At this point in time, they are not suggesting/offering their bars to be used with OBXT cars. They also sent me a photo of their front bar as mounted to a Legacy, and the fit is clearly different than the fit on my OBXT.

I am confident that they will get any fitment issues with these bars corrected very soon. Be patient, I think it will be worth it.

Asked around for you about Cusco fitting the Outback.....from PatagonianGT:

yes. The set I bought (and sold) came from an OBXT owner. You will have to swap the rear bumpstops out for an LGT set though, as the OBXT has long ones. These are external to the suspension and easy to access, so no biggie.

If I were you I would get COBB's bars and use the fancy little fix that is suggested in this thread.

Vel0mac, you can ignore my PM, I didn't see this thread. Hopefully COBB will revise the front because I really want to order a set.

You said that they looked different on the LGT? Strange if the OEM bars are ths same P/N...

Grrr.. can't wait... must wait...

Just because they are the same part number does not mean an aftermarket piece will work for both.

COBB's bar is different then stock, and works on the LGT, but obviously has some differences that don't allow it to work on the Outback.

This thread shows just what you need to make it work though.:)

FWIW, using vel0mac's dimensions:

Rear, compared to our LOBW's 15mm bar:

16mm solid USDM LGT is 29% stiffer

20mm hollow JDM is 111% stiffer

18mm solid Swift is 107% stiffer

22.4mm hollow Cobb is 263% stiffer

Front, compared to our LOBW's 21mm bar:

25.6mm hollow Cobb is 47% stiffer.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I have been in contact with Trey Cobb (he emailed me several hours after I posted this thread initially) and from what I can tell he is working on making the bars fit the OB and the Legacy. He found the info that I sent them very helpful and, in addition to some measurements that I will take for him in the next day or so, my understanding is that they plan on using this info to rectify the fit problems. It sure seems like they are planning on making the front bar fit the XT better. I like mine a lot, the car is a lot more fun to drive and the retrofit is not that difficult. And so far after doing the retrofit I have had ZERO problems. No noise, no rubbing, etc... and NO BROKEN LINKS.

By the way, in lieu of the machined spacers that I used, one can most likely also use fixturing washers from McMaster-Carr (p/n: 94768A106)

nice write up!

if you have not already...think about getting new tires. A great summer tire or a UHP all season will be a great improvement over the RE92's and contribute significantly to your handling.

Thanks for the tip, Han'sGT, I appreciate it. I will look into other tires, but for now I have a lot of tread left and it does not make sense for me to pitch them yet. I guess I'm a bit of a cheapskate :lol:

vel0mac - superb writeup and analysis of alternatives. And you're a machinist too. Nice.

Keep up the good work and every OBW owner should be tipping their hat to you for the effort.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I thank youa s well...I have the full cobb set for my LGT and the requisite rubbing...nice to see I will be helped by your and all the other reports...makes me glad i chose a product that is backed up by the builder!

• 4 months later...

Bringing this thread back from the netherworld...

It seems Cobb has done nothing to fix the front bar design issue. Someone else here recently installed both Cobb bars and the front still has the same problem of being too short so that the endlinks are at extreme angles.

Come on, Cobb! Don't fill any more orders for your front bar until you fix the design/fitment issue. Please.

I installed the cobb sways about a month ago and the rear bar is great, no problems. But the front is a problem. It keeps walking from side to side and like others have said, its too short. I agree that Cobb should work on the front bar. It is putting some crazy wear on my AVO endlinks.