LegacyGT.com

AC Problems - Condenser leak? Pics inside->

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru will never replace something like this under warrenty. If a rock hit your windshield, would they replace it? Nope. Same thing here. If you have comprehensive insurance though, it will cover it. What erks me is this has happened to a LOT of cars. The Tech at the dealership made it seem like it happens all the time when it happened to my car. To me, this is a design flaw if a fragile part is not protected. Look at the front of a BMW, you know what you see, a screen over the condensor.

The guy said the "sniffer" couldnt even find it, thats how small the hole was..

He apparently doesn't know how to use the sniffer. The electronic leak detector can sniff leaks so small that they would take weeks or months for enough dye to leak out that it would be visable. Most of the time, they're too damn sensitive.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Who knows if he used the sniffer at all.. thats just what he told me.. but in any case, i could plainly see what looked like a impact site on the condensor when lit up with the green dye.

The condensor itself cost 400 bucks, 50 bucks overnight shipping (bogus!), and i guess that would make 280 for diagnosis, install, and freeon (or whatever its called). Highway robbery!

I agree our condensors are fragile. A friend of mine punctured his while doing a transmission cooler install. The spot where it punctured was very tiny and in my opinion should not have puncured that easily. A screen sounds like its in order! Any ideas in the material for use?

Well, my car is fixed... atleast thats what the message said. I gotta go pick it up soon.. its going to be wonderful having AC again!! my temp gauge here at work says 99 degrees in the shade! Yowzers.

I am going to hit up home depot soon and see what I can find to make a small shield to fit around it.. or maybe the whole bottom grill area.

Its weird though.. if you think about how many bent fins you have on a radiator or intercooler and it doesnt leak.. and these condensors seem to leak if you look at them weird. Do they make all 3 of these parts out of different types of metal or just different thickness material? Or do intercoolers leak but not enough to cause a problem where as pressurized gas will leak till it runs out.

Bah!

Well, that may be so, but lets talk again when a pin-hole costs you $500. :icon_wink:

Like paint chips and broken windshields... it is a little luck (or unluck), road conditions, and driving habits that contributes to the likelyhood of this type of failure.

The condenser is made of aluminum (thin gauge) so that it more effectively transfers heat OUT of the refrigerant. Just like your I/C... it consists of thin walled tubing with finned webbing to increase surface area.

Unfortunately... it is also at the front of the car. ;)

^ I hear you, sh*t happens, I agree. It sucks. Parts break, manufactures have defects, eagles fly into your windshield holding field mice and leave a bloody mess of fur and feathers.

But, I disagree, a lot of cars DO have a grill or screen or some sort in the front. Some don't, yes. All I'm saying, as a mechanical engineer/product designer, is that if I was responsible for integrating a fragile/vulnerable part into a product, and didn't design a way to protect it from normal conditions, I wouldn't have my job for very long. Paint chips and windshield chips don't diminish the functionality of the car.

I got AC! Nice n cold.

Its weird though.. my car doesnt feel the same as it did with the AC on.. It seems to cycle on and off alot more often and put a bigger load on the motor than it did before. On top of that, I sat in traffic for about 10 minutes with the A/C on and it started to go warm and only cooled back down once I started moving again. IIRC, my car never needed to be moving to have ice cold air pouring out of the vents... but then again, this is the first 100 degree weather ive had AC with this car, so im not sure if its normal or not.

I got AC! Nice n cold.

Its weird though.. my car doesnt feel the same as it did with the AC on.. It seems to cycle on and off alot more often and put a bigger load on the motor than it did before. On top of that, I sat in traffic for about 10 minutes with the A/C on and it started to go warm and only cooled back down once I started moving again. IIRC, my car never needed to be moving to have ice cold air pouring out of the vents... but then again, this is the first 100 degree weather ive had AC with this car, so im not sure if its normal or not.

Mine acts the same... to a small extent. "Warmer" and "cooler" are relitive terms. Take a thermometer and stick it in the center vent.... tell us what temperatures you hit....

Mine acts the same... to a small extent. "Warmer" and "cooler" are relitive terms. Take a thermometer and stick it in the center vent.... tell us what temperatures you hit....

id have to go get a digital kitchen thermometer or something.. i dont think my kids oral thermometer will work well. :)

• 1 year later...

I found my condensor was punctured today, the pinhole is BEHIND the bracket in front of our condensors... now someone please explain how the hell a rock went through the bracket ;\ :spin:

My A/C started blowing warm a few months ago, so I recharged it and added dye then.

• 2 years later...

BAH!!!!!

Made it almost 4 years without issue, but turned the A/C on this morning and was blowing nothing but warm air. FML

There goes my turbo fund.. sadly I have already purchased everything else needed for the swap! GDMFSOB!~

• 4 weeks later...

my legacy has been blowing warm and diagnosed with a bad condensor last month... they want 600+ at subaru to replace it...

I would do it myself but what is involved? Wouldn't I need a license to charge it up or something? I'd hate to spend the money to have a mechanic do it if i can do it myself...

Archived