LegacyGT.com

AC Problems - Condenser leak? Pics inside->

Got in my car today to find that the AC doesnt work at all. Controls work, the AC Pump (whatever its called) turns on (I hear a click anyway in the engine bay) but just hot air pumps out.. really hot air.

So I did a quick search here and found out that most AC problems here were caused by a punctured condenser and went to take a look. I think im the latest victim.. What do you guys think?

Driverside:

http://www.mastamoon.com/lgt/AC/IMG_1585.JPG

Passenger Side:

http://www.mastamoon.com/lgt/AC/IMG_1586.JPG

http://www.mastamoon.com/lgt/AC/IMG_1587.JPG

http://www.mastamoon.com/lgt/AC/IMG_1588.JPG

Notice the driverside looks dry and 'clean' vs. the passengerside that looks oily or something. So does this look like a broken condenser or what?

What really sucks is I just saved up 600 bucks in Subaru Bucks that ill probably end up having to use to get this fixed. Sucks ass but i guess is better than paying out cash.

I think im gonna try n put some sort of mesh down there.. something fairly open but might just deflect or take the brunt of a rock hit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you had a hole in the condensor, the refregerant would be low and the compressor would not turn on. It is possible that you have a small leak and the pressure hasn't dopped enough, but that is not likely (the system needs 18 psi or so of pressure to turn on and a leak will not hold that pressure). Odds are that the expansion valve is damaged or the drier is ruined.

Very easy for a dealer to diagnose.

The oily residue you are seeing is likely compressor oil, the good news is that I don't see any punctures from road debris...it might just be covered under warranty!

Yeah... that looks a little suspicious. That could be PAG oil from the refrigerant loop.... but as Rob said... your compressor shouldn't turn on if you are low on freon. There is a pressure switch in the system.

If it's a small leak could be enough pressure to turn it on but not enough coolant do actually do anything. When I serviced the AC in my honda only something like 1/8th charge of coolant was enough for the pressure switch.. I suppose it's like our oil pressure switch, garbage.

I 'think' I hear my compressor going on... There is a noticable click that happens in the engine bay when I press the AC button.

In any case, I really wish I hadnt just installed a catback on my car.. now im paranoid that the dealer monkeys will want to take a couple "road tests" to see whats wrong with the AC. ;)

Made an appointment for tomorrow morning at Precision Tuning to take a look. If it turns out to be a big ticket item under warranty ill take it to a stealership. Id rather pay a few bucks more and have some trustworthy people look at it than get a free "bend over n take it".

Welp, Precision Tuning says its the Condensor alright.. but cannot find any signs of physical damage on the unit itself. Told me it should be covered under warranty. Im waiting for a call back to tell me how much it would be to replace with them just in case.

Dont know if its worth my time/effort to go bring it to Subaru for them to probably say its been damaged and deny it being covered under warranty. Only to have to bring it back to Precision to have it fixed anyhow.

Anybody know what the unit cost on the condensor is?

R134A.... and alot of people still call it Freon.... :rolleyes:

Freon is a Dupont trade name...

If you buy a can it will be labeled as "Refrigerant R134A" ... but Dupont's name for the R134A is "Suva".

Update... I havent gone to Subaru yet even though its 90+ degrees here today and should be for the next couple days. I just dont have the time right now to give up my car for a day or more.

Precision gave me a price to do everything.. little over 600 bucks, Condensor is 340, 125 ish to install and the rest is charging the system. Not bad and im sure a lot better than what Subaru will charge if its not covered.

Hopefully ill get to take a day off next week n bring it in to Subaru and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they found a spot where a rock hit it... The guy said the "sniffer" couldnt even find it, thats how small the hole was.. but after putting dye in, it lit up like a xmas tree.

Cost to fix, 730... luckly I have/had $700 subaru bucks in hand so it will only cost me 30 bucks to get fixed. I hate to spend it on this, but its better than paying outta pocket.

Well, they found a spot where a rock hit it... The guy said the "sniffer" couldnt even find it, thats how small the hole was.. but after putting dye in, it lit up like a xmas tree.
The sniffer is supposed to find leaks so small dye isn't enough.. *shrug*

Archived