LegacyGT.com

For those that want a "big bulge"

TRS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am doing the STI swap and I am concerned about under hood temps and getting enough air flow to the intercooler. I may have to pick one up and give it a try.

Unless you cut a larger hole into your hood, this won't give you any increase in air flow since we have an integrated scoop (unlike the WRX/STi with the big hole+add-on scoop). This would just fit over the stock hood's existing opening.

-Mike-

Unless you cut a larger hole into your hood, this won't give you any increase in air flow since we have an integrated scoop (unlike the WRX/STi with the big hole+add-on scoop). This would just fit over the stock hood's existing opening.

-Mike-

True, I know we have a smaller hole in our hoods. But, the front part of the scoop comes out, so if this replaces that piece and sticks up further, it should catch more air flow. Am I off base with my thinking here?

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

-Mike-

Agreed. :)

I wanna know where brother praedet went!? :confused: I want him to model this and figure out if it'll actually do us any good!

Damn aerospace engineers and their long honeymoons! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

But, the front part of the scoop comes out, so if this replaces that piece and sticks up further, it should catch more air flow. Am I off base with my thinking here?

I am by no means an aerodynamics expert, but I believe that the existing opening will only let a certain amount of air in (same as the stock hood scoop). The extra air that doesn't make it into the scoop will be forced in and over the opening (since there will be a dead space above the hood and below the scoop). However, this is just how I am conceptually seeing it. :p

I think that you'd be better off retrofitting an intercooler water spray (like on the STi) for additional cooling with the STi TMIC than this scoop. It'd probably cost around the same anyway.

-Mike-

I am by no means an aerodynamics expert, but I believe that the existing opening will only let a certain amount of air in (same as the stock hood scoop). The extra air that doesn't make it into the scoop will be forced in and over the opening (since there will be a dead space above the hood and below the scoop). However, this is just how I am conceptually seeing it. :p

I think that you'd be better off retrofitting an intercooler water spray (like on the STi) for additional cooling with the STi TMIC than this scoop. It'd probably cost around the same anyway.

-Mike-

Yeah, good point. I was going to go with a sprayer for the intercooler anyways, but figured that the extra air couldn't hurt. But I see your point, the hole is only so big, so only a certain amount of air can pass through, no matter how big the scoop is.

I don't think it looks bad, but if it does not serve a purpose it is a waste of money,

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

i wouldnt mind a bigger scoop...i want one where i can see the bulge while im sitting inside the car like the old 2.5rs..wrx..sti..etc.

does the huge scoop from the 05 STi fit on our LGT??

totally..that thing is ricerific.

I think it would be really sweet.

Replace my OEM spoiler with a big T-handle one, get the A-post mounted chrome fire extinguisher, some GT-R badges, some EL lights to trim the dash......

Man I would be fast!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

The big issue of the STi swap is the different shape of the intercooler vs. the LGTs. This scoop does NOTHING to address that, so there would be no improvement...

Actually, trying to force more air through the same size hole without some nifty nozzles to try and increase air velocity would make some large stagnation regions. The stagnation would in actuallity reduce flow to the IC. So, there is a good chance this scoop would reduce flow to the IC unless you increased the size of the holes in the hood... :(

Ted

TSi: I'm back :D

:spin:

^ Ted's back! :D :D

Welcome back, bruddah! And again, congrats on all that's good and recent in your life! :)

Listen to brother Ted, boys and gals. He *knows* what he's talking about when it comes to aero stuff!!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived