LegacyGT.com

New hitch and bike rack installed...

fatbastard

but I am a bit disappointed. Both were easy to install and appear to be well made...maybe just not for this car. After I got the hitch installed I thought it stuck out more than I would like but I was OK with it. But once I installed the bike rack it appeared way too low and these concerns were confirmed pulling into my development when the hitch adjustment knob rubbed the ground without any bikes installed or gear in the back. Just with the rack installed the car is riding about half an inch lower in the rear. I was thinking of lower springs for a future job but stock height might be too low. Any recommendations? Are there heavy duty springs that would increase teh spring rate but not lower the car? I thought about one of those adaptors that raise the hitch 3" but that will just cantelever the rack further off the back and I am worried about the DH bikes weighing too much.

Img_0333_small.thumb.jpg.f951517b3acbe34623542f313287f889.jpg

Img_0335_small.thumb.jpg.b66870cf07e54278d75bbd8f07b606f4.jpg

I like that rack. I too have the hitch system set up. I'm using the Xport from Performance bikes. maybe something to look into. The tubing arches up from the hitch and gives me plenty of clearance.

The Xport using a different latching system to secure the bikes though. It has a hook that clamps down on top of the bike to secure it to the rack. think it would still work with a DH bike.

Where are you in relation to Mt Laurel, NJ? We go to visit my brother in law every couple months, never been riding in jersey before.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The rack is really well made and is designed to take DH tires up to 3" wide, which is part of the reason I went with it. I have seen the Xport but I could never find any specs on it to tell me what size tires fit, not just width but diameter and what kind of weights it can handle. This rack holds up to 60 or 70 pound bikes so it is made like a brick shithouse.

Unfortuantely I am at the other end of the state in the sticks. My town is actually on the border with NY state. But if you want to come up this way some time let me know...I'll show you around.

will do. not much of the down hiller type, prefer the single track. I like staying on the ground:icon_wink

good luck with the rack. not sure how much the xport can handle, but think it would accept those tires.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

will do. not much of the down hiller type, prefer the single track. I like staying on the ground:icon_wink

Trust me...I don't like to leave the ground either, whenever I do it always ends badly. I used to do more DH but that was because my buddy was running the rental shop at the local park...now when I get out it is usually for XC. But don't expect much out of me....we call ourselves Team Fat Bastard.

first off, nice rack!

cycle-on's kick a$$. i love that rack. i had one on my previous car '99 Brighton w/stock suspension and had scraping problems as well. this time around i went back to the roof since my plans include lowering this car.

I dont get it? Why not yakimas on top? That its the only regret I have, not getting the wagon for the roof racks. I used the racks on my outback almost daily. Roof racks are a much better setup IMHO. The hitch rack makes it a hassle to get your gear out of the hatchback.

The only benefit I found for the hitch rack was a place to sit and lick my wounds after a sh*tty lap at a 24 hour bike race :lol: Oh, its kinnda useful for hanging your sweaty shorts on too.:icon_bigg

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I wanted to stay away from roof racks for a couple of reasons:

1) the ones that will hold the DH bikes are huge and would be very loud

2) all to often I get hurt or sore from riding DH and the thought of lifting a 40-60 pound bike and putting it on the roof had me nervous...I just know one of those set screws in the pedals is hitting the car.

3) roof racks are limited to 100 pounds, two DH bikes could exceed that.

4) I like using the sunroof and was concerned that shit would fall of the bikes into the car, some stuff is easy to clean but the swamp water around here is a bitch. I also wanted to make sure nothing could fall into the sunroof tracks and cause a problem.

5) Basically the same as 4 but concerning the outside of the car.

I thought this rack would be easy to load and keep everything safe......well it is still better than my origianl idea of putting the bikes in the back of the wagon.

I think I might try putting another spacer under the forward most bolts to see if I can tip the back up a little.

I can tell you roof racks can support more than 100 lbs. If it couldn't I would have fallen through the car. Plus the drag of 3 bikes on a roof rack @ 100+ mph is much more than 100 lbs.

How does it feel to own a $2500 mountain bike?

seriously, I want to know.

I wanted to stay away from roof racks for a couple of reasons:

1) the ones that will hold the DH bikes are huge and would be very loud

2) all to often I get hurt or sore from riding DH and the thought of lifting a 40-60 pound bike and putting it on the roof had me nervous...I just know one of those set screws in the pedals is hitting the car.

3) roof racks are limited to 100 pounds, two DH bikes could exceed that.

4) I like using the sunroof and was concerned that shit would fall of the bikes into the car, some stuff is easy to clean but the swamp water around here is a bitch. I also wanted to make sure nothing could fall into the sunroof tracks and cause a problem.

5) Basically the same as 4 but concerning the outside of the car.

I thought this rack would be easy to load and keep everything safe......well it is still better than my origianl idea of putting the bikes in the back of the wagon.

I think I might try putting another spacer under the forward most bolts to see if I can tip the back up a little.

1. Mine makes no noise

2. Thats a heavy ass bike!

3. My rack holds up to 250lbs

4. I have no sunroof

5. ?

here is my set up

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/Bu11dogg2/DSC00045.jpg

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

How does it feel to own a $2500 mountain bike?

seriously, I want to know.

Well I couldn't tell you since I paid a lot less than that...helps to know people in the industry :icon_bigg Too bad I don't know anyone that makes Subie performance parts.

1. Mine makes no noise Unfortuantely with the DH bikes and some of the XC bikes you can't use a fork mount because of a the through axle or a left fork. That means I have to get one of the ones which has an arm that goes over the wheel to lock it in place. The problem is the faring doesn't adequately divert teh air like on your rack.

2. Thats a heavy ass bike! Yeah...mine isn't that heavy since it is more of a freeride bike but some of the bikes my buddies ride are full on DH monsters...a far cry from my low 20# XC bike.

3. My rack holds up to 250lbs Racks are capable of a tone of weight...it is usually the car that has the limitation. Usually in the manual you'll find something telling you the max weight....on the wagons there is a sticker on teh rails telling you not to exceed 100#.

4. I have no sunroof

5. ? Basically I was saying even if the sunroof is closed I don't want all teh swamp juice ending up on my roof.

had the roof rack on the outback. roof racks suck if you have the sunroof and like using it. I had all the same concerns fatbastard did with regards to putting a bike ontop. ESPECIALLY when you have a nice clean car with a stream of mud and dirt down the roof from a muddy ride.

Only thing I don't like about the hitch (and I have the hidden hitch) as you can still see it. I was surfing on the TDI forum and someone posted a thread about a different hitch that was completely concealed except for where you attach the rack. going to go back and see if I can find it.

wash the bike b4 putting it on your roof

When I was putting hte bike in the Integra I did clean it first.....I actually picked up a 3 gallon bug sprayer from Home Depot that I kept in the car for bike cleaning. The big difference was that car had a black interior and when I was cleaning it up the other day to sell it I realized how trashed the inside got anyway. I decided I couldn't do that to the GT with the taupe interior. I was going to toss the sprayer but then I remebered its other function.......official waterer for the wet t-shirt contest. :icon_bigg You never know when that might come in handy again.....fingers crossed

yeah!! I'll just pull a hose and water out of my ass!:lol:

Don't laugh I actually know a guy that takes a 2.5 gallon weed sprayer with him and washes his bike after each ride. Id say he is OC except hes a better rider:lol:. It works pretty well actually. I dont do it cause I like people to know the bike not just for show.:icon_bigg

2500 is cheap for a downhill bike, my XC frame and fork almost cost that!

Don't laugh I actually know a guy that takes a 2.5 gallon weed sprayer with him and washes his bike after each ride. Id say he is OC except hes a better rider:lol:. It works pretty well actually. I dont do it cause I like people to know the bike not just for show.:icon_bigg

See above....I actually wrote a review on it a few years back

2500 is cheap for a downhill bike, my XC frame and fork almost cost that!

True bike can be rediculously expensive, but at a certain point there are diminishing returns. When I built my last bike up I used all XTR...honestly I don't think I would bother again. Does it shift no matter what...yeah but usually I am not making it up the hill because of my fat ass not the bike missing a shift. But it also helps when you have friends in the industry to get you some better deals.

wash the bike b4 putting it on your roof

:lol: don't know where you ride, but where I ride there ain't no public hose I can use

True bike can be rediculously expensive, but at a certain point there are diminishing returns. When I built my last bike up I used all XTR...honestly I don't think I would bother again. Does it shift no matter what...yeah but usually I am not making it up the hill because of my fat ass not the bike missing a shift. But it also helps when you have friends in the industry to get you some better deals.

I agree XTR is more bling then performance for me too. I would fair better losing 25lbs then spending 2500 on a XTR build kit. However, The only XTR part I think any rider can benifit from is hubs. XTR hubs are by fair the smoothest fastest running hubs I have ever riden with Chris Kings comming in a close second. XT/ LX works well for me. LX to train and XT/Ultegra to race. They are both light enough and cheap enough to repalace if I crash:icon_bigg :icon_bigg . The Ultregra cassettes are lighter yet tougher then XTR.

Bu11dogg2....if you're ever down this way your welcome to take it out for a ride.

Well...I am hoping I fixed the clearance issue. Previously the knob was ~ 6 7/8" from the ground. After shimming the hitch I was able to get about 8 1/4". I am hoping this is going to be good enough even when all the bikes are loaded. I'll have to check that later this week.

Archived