LegacyGT.com

Oil filter question

For a '95 Legacy, the catalog at Pep Boys, Purolator's website and Advance Auto parts all say it uses a Purolator L14460 (PL14460 for PureOne). So to make things easier I bought a cap wrench for the oil filter - BUT - while it fits the L14460 just fine, the one that was on there was smaller. I last had the oil changed at Tires Plus, I didn't write down the number but it was different.

Please tell me that I have the right one and that Tires Plus put on the wrong filter. So far I don't see any leaks, and idle is smoother now that I'm using Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30.

edit: according to Purolator's "where used guide" it looks like all Legacys prior to '05, and most other non-turbo Subarus for the last decade use the L14460.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Thanks, I double checked everything today and it looks fine. No leaks and oil level was spot on. I'm still amazed an engine with this many miles isn't burning or leaking oil at all.

Was also nice not having to remove stuff to get to the oil filter. My last car, '88 Bonneville, required taking off the front right wheel and moving a splash guard to get to the filter.

usually american cars have big engine bays to work in like my 93 olds. So much space to work in that I don't have to worry about scraping my knuckles.

Uh they do?? Maybe something big like a Crown Vic, but as big as a Bonneville is, it's still fairly cramped in the engine bay - but nowhere near as bad as a V6 Grand Am. Transverse mounted V6's make for unplesant spark plug changes. I can't vouch for other American makes, but GM does their best to make their cars as difficult to work on as possible.

I'd hate to work on one of the newer FWD V8 Bonnie's - yes GM is dumb enough to make a FWD V8.

Ditto on my old car, a 93 Ford Taurus. Oil changes were easy (even easier than the Subaru, no crush washer!) but even a spark plug change required taking off the MAF and throttle body just to get at the back cylinder bank.

Archived