LegacyGT.com

Disconnect AWD

We just got a 96 Legacy Wagon, and someone told me that we might be able to disconnect the AWD for the summer months. Anyone know if this is possible and if so, how? He said it may just be a fuse, but that sounds kind of unlikely...

Thanks!

I don't know about the 96 models, but I read somehwere that there is a fuse you take out on the current models to disable it. It is meant to be used when you have a flat and you are using the spare. The reason being so that you don't ruin the AWD system with the spare.

I would not put much stock in the suggestion to disconnect for the summer.

The AWD system may not be designed to operate efficiently with the rear end disconnected electrically. The mechanicals will still be spinning, anyway, rolling with the rear tires.

The car was designed to run as AWD All the time. Trust the design. It is not the same as a truck with shiftable 4-wheel drive.

I would not put much stock in the suggestion to disconnect for the summer.

The AWD system may not be designed to operate efficiently with the rear end disconnected electrically. The mechanicals will still be spinning, anyway, rolling with the rear tires.

The car was designed to run as AWD All the time. Trust the design. It is not the same as a truck with shiftable 4-wheel drive.

+100

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

']Subaru Drive Magazine: Fall 2005

Maybe you should check your owner's manual.

Indeed. In my 92 SVX and my old 96 Outback, there was an empty "FWD" fuse socket. If you inserted one of the spare fuses into it, a FWD light would come on on the gauge cluster and the car would be in FWD mode, although it's recommended only for emergency situations.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived