LegacyGT.com

reliability '98 vs. '99

Was looking at the reliability ratings on MSN. According to them the '99 Legacy has MAF, tranny and speedo problems, but the '98 doesn't. Both are listing as having head gasket problems. They also mention catalytic convertor and neutral switch problems for the '98, though I'd like to know where they bought the cat. A new cat for our '95 was only $400, not $925.

'99 1999 Subaru Legacy - Reliability Ratings - MSN Autos

'98 1998 Subaru Legacy - Reliability Ratings - MSN Autos

Is this accurate from what you guys have experienced?? The two cars I'm looking at are:

'98 LGT Limited, 96K miles $7750 - Selden Motors, Conshohocken, PA

'99 LGT, 115K miles $6900 (listing doesn't say Limited but I can see the badges in the pictures), 1 owner - clean Carfax report; Eger Imports, Bridgeport PA

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Other than the switch from the Phase I motor during '99, not much else is different.

The HG job is about $1,200, although if you wait until they blow it could trash the engine. The first sign is usually bubbling and combustion byproducts in the coolant overflow tank after hard driving.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So your coolant would have some black or brown to it, instead of the normal green.

The 3400 V6 in my GA has a similar problem, but it's caused by a poorly designed LIM gasket. Once you get Dexcool in your engine it eats away at it, and can be real expensive if you don't get it fixed ASAP.

i would be careful about trusting carfax. my dad was buying a car for my brother, and he used carfax and it came up totally clean but after they got it to my house they realized it had been in an accident and partially been rebuilt...which sucked. As long as your checking it out in person then you should be good.

As for reliability problems for 99 legacys...im experiencing quite a few of them now...having almost had to replace the tranny, i DID replace the neutral switch and not the computer is getting replaced...i dunno thought i hope it turns out to be more reliable than this though because ive only had it 2 1/2 months and out of that time i actually had it in my possession for two days.

i would be careful about trusting carfax. my dad was buying a car for my brother, and he used carfax and it came up totally clean but after they got it to my house they realized it had been in an accident and partially been rebuilt...which sucked. As long as your checking it out in person then you should be good.

At the Grand Am forums I visit someone mentioned that not all accidents are reported to Carfax, minor ones aren't reported at all.

I don't see any damage on either of the cars in the pictures, but obviously I'd look under the car to make sure nothing's leaking and test drive it.

i'd suggest definitly checking the car out in person if you can because my bros old car looked perfect in pictures and the accident it turned out to be in was not a minor accident at all. It could be a great car and it could be perfect but i' just thought i'd say because i wouldn't want anyone else to be disappointed...

As for reliability problems for 99 legacys...im experiencing quite a few of them now...having almost had to replace the tranny, i DID replace the neutral switch and not the computer is getting replaced...i dunno thought i hope it turns out to be more reliable than this though because ive only had it 2 1/2 months and out of that time i actually had it in my possession for two days.

How many miles do you have?? Maybe you got one made first thing Monday morning or the last one on a Friday. Can happen to any car, though with my Grand Am it seems most are made like that.

I wonder how much GM paid MSN Autos to not mention the LIM gasket problem all 3400 V6's have?? It's a $600-700 repair. They also fail to mention that power window regulators break around every 2 years.

Anybody know of any other good places to look for reliability ratings (besides CR)??

Just wondering, if a car has been listed for a couple/few weeks is that necessarily a bad thing? These two (same as described above) have been listed for about a month.

Mine was listed for a month and it turned ok...for the most part.

Another difference between those two years is the airbags. In 1999 the airbags were depowered, therefore you are less likely to have a broken nose.

Just two things I noticed from the listings:

The drivers seat on the 99 seems to be pretty worn...they didn't take care of the leather. The AWD emblem on the back is also misplaced on the right side of the trunk, rather than to the left of the trunk. That makes me curious if it had a rear collision that was repaired?

How many miles do you have?? Maybe you got one made first thing Monday morning or the last one on a Friday. Can happen to any car, though with my Grand Am it seems most are made like that.

I wonder how much GM paid MSN Autos to not mention the LIM gasket problem all 3400 V6's have?? It's a $600-700 repair. They also fail to mention that power window regulators break around every 2 years.

Anybody know of any other good places to look for reliability ratings (besides CR)??

LOL thats a funny thought, w/ my luck it was probably first thing monday morning or last t hing friday.:lol: it only had 120000.

My car was only on the market for a couple weeks, when i found out about it, it had another buyer who was in the process of buying, a friend of my dads son. Luckily (for me) the kid ended up getting into alot of trouble and his parents wouldn't buy it for him :icon_bigg so i ended up looking at it with a mechanci and buying it. I wouldn't say being listed for a long time is necessairly bad, a month isn't too long.

Just two things I noticed from the listings:

The drivers seat on the 99 seems to be pretty worn...they didn't take care of the leather. The AWD emblem on the back is also misplaced on the right side of the trunk, rather than to the left of the trunk. That makes me curious if it had a rear collision that was repaired?

Thanks, I didn't see that. Listing has a free Carfax report, only 1 owner and no mention of any accidents. But if it were a minor accident, it wouldn't have been reported.

Archived