funkpelts

Vote for the best Infinity speakers for stock stereo  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the best Infinity speakers for stock stereo

• Reference series coaxials
    • Reference series component set
    • Kappa series coaxials
    • Kappa series component set

I compared Infinity speakers at the store the other day to see if I should get a component set and if I should go with Reference series or Kappa. My favorite one to my surprise were the Reference coax's! I listened to all of them on a stereo's internal power (no outside amps), to best duplicate the situation in my stock LGT stereo. I am sure their sound board isn't set up to perfection so maybe I shouldn't take my observations there too seriously, but what are your thoughts and experiences on this? I would like my speaker choice to sound good on a possible future amp upgrade, probably either an Infinity Reference 4 channel or a JBL/Crown 4 channel. But that could be a while so the priority right now is for the speakers to sound good powered by the factory receiver. I do have the factory subwoofer and I will most likely keep using it with whatever speaker choice I go with. I also thought the reference component system sounded better than the kappa components. Right now I am thinking I should put a reference component set in the front doors for the benefit of tweeter aiming, but maybe I could accomplish the same effect with the coax rotating/aiming tweeter? I am thinking of reference coax's in the rear doors. Ok that is enough babbling from me :lol: I've filled up the whole window here for criminy sake...

I have your same predicament... if I end up getting around to it before you do, I'll have to give you a heads up. Not likely since I am so busy, but I'm piecing things together... so we'll see. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

I just put the Reference components up front and the coaxials in the rear of both my wife's LGT wagon and my ext cab pickup. Both of ours are powered by an Alpine 9853 head unit (under)rated at 17w rms/ch. The components sound better and handle more power. If I play with the fader the rears fart out at a lower volume. The tweeters are also noticably brighter, so much so that I had to wire them to the -3dB post on the crossovers in my truck. In the Legacy the factory tweeter location muffles the sound enough that it seems just about right. The biggest problem now is that the factory sub sounds like a block of wood.

edit: From what I've heard the factory HU won't power the Kappas very well and you'll need an amp sooner rather than later.

Kappas should have better sound, and they have a bit more sensitivity. But to get really good sound you should get the kappa perfects and an amplifier. You need an amp for those, they have under 90db sensitivity, like any quality speaker.

Kappa perfects are around $200 a pair plus shipping and you have to have an amp to run them... they are the best sounding mids and highs I have ever heard, but they come at a steep cost for people trying to keep a reasonable budget on their stereo system.

I personally wouldnt buy any components without an amp, better to do things all at once anyway. Or else youll have to get em rewired when you eventually do have an amp.

In regards to sound, everyone's tastes is different, trust your instinct and go with whichever one sounded better!

The Kappas have a high sensitivity, but IIRC are rated at 2 ohms. I wouldn't hook up a 2 ohm speaker to our factory amp, I doubt the amp would last long with that load.

i have the reference coaxials front and rear. no experiance with the kappas but i do understand that they are the next line up, between reference and kappa perfects.

they seem to sound good to me. along with the upgraded sound deadening compared to the WRX this stereo system sounds alot better/cleaner than the alpine coaxials i had before

of course you would want a subwooder available so you hear the whole range

Archived