LegacyGT.com

Damm this car is tall

I know it's been beaten to death, but tires make a huge difference in perceived lean. For a long time, I couldn't figure out why the car felt like such a beast this winter, then it came to me...tires! The winter tires I was running must have much firmer sidewalls and such, 'cause the OBXT transforms to feel like it's running on tank treads. In a good way.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I've been riding with a buddy in his FXT and he takes potholes like I wouldn't dare in my LGT. I'll probably go the OBXT route (or comparable) next time. I was just tired of driving wagons and wanted a change of scene.

Guest *Jedimaster*
With new tires, sway bars, and end-links, mine now corners really flat and has great steering response. The only thing missing is better dampers in the rear to fix the floating on high speed bumps and I'll be happy.

Were you the one with 245's on the stock rims? Sorry for the threadjack.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Nope, I'm on Rota Torques 17"x8" with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/50ZR17.

Ah, gotcha- thanks!

I'm nearly poised to buy an 05 Outback, without the turbo, and I'd like to boost the handling a bit so I don't miss my Mazda too much. Some more information on the specs of the suspension you're talking about would be greatly appreciated! And the sooner the better, because I have some more test drives tonight!

Thank you.

Ksport coilovers, 18" SSR competitions with Falken 451 245/45/18 tires completely changed the characteristics of the car. Cost maybe $1000 for the coilovers, and $2200 for the wheels and tires and $180 for alignment and corner balance.

The truck like ride was a big negative for me on the OBXT, but I knew that it could be made so much better with very little effort. I will never take it off road, so Ithought that improveing the street performance of it was an acceptable trade off.

Ksport coilovers, 18" SSR competitions with Falken 451 245/45/18 tires completely changed the characteristics of the car.

Just for giggles, what's the current ride height, measured from fender lip to wheel hub center? For that matter, what's your current alignment?

The truck like ride was a big negative for me on the OBXT,..

"Truck like" usually means stiff. I thought the problem was it was too soft?

OTOH, our Taco (stock suspension, 16" Sumi Srixon4's) could use some stiffening. But as long as the road is smooth, it handles more responsively than the LOB. Although hitting a bump in a corner can be very upsetting.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Just for giggles, what's the current ride height, measured from fender lip to wheel hub center? For that matter, what's your current alignment?

"Truck like" usually means stiff. I thought the problem was it was too soft?

OTOH, our Taco (stock suspension, 16" Sumi Srixon4's) could use some stiffening. But as long as the road is smooth, it handles more responsively than the LOB. Although hitting a bump in a corner can be very upsetting.

Pardon the threadjack, but I just have to give you another thank you- you're a pioneer! Every time I look at my cat with the LGT exhaust, I silently thank you for trying it! I recently had my mufflers off to high temp engine paint them and with no lgt tips on, it really looks crappy- what a great and cheap way to improve the look of the car :cool:

You're welcome - & thnx for reminding me that I need to get some paint on them!
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I always associate a "truck like ride" to my father's early 90's F150. I swear that thing's suspension was made of marshmallows.

the measurement from the ground to the fender arch is 27" (tire diameter is 26.7" and I need to go up about ½" to ¾" depending) front and the rear is 28.5". My alignment is 1.5° front and something close to 1° in the rear wih 0° toe front and rear. My cross corner balance was 1806 FR/RL 1809 FL/RR, before I started raising the car a bit.

When I first brought the car home, I actually measured that garage door to see if the car would fit inside.

Lower the car, get a rear sway-bar, and better tires/wider rims.

I dont mean to sound ghetto but...

Has anyone considered a airbag suspension for the OXT? My thinking is to have the ability to keep the car at stock height in the winter, and then lower it to something like a nicely lowered LGT in the summer (in no way slammed).

I like a tasteful drop...here is my WRX, Eibach Pro Kit 1.3" front 1" rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/D0WNxSH1ft/Amber%203/DSC00757.jpg

captainmorgan - Thanks! How high do you think the Ksports will let you go?

Archived