LegacyGT.com

Too many new posts?

Tide

Yes, I'm still tweaking settings. I'd like to make one more try at database-based thread read markings and see how it performs over the next day or two. What does this mean?

Previously it was done with cookies, at 35 minutes your cookie session would expire and you would get new posts based on that. If you were too slow reading you would lose new posts. Cookie based tracking also only works per computer.

We're going to try storing this information in the database, for 24 hours. Meaning, any thread that has a post in it from the last 24 hours will be a "new post". It will remember then each thread that you read, and at what time. Each time you go back to the thread, it will take you where you left off. DB thread marking persists to every computer you use.

Why am I doing all this?

Search Engine Optimization: Help Google, Yahoo, etc, better find Legacy Content, which will...

Provide a better search tool for finding information on this site.

Drive more members to the site.

Some tips, if you use the New Posts link and read from there, look for The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts. which will show you what new posts were just just since your last visit.

I was wondering what was going on because today, suddenly, things are weird. (1) as someone else posted, threads I started are no longer showing up under New Posts. They used to (2) I can no longer drag or paste a small gif into a post (3) inserting an image into a post used to preview/load the image automatically. Now, it just brackets the link.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

My own replies to threads are now problematic too. They don't show up under New Posts anymore like they did just yesterday or the day before.

:icon_conf

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Right, its not a new post. You already read it. They show up as new posts for everyone else.

My own replies to threads are now problematic too. They don't show up under New Posts anymore like they did just yesterday or the day before.

:icon_conf

This change has nothing to do with #2 or #3.

I was wondering what was going on because today, suddenly, things are weird. (1) as someone else posted, threads I started are no longer showing up under New Posts. They used to (2) I can no longer drag or paste a small gif into a post (3) inserting an image into a post used to preview/load the image automatically. Now, it just brackets the link.

Guest *Jedimaster*
There's a ton of new posts and the board is laggy. Tide, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Let's give Tide the time to experiment. Keep it the new way through July 4th or something like that.

It will give all of us enough interaction to make a real determination if its better or worse.

Honestly, I liked the old way too.

I've noticed it takes a while if I put in a new reply to show up. It's not instant.

+1. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake posting the thread.:icon_conf

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Not related to this post, post lag is really just a general issue if the site is really busy.

+1. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake posting the thread.:icon_conf

I might have found a mod that will allow people to set in their UserCP which way to mark unread posts, so it would still keep DB markers but you can have it pretend to still act like the cookie.

Will play with it tomorrow.

*update*. There is now an option in UserCP (Modify Option) called something like "Automatically mark unread threads". This will mark all unread threads in the same manner that the cookie previously worked as. So if you log off the site for 8 hours, when you log in, you'll only have 8 hours of unread posts, regardless if you actually had more.

Please test it our for me.

boy,was jedi right. if it ain't broke don't fix it. this really sucks now. you go to a new post look at it then want to go back to it after reading another and poof it's gone. maybe i don't know how to work this new way yet but the old way sure was easier to me. if you ask me this new way will cause even more post's because you can't find or go back to posts as easy as before. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

boy,was jedi right. if it ain't broke don't fix it. this really sucks now. you go to a new post look at it then want to go back to it after reading another and poof it's gone. maybe i don't know how to work this new way yet but the old way sure was easier to me. if you ask me this new way will cause even more post's because you can't find or go back to posts as easy as before. bosco

+1 bosco...

here...now you can read your thread again :lol:

p.s...I like the old way better...post and then it right up so you can always find it :icon_bigg

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Except that things were broken, the 'Go to newest unread post' was not functioning properly. This solution is the best fix for it and I know its not the same as it was (and that isn't possible), but it does allow people like myself who use multiple computers to better track read threads.

You read a thread, you post in it, it's no longer a new thread to you. Your subscription is kept and you can find the thread again if you like in your UserCP. You will also see it again when it gets another post.

Ultimately I need to make some changes to the site as we transition from a 'medium' forum (which we are now) to a 'large' forum (which we will be in 6-12 months). Improvements needed to be made to Search, to page rankings, and to read markings. I know this means some long time members will have to alter slightly how they find information here, but I've exhausted all I can think of for the past week to balance the two.

Who moved my cheese? :)

Archived