LegacyGT.com

Boostjunkie aka Ultimate Coilover Whore - Now with 100% more KW Variant 2!

Boostjunkie

The lower shock mounts looks like a thremoplastic nylon resin. That stuff is very strong, and light. Also, I'd imagine that the metal coil on thermoplastic might suffer less "clunking" issues.....

I doubt they are plastic.

Nylon will not hold the weight of the car with that thread pitch.

They are probably cast metal.

I think you are right. It is a threaded metal ring that it encased in a thermoplastic housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, kind of forgot to update this thread. I haven't been driving my LGT much since we got the Tribeca and my wife has been out of town, but I love the KW's. They are the smoothest riding coilovers I've had so far. Having said that, there is no magic when going over very large bumps at freeway speeds. You'll still get a decent jolt. Fact of the matter is that no matter which coilovers you have, there is still less suspension travel.

Compared to the MR coilovers, there is less impact harshness over small, sharp edged bumps and a little smoother handling of large bumps. It isn't a quantum leap forward, but it is better. I'd say a 10-20% improvement in ride quality. Bear in mind that at normal street prices the KW's are $600-700 more than the MR's. Both sets are handily better than the Teins.

The KW's do exhibit a bit better body control, as they seem to have more low speed dampening. Honestly, I think that much of the improved ride is due to the KW's using the stock rubber upper mounts. The rigid pillowball of the other coilovers do transmit a touch more harshness.

In the end the choice is up to you. The KW's ride great for a lowered suspension, but do not offer the adjustability of some of the coilovers and are premium (but still reasonably) priced. The MR's are a great choice for a performance oriented driver on a budget. That's my $0.02.

• 3 weeks later...
The helper spring is probably insignificant. Its just to keep the mainspring from bouncing around on the perch. It is fully compressed solid under the weight of the car.

Exactly. Many think that the helper spring absorbs the small bumps, but in reality, as RobY said it is fully compressed under the static weight of the car. It's primary function is to keep some preload on the main spring and keep it in it's perch under full extension.

Oh BTW, if anyone is interested in purchasing KW suspension components, since I'm now a vendor, I can tell you all that I offer KW's full line, all products for all makes. PM me for pricing, but I can absolutely guarantee the lowest pricing out there.

In the end the choice is up to you. The KW's ride great for a lowered suspension, but do not offer the adjustability of some of the coilovers and are premium (but still reasonably) priced. The MR's are a great choice for a performance oriented driver on a budget. That's my $0.02.

short, simple and to the point

thanks for letting us know :icon_mrgr

The helper spring is probably insignificant. Its just to keep the mainspring from bouncing around on the perch. It is fully compressed solid under the weight of the car.

Correct. A tender spring would have a more significant spring rate and make the spring behave more progressively.

Congrats on the KW's! Great dampers, amazing quality....we love them.

- Andrew

• 8 months later...
Sorry, kind of forgot to update this thread. I haven't been driving my LGT much since we got the Tribeca and my wife has been out of town, but I love the KW's. They are the smoothest riding coilovers I've had so far. Having said that, there is no magic when going over very large bumps at freeway speeds. You'll still get a decent jolt. Fact of the matter is that no matter which coilovers you have, there is still less suspension travel.

Compared to the MR coilovers, there is less impact harshness over small, sharp edged bumps and a little smoother handling of large bumps. It isn't a quantum leap forward, but it is better. I'd say a 10-20% improvement in ride quality. Bear in mind that at normal street prices the KW's are $600-700 more than the MR's. Both sets are handily better than the Teins.

The KW's do exhibit a bit better body control, as they seem to have more low speed dampening. Honestly, I think that much of the improved ride is due to the KW's using the stock rubber upper mounts. The rigid pillowball of the other coilovers do transmit a touch more harshness.

Exactly what I need to know. Thanks!

Archived