LegacyGT.com

Boostjunkie aka Ultimate Coilover Whore - Now with 100% more KW Variant 2!

Boostjunkie

So I have now managed to whore my way to yet another set of coilovers, although I actually had to pay for this set. I was perfectly happy with my Megan Racing coilovers, but with all the praise the KW Variant 2's were getting I figured I'd have to give them a try. Making it all the easier is that one of my poker buddies is one of KW's master distributors, and basically sold them to me for his cost.

Anyways, to ward off the TTIWWOP comments here are a couple:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/P1000391.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/P1000390.jpg

Notice the tender springs front and rear and nice stainless steel bodies.

Here are a couple installed pics:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/P1000392.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/P1000393.jpg

Couple notes. These coilovers are very nicely made. Clean welds, smooth finish. Interestingly, the bottom spring perch is made from plastic. I'm guessing to avoid any corrosion problems. I'm sure they are plenty strong, just an interesting material choice. The bottom perches are secured by a little set screw. Not sure if I'm crazy about that idea, as someone could seriously muck up the threads on the bodies if they overtightened the set screw, but it does make for easy one-handed height adjustments.

One other little irritation for me, was that the holes for the camber bolts on the front lower mounts were not cut as a mirror image pair. So the passenger side strut has to have the camber bolt backwards from normal. It just looks funny to me, but then again it is 100% functional and you can see it with the wheel on anyways.

Otherwise they just dropped right in, just like all the other sets of coilovers I've had. Everything was in the right place and fit perfectly. I guessed at setting for ride height and I started the back at the lowest recommended height, and the front about 1/2" higher than the lowest recommended. It's just about right like that, just a tiny bit higher than my car was on the Megan coilovers. They are obviously not for the guy who wants to be tucking tire. I've got a one finger gap right now, and you could realistically drop it about 1/2" more, but that is it.

I'll post driving impression later, after I've actually had a chance to drive the car.

what are the main springrates on these puppies.

I just picked up some JIC's to replace my GP-Motos. If I cant handle the ultra stiff 8k/10k JIC's then I might have to try out the KW's

The main springrates are 7kg/mm front and rear. Why did you swap out the GP-Motos? The JIC are reputed to be the harshest riding coilovers out there.

Paul, you my friend are a WHORE!...A dirty Pirate Whore!...I'd kick your in the shins if you didn't have a wooden leg!!

And they aren't Laker Coilovers, this is Boostjunkie...they are LA Sparks coilovers!!

OUT

~Sucka-Duck~

Paul, you my friend are a WHORE!...A dirty Pirate Whore!...I'd kick your in the shins if you didn't have a wooden leg!!

And they aren't Laker Coilovers, this is Boostjunkie...they are LA Sparks coilovers!!

OUT

OT: i got my knee surgery yesterday... its not as bad as once thought so i should be up a falling in the snow in no time....

OT: i got my knee surgery yesterday... its not as bad as once thought so i should be up a falling in the snow in no time....

PM the details of your surgery...hope you are feeling better!!

~Sucka-Duck~

OUT

C'mon man... You know that purple is one of the Toronto Raptor colors... that's why I got them! But don't be hating on Lisa Leslie, or I have her whoop your a$$!:lol:

As for my old coilovers, I sold the very low mileage production Megan Racing set that was on my car to Fabius on this forum. I'm keeping the prototype MR's as a backup and look for the prototype Tein Flex for sale soon.... just got to clean them up for pics.

BTW, I have a 4 mile impression of the KW's so far. They are nice. Smooth riding and the car feels very well balanced. Certainly not a quantum jump up from the Megans though. Around town the Megans felt great, but they were a bit harsh over some of the really big bumps and undulations at high freeway speeds. I'm hoping with their German autobahn breeding that the KW's will handle those situations better.

BTW, for the KW users already out there, what do you have you dampening set at? I'm at 2 turns up from soft in front and 1.5 turns up from soft in the rear as a starting point.

The main springrates are 7kg/mm front and rear. Why did you swap out the GP-Motos? The JIC are reputed to be the harshest riding coilovers out there.

It depends on which cars you compare the JICs on. They are retardely stiff on the WRX but soft as a pillow on the IS300/NSX/RX7 version supposedly.

This is probably due to the design of the WRX's rear suspension. It does not take to short stroke struts very well. It seems that JIC's ride pretty well on multilink setups where shock piston speed is traded for force.

Im swapping out the GPM's cause I want to try somthing diffrent.

paul, we expect longer review!! :lol:

btw, what was your dampenin setup on MR??

I need to drive more than the 4.2 miles from my house to the office to be able to give a better review. I'll be doing a bit more driving this weekend, so I'll update this thread with more impressions.

I actually had to raise the car a bit. The front settled quite a bit. I'm also still messing with dampening settings.

As for the MR's, I ended up liking 14 clicks up from soft in the front and 10 clicks up from soft in the rear. Made for a good compromise between harshness/response/body control at most speeds.

One other little irritation for me, was that the holes for the camber bolts on the front lower mounts were not cut as a mirror image pair. So the passenger side strut has to have the camber bolt backwards from normal. It just looks funny to me, but then again it is 100% functional and you can see it with the wheel on anyways.

I was wondering about that. I was hoping it was not just my set.

my current settings.

front 1.75 turns (from soft)

rear 2 turns

Archived