LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Wagon vs VW Passat Wagon

Sorry if this is off topic to Sti...my wife is looking at the mention wagons. However, we test drove a 2004 Passat wagon and 2004 Legacy wagon but not back to back (within 3 months) and recall that the Passat wagon was more quiet and had a better ride. The wind and road noise was noticably more quiet in the Passat. Ideally, my wife wants a vehicle for long road trips, so ride quality is priority. Has anyone else rode in both, and what is your opinion? The marketing literature mentioned that better ride for the 2005 Legacy was design from the ground up. Does anyone know how much better? Thanks.

If you also throw reliability on the pile of things being compared, the Subaru will have the advantage. As it looks you've been in the market at least for a few months, my word of advice: wait for the 05 Legacy in late May/ early June. Nobody can really say how much the new Legacy has been changed/updated and how it will be different on the road. I'd suggest you give it a test before choosing one way or the other. I will say the Passat sure has comfy seats though. :P

These two photos remind me of another car a little, especially the headlights, but the name escapes me just now.

I now both sets of photos are slightly different, but I'm sure you get the idea.

32776.jpg.1cfad8f60fe1ca29b36797ea92e764cf.jpg

32775.jpg.ec1d06b7f4a0c9929688117ecd58370d.jpg

[quote name='MSB']These two photos remind me of another car a little, especially the headlights, but the name escapes me just now. I now both sets of photos are slightly different, but I'm sure you get the idea.[/quote] It's a small phaeton... That new passat wagon looks really great... :o ...it looks solid and bulky...

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

It does look really large in the skin if you ask me. Compare that to a new Leg, no comparison. I like the new VW front, also shown on a new Golf, but I just wouldn't buy one, reliability and weight are two key factors deciding against, not to mention the price. :o

Thanks to all who replied. The next Passat, I hear, will not be out until Summer '05 as an '06 model. We will be waiting to test the '05 Legacy. Also, we read that Subaru has added more standard features and upped the interior quality, which we are really excited about. This makes it more competitive, however VW is rumored to give the baseline '06 Passat a 200hp I4 turbo and (shown earlier) a really nice exterior redesign. This is going to be hard to decide between the 2.

[quote name='SUBE555']If it comes down to reliability and given what most people I've known who've had them, it shouldn't be much of a competition for the Leg. ;)[/quote] Agreed. I'm currently having too many expensive reliability issues with my 1999.5 GTI VR6. I'm a bit bitter about VWs right now. But that new passat wagon does look awesome. Anyhow, I cannot wait that long and I'm sure the Leg 2.5GT will be a better value as I know the passat will easily reach $CAD 44,000 MSRP for 4motion and 250hp vicinity.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='gtguy']The Legacy wagon has more style than the Passat wagon, which strikes my eye as being rather clunky looking. Kevin[/quote] Oh, I wasn't comparing it to the legacy.. that's not even an issue.. I just think it looks much better than the current/previous body style..

I would have to say the new VWs definitely are getting an upgrade in looks, but the reliability and cost are big offsets for at least some of us. If I had the cash for Audi/VW I probably still wouldn't buy one because of how much more I can get in a Subaru, including the reliability aspect. Either way, gotta love those Wagons. ;) That's what the thread is all about, isn't it. :D

• 3 weeks later...
I like the look of the new Passat wagon, it's more of a Audi's short, tight, round corner and more of an aerodynamic feel...but I will only take the 4Motion model to compare with Legacy GT, in this case, Passat Wagon will be around 3700 LB and Legacy GT Wagon will be around 3250 LB, even throw a chip into Passat's 1.8T to boost it from 170HP to 210HP, still, it's fairly obvious to see the who the winner is here.

that 7/10's of a liter is a big deal, regardless of technology. You can match turbos to keep the low-mid range by being more agressive on the 1.8L, but sacrifice on the high-end, and weight, no contest!

Archived