LegacyGT.com

For those that took apart the shift are/dash/radio

Lagacy GT

How hard was it? Would it be too hard for a newb? I'm pretty handy and I like fixing things, but I don't know if I want to risk the damage that may or may not occur. I ask this because I want to get the underseat sub/amp installed. I read the other posts and some guy, jedi maybe, said he installed it in 45 minutes. Also, the dealer quoted me $190 LOL for installation. Sweet, $190 for less than an hour of labor, when can I start my $190/hr job at the subaru dealer?

I did my sub in no time at all. Be careful when snapping the shifter bezel back into place when you are done. After you fit it into it's forward position and go to snap it into place near the heated seat controls, you need to push hard forward and apply some back pressure to the cup holder console to avoid damaging the SOFT RUBBERIZED coating of the leading edge of cup holder console. Everthing else was straight forward.

BTW, the description in the Walkthru forum is a very good reference.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Buy a JazzyMT mod for your stereo, and he has a great walkthrough with pics for yanking out the radio.

I had never even dreamed of pulling out my stereo in any car before, and now I can pull out and put in a radio in under 10 minutes, it's super easy, other than figuring out how to unclip each harness.

$190 for a half-hour's work? Sign me up, too!

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

Taking it all apart is easy the hard part is not scratching the cheesy interior coatings or beaking off any little plastic tabs on the interior pieces. I suggest putting a towel over the shifter and center console when you actually pull out the radio. I didn't and I scratched the woodgrain on the shifter and the grey on the shifter trim. I generally wouldn't care but it was my wife's car and she noticed it.

Archived