LegacyGT.com

Speaker Suggestions

NickB34

I'm getting ready to buy some speakers and I had a couple of questions before I go and get some. Is there anybody out there that has placed new tweeters in the stock location and liked them? Should I go with a little bit cheaper quality tweeters/components if I go this route so that the highs aren't quite so bright? Or should I just go with a high quality 2-way or 3-way coaxial? Thanks in advance.

i personally suggest doing a nice component set upfront, and flush the tweeter in the factory kcik panels :) easy to do and good sounds.

DLS ultimate line of speakres, with their hybrid magnet, is very shallow and low profile and will fit fine in the door and sound great :)

all depends on what you are trying to spend through

there are other decent cheap speakres out there, but onet hing DLS excells at is midrange and highs smoothness

b

I love infinity's and am looking at going for that for my mids and highs, I'm just not sure how custom I want to get as far as putting something in the kick panel... I've never done that before and I don't want to spend a bunch of money having somebody doing it. Unless I can get a good convincing argument otherwise, I'll just go with the coax in the doors.... I think the sound dampening that I plan on doing will make the system perform very well.

The general consensus on the legacy among those who know...

is to not use the factory tweeter location, even if you go the separates route. I am very happy with my Morel 6-1/2" coaxials.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I love infinity's and am looking at going for that for my mids and highs, I'm just not sure how custom I want to get as far as putting something in the kick panel... I've never done that before and I don't want to spend a bunch of money having somebody doing it. Unless I can get a good convincing argument otherwise, I'll just go with the coax in the doors.... I think the sound dampening that I plan on doing will make the system perform very well.

What did you get? I put Kappas 62.5's in my old 97 OBW and they were great. I'd like to upgrade the stock speakers with something that's a straight swap.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Well i have to push my Polk dbs. Great speakers overall if you are goign to do a sub and very shallow mounting depth. Great speakers that hold up well. Crutchfield is doing a boy one get a second polk set half off. Just my .02$

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

I'd say avoid the focals simply b/c they're anything but shallow. Mounting into the kick panel is easy, just use the right size hole saw, very simple. Use a 1/2" spacer for the mids & your options go up tremendously for speaker choices, the install isn't really any more complex.

I put in Focal polyglass coaxials withe large spacers from Iaperformance.

5.25 or 6.5" speakers? Were the spacers a direct bolt in? Did the speaker just bolt right on to the spacers? Are these the spacers you're referring to: IA Performance Subaru audio adapter plates 6.5 Front Universal Adapter Ring Set- Subaru 99-06,

I'm asking cuz I may do this myself, depending on the ease of install.

What challenges will I face mounting a shallow 6.5 in the doors? I want to go shallow to avoid spacers and make it easier on myself. I'm now wondering if the mounting holes will line up correctly etc?

Anyone have any comments on this?

5.25 or 6.5" speakers? Were the spacers a direct bolt in? Did the speaker just bolt right on to the spacers? Are these the spacers you're referring to: IA Performance Subaru audio adapter plates 6.5 Front Universal Adapter Ring Set- Subaru 99-06,

I'm asking cuz I may do this myself, depending on the ease of install.

What thickness spacers that you would need is going to be dependent on the mounting depth of the speakers that you decide on.

The IAperformance Spacers do bolt in directly to the stock mounting screw holes and include hardware.

I believe 2" or less should be fine, though according to the IA Performance Subaru audio adapter plates 6.5 Front Universal Adapter Ring Set- Subaru 99-06, link, using these spacers will give you almost 3" of depth. I'm assuming that you'd just remove the current door speaker, replace the factory spacer with the IA performance spacers, which bolt right in, no cutting/drilling needed, then bolt the speaker to the new spacer, again no cutting/drilling needed. I'm hoping this is the case anyway.

Ya that's what it sounds like. I'm on the fence now as to what I should do. To get the spacers to me in Canada it'll be over $60. I'll have to downgrade the speaker quality to fit into my budget. I may just try to make my own after I get the door panel off and see what I have to work with.

• 1 month later...
I'd say avoid the focals simply b/c they're anything but shallow. Mounting into the kick panel is easy, just use the right size hole saw, very simple. Use a 1/2" spacer for the mids & your options go up tremendously for speaker choices, the install isn't really any more complex.

Do you have any pictures of tweeters mounted in the kick panel using this method? I'm a bit leary about doing this. I was planning on trying to mount my tweeters coaxially using plumbing strap.

Has anyone done this with a 2.75" deep speaker? There will need to be a spacer and i'm not sure if there will be room to mount the tweeter in front of the mid when the spacer is used.

Do the coax method, not sure what I was talking about before. You'll need at least a 3/4" spacer for 2.75" depth drivers, I doubt you can squeeze the tweeter on top, but maybe? Depends on the driver & the excursion.

im looking at the cdt speakers myself which have a briaxail(sp?) set up, the tweeter swing and swivels.

im 99% sure im goiing to buy those or the 2 way separates, its the same company that made the old style clif desings (i used to own a pair and they sounded incredible)

A number of ppl have had success with the CDT's in bi-axial mode I believe - search CDT. I think you'll be fine. I'd go with the largest spacer available & put some thick weatherstripping around the frame between the spkr & door panel to ensure no Xmax issues & better midbass.

Someone's selling a good set of used CDT's too in classifieds.

im looking at the cdt speakers myself which have a briaxail(sp?) set up, the tweeter swing and swivels.

im 99% sure im goiing to buy those or the 2 way separates, its the same company that made the old style clif desings (i used to own a pair and they sounded incredible)

Those braxials are nice but they are about $150 more than the eDi 6500's i'm looking at which are pretty much equivalent (EF series?) If you decide to get the cdt's send me a PM b/c there is a guy who sells them for a discount rate but I forget his name and I'm at work.

edit: Boulderguy: do you know if the 6.5" EF series braxial will fit, meaning will the tweeter have room?

Archived