LegacyGT.com

turbo kit for 2.5i

anyone know anythings about this ? http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html
AVO's famous bolt-on turbo kit for the Subaru 2.5-liter naturally aspirated flat four. Included in the kit: - AVO Garrett water-cooled ball-bearing turbo - AVO high-flow bar-and plate top mount intercooler designed for high flow and almost no pressure drop - AVO Stainless steel up-pipe Stainless steel downpipe with a sport high flow catalytic converter - Pre-programmed engine management with extra injector. - Stainless braided oil lines - AVO Power air filter - AVO intake pipe - High quality hoses & Fittings - Full fitting instructions This kit will work with your oem or aftermarket headers, (as long as they still utilize the stock flange pisistion.) and cat-back exhaust, or with the stock factory exhaust system. The kit has had extensive dyno tuning to ensure driveabilty in all conditions, including hot and cold weather testing. On the dyno the kit produced 212hp at the wheels at the recommend max of 6 PSI of boost. This puts it in the 265 HP range at the engine. About 100 horsepower over stock. This makes the car very fast, faster than even a WRX as it has more horsepower and is a lighter car. This is the finest kit on the market today. Complete installation instructions, and all hardware included.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-49187380673845_1900_22250http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-49187380673845_1900_48021 AVO Complete Turbo Kit WRX-2001-095 PRICE : $3,495.00 'cause i'm interested in getting a supercharger of some kind for my car next year :) and i like to know as much as possible by then .

my darling coforumist ... i would have done that from the begining , but : Location: Bucharest !!! as in bucharest ROMANIA , as in EUROPE , we don't get here any GT 's X( only the 3.0R , which is 15 000 Euros more epensive than he 2.5 . that's why i'm asking about the turbo kit ! oki ?

order yourself a GT motor while you are at it (motor, bulkhead harness for the ECU, ecu, etc).. at least then you'll have everything you need.. it's easier that way instead.. and get a FMIC too, your 2.5i with the non-vented hood is gonna heat soak your TMIC.
Keefe

and a GT motor costs 3500$ ? non vented ? meaning ? no hood scoop ? that can be easyly aranged :D

$5k possibly with everything, but that's still better than an add-on turbo kit on a higher compression motor that you are running.. at least this way, you have the fuel to pump out enough hp as well as the lower compression to run the higher boost.. if I were you, save up and get a USDM GT motor, not the JDM motor.. USDM motors are 2.5Litres while the Japanese are still 2.0s..

Keefe

yeah, and in most of europe you pay taxes based on your engine size. I am not sure about romania (it's been 8 years since i went there)

Well, in Poland the cost of LIABILITY INSURANCE is directly proportional to the engine displacement. Ridiculous, ha? At least, they don't monior your driving record to rape your ass whenever you get a ticket.

A btw, the highest category is 2.5L and up, so 2.5L, 3L or 5L doest make any difference...

yes we pay taxes acording to the engine displacement . . . so i just might go for a 2.0DJM turbo engine BUT I CAN'T legal just SWAP the engine !!! the legal procedure is a killer :( so what about that turbo kit ? trust me ... i thought about all the posibilities :) 1. new engine , i even found one from a forester 2.0XT - 177bhp ... just good enough , legal procedure is a killer , no way to do the engine swap 2. turbo kit ... best option so far :(

What is the comparative cost of doing this type of modification to your engine (along with associated need for custom tuning, as well as potential for mechanical troubles costing additional money both for repairs as well as due to missed work days/hours), versus the cost of importing a JDM 2.0L turbocharged Legacy?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yes we pay taxes acording to the engine displacement . . . so i just might go for a 2.0DJM turbo engine BUT I CAN'T legal just SWAP the engine !!! the legal procedure is a killer :( so what about that turbo kit ? trust me ... i thought about all the posibilities :) 1. new engine , i even found one from a forester 2.0XT - 177bhp ... just good enough , legal procedure is a killer , no way to do the engine swap 2. turbo kit ... best option so far :(

how illegal can it be to swap a motor??

Keefe

trust me it is. you can swap easily the shell of a car legally than the engine

and that is different how?

what is the difference of say a 2.5RS with an STi motor vs 2005 STi motor/drivetrain with an RS shell?

and better yet, doesnt the entire world go by VIN numbers on the chassis?

and more importantly, what if the stock motor blows and the original motor is no longer in production? what then? the whole car is pointless/useless?

And how can adding a turbo be more legal than compared a stock-turboed factory motor? Wouldnt the already stock-turbo motor (being both 2.5 motors) be a well suited taste? He's already driving a 2.5i, so what's the difference of swapping an OEM turbo motor vs adding on a turbo other than the cost vs reliablity issue? wouldnt both cases just be as illegal to one another?

Keefe

and that is different how?

what is the difference of say a 2.5RS with an STi motor vs 2005 STi with a RS shell?

beats the hell out of me, but sometimes the laws are not as common sense as people would like to believe. the engine is not regarded as a changeable part in romania, but the body is.

It can be done. The thing is that in many European countries the car registration has both VIN and engine #. They check it on annual insepctions.

At least in Poland it's not hard at all to swap an engine. You just need to have a proof you legally bought it (in case of an imported engine that you also paid import tax) and that's it. It also needs to pass emission standards, but I don't think these are very strict in Poland (unless something changed because of joining EU) and you can always easily bribe the inspector. I am sure that the latter method is not difficult to apply in Romania as well... :lol:

beats the hell out of me, but sometimes the laws are not as common sense as people would like to believe. the engine is not regarded as a changeable part in romania, but the body is.

that's a load of crap to begin with, you might as well just rip off the VIN plating on the stock motor and replace it on the new motor.. then what?

I can say you can still work around the law and just get yourself a 2.5L USDM GT motor, yank off your vin number on the 2.5i block and put it on your new block.. if it's stamped (which I doubt), just grind it off.

what's the penalty on the government finding out that it's not the original motor?

eh, just do it, who cares, in the US, plenty of people here bend the rules to get what they want, I dont see why it's any different from the other side of the world. Look at the many many illegally sold HIDs in the US that people run around with.. it's not a big deal. Just get yourself a new OEM GT turbo motor and swap it in. Adding a turbo to the 2.5i is not going to yield you the same power as the USDM GT.. different compression ratios all together.

And you'll end up spending more to upgrade everything else anyways. By the time you are done, you would have spent just the same amount of work and money of which you could have had a reliable USDM GT turbo motor.

Keefe

If anyone is interested in the actual law in the US (every state and the terriories); it is that you can replace an engine with one from the same or LATER model year provided that all of the emissions equipment that came on the new motor are insatlled and functioning. No truck engines allowed in cars. Different states have other laws as well.

If anyone is interested in the actual law in the US (every state and the terriories); it is that you can replace an engine with one from the same or LATER model year provided that all of the emissions equipment that came on the new motor are insatlled and functioning. No truck engines allowed in cars. Different states have other laws as well.

problem is, this is about Romania, not the US.

Keefe

no it won't :) a little clarification is in order i see. 1. if your stock engine blows and needs replacing , a new engine is supplied with the same characteristics as the original one . this engine is monted on the car in the service THEN the car is taken to RAR (romanian automobile registry) where the car needs to pass certain test and is omologated as a NEW CAR ! thus you can see that the whole world is NOT going by the vin number , but here it's the combinaion between the VIN and enginno

AVO= expensive... not worth it, go get ah STI if you wanna go fast and spend alot of money... :icon_wink

and yes the AVO kit will fit,it's been done and I'm sure it will be done again...

tks :) so it will fit , but it's a little bit expensive ;) gotcha ;)

no it won't :) a little clarification is in order i see. 1. if your stock engine blows and needs replacing , a new engine is supplied with the same characteristics as the original one . this engine is monted on the car in the service THEN the car is taken to RAR (romanian automobile registry) where the car needs to pass certain test and is omologated as a NEW CAR ! thus you can see that the whole world is NOT going by the vin number , but here it's the combinaion between the VIN and enginno

so there, simple, just keep driving your car as-is now, blow the head gasket from hard driving (which could be anywhere from 10 miles to 150,000 miles) then get yourself a new 2.5GT USDM motor. you'll be fine ;)

I believe the 2.5i motors are running something like 10.2:1 compression ratio while the rest of the 2.5GT motors are at the low 8.2:1 ratio... in other words, the higher the compression, the less boost you can run...

My thought is this: by the time you spend all that money on the AVO kit with all the supporting mods that goes with it, you'll barely make out and match the power of a 2.5GT.. not only that, you probably just spent enough money where you could have gotten a 2.5GT motor for that price.. not to mention that you are not getting the same reliablity and my guess is that you'll spend more money on boost controllers and air fuel ratio controller and all the supporting data logging to get the car to run reliably..

it's up to you, but in the subaru world, most of us just grab a factory stock turbo motor and upgrade from there.. why bother doing the work when the work is already done?

Keefe

Archived