LegacyGT.com

Meguiars Scratch X not working as it should???

i found a small scratch on the front bumper and decided to buy a bottle of scratch x to see if it can do the job... i applied it like the way it says in the directions on the bottle but it didnt do ANYTHING!!!!

so then i decided to spray some eagle one nanowax and that hides the scratch better than scratch x...

pfft....what can i use it for then?? seems like i wasted my 8 bux on this bottle of nothing... :(

i found a small scratch on the front bumper and decided to buy a bottle of scratch x to see if it can do the job... i applied it like the way it says in the directions on the bottle but it didnt do ANYTHING!!!!

so then i decided to spray some eagle one nanowax and that hides the scratch better than scratch x...

pfft....what can i use it for then?? seems like i wasted my 8 bux on this bottle of nothing... :(

I'd guess that the scratch you're referring to was way to deep, or you didn't work it long enuogh. ScratchX is a mild abrasive, and can be used to "level" out the paint around the scratch. In my case, I used it to remove holograms left by some idiot with a power buffer. The holograms in my case were VERY small scratches in the finish. The scratchX merely evened all that paint out, thus getting rid of the problem.

ScratchX isn't designed to "hide" scratches per se, its used to remove them completely (by sanding the paint around the scratch down to the level of the lowest part of the scratch). The wax will, however, have a "hiding" effect on the scratch because it just fills the scratch in a little and levels out the apparent surface of the finish.

I'm sure OCDetails will chime in here in a bit and give you more details.

Do you have any pictures? The only thing I can say is that if the scratch is down to the primer, no amount of ScratchX (or anything else short of repaint) will be a good and permanent solution.

--james

I'd guess that the scratch you're referring to was way to deep, or you didn't work it long enuogh. ScratchX is a mild abrasive, and can be used to "level" out the paint around the scratch. In my case, I used it to remove holograms left by some idiot with a power buffer. The holograms in my case were VERY small scratches in the finish. The scratchX merely evened all that paint out, thus getting rid of the problem.

ScratchX isn't designed to "hide" scratches per se, its used to remove them completely (by sanding the paint around the scratch down to the level of the lowest part of the scratch). The wax will, however, have a "hiding" effect on the scratch because it just fills the scratch in a little and levels out the apparent surface of the finish.

I'm sure OCDetails will chime in here in a bit and give you more details.

Do you have any pictures? The only thing I can say is that if the scratch is down to the primer, no amount of ScratchX (or anything else short of repaint) will be a good and permanent solution.

--james

the scratch was on the clear cloat... about a 2inch long hair line scratch...

return it.

Returning it is one option. It really does just sound like a case of trying to remove a scratch that wasn't removable with this type of product. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it is too deep to remove with polish. With the legacy paint being as thin as it is, it really doesn't take much to go clear through. I had a couple scratches that weren't coming out with any amount of polishing.

ScratchX is really good at removing rubs and paint swap. Sometimes when you back into a pole and it doesn't really scratch the bumper, but it does leave white streaks, those are the things ScratchX is really good for. It's not going to fix every scratch on you car, but it does have a purpose. I would reevaluate the scratch you tried to remove and deterimine if you used the product wrong or if the scratch is just simply too deep. Keep in mind that you are dealing with something that is little thicker than a business card, so even light scratches will go through the paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived