LegacyGT.com

Are new 05's still common?

vader1

Went to my local dealer today to window shop even though I won't be buying until Sept-Oct because of upcoming wedding. Anywho there were 3 outbacks with Turbo hood scoops, one had a hang tag saying $21k, another was $22k and a third $24k.

They were all new 05's but all had automatics. If any of them had been a stick I would have signed the paperwork.

I talked to the salesman and asked about the availability of 5spd turbo's and he said "We don't get many of those maybe two a year, but we sell them right away."

I asked, "If you sell them right away don't you think that you should order more?" to which he replied "Nobody wants them.":iam:

Let's see, everybody wants auto's that's why you still have 3 new 05's and nobody wants 5spd's which you sell right away. Makes sense to me.

Is this common at other dealerships?????

Stupid sales person full of BS? Yes that's pretty common. ;)

Anyway, when I was shopping there were a lot more automatics than mtx on the lot in all of the dealers. The funny thing is all the automatics quotes I got were ~$1500 more than the 5-spd models, even thou the automatic is only $1000 option... Go figure.

I am not thinking the guy was full of BS just that the dealership was clueless. One of the 05's was nearly $10k off sticker. They would not have to discount so much ( and presumably take it in the shorts so much) if they ordered more of what seems to sell out quickly and less of what hangs around.

I am a not a big guy, and am in decent shape, 30 inch waist (yes I know, too much information) and all my life I go to buy some khakis or something only to be told "We only order a couple 30's and they sell out right away." Yet every clothing store I have ever walked into has a "bargain rack" with 50 pairs of 44-46inch waist pants on it. I just don't get how businesses succeed when they keep inventory as if they have a second grade education.

I don't think all cars that are on a dealers lot are "ordered." I think part of being a dealership is you accept what ever Subaru sends you. At least that is my understanding after hearing salesman complain about how their car company keeps sending out cars they can't sell.

Don't know how other manufacturers do things but the Dodge dealership I worked at back in high school I believe the sales manager ordered most of the cars. They would look at what was popular and order 20 or so similarly equipped. We did not always have exactly what every customer wanted, but at least they were paying some attention.

This Subie dealer said they were out of stick for 05, AND 06, and would get a couple for 07. The lot had probaly 30 or 40 outbacks on it with auto. So they were out of 5spds for 05 but still had new 05 autos that should have sold a year ago, but got the same type of mix in 06. Sold out of the 06 5spds and still have a bunch of autos left, and will get the same mix for 07. Its mind boggling.

lol... where u from vader1???

i just did a search for LGT wagons in Massachusetts and there are only 2!!! both 05s and both autos LOL!!!!

Minneapolis/St Paul area.

I want the white-taupe combo too.

Archived