LegacyGT.com

question for headlight clearers:

underpowerd

Quick few questions for those who have cleared their headlights:

(this info/pic seems strangely absent in the otherwise in-depth h/l clearing threads, but i'd love to know as much as i can about...)

Those small metal clips that hold the ambers in place, i.e., how do they work? How are they attached/detached to unlock the amber slices (upon outside-in inspection it seems that they must; but, do they "unlock the amber slices?")

Is the material more of a flimsy tin -- like could a pair of needlenose take it for a bend?

Finally, (and this one may have been covered, but) the clips are removed with the ambers, right?

I'm wondering, because i have a complicated, insane and highly improbable idea, but please respond anyway :icon_wink .

thank yous, as always

if it doesnt come out easy you are doing it wrong. dont force anything. sorry cant be more clear but thats the best advice i can give. i didnt know how to take them out either when i did muds car for him, but once we realized how it worked they fell right out. took only a min to figure it out. think harder dotn work harder.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

think harder dont work harder.

lol, thanks vxcl...

i'm afraid i might be thinking way too hard. i don't really wanna bake'n pry 'em. i've been entertaining some far-out ideas (which occurred to me when i was changing the fogs) about how to get around the huge involved method with bumper removal, oven mitts, etc., etc. and get into a slightly less (or more, lol) involved method with a 2nd person, video camera, small monitor, a cupla long nee-nose, etc, etc. -- like a remote surgery of sorts, lol. -- i know, i'm a lunatic...

anyway, i guess what my main question was really targeting was: is it possible to remove the clips while the headlights are still sealed, like with long needlenose or some other tool that could fit through the bulb hole(s)? Might sound crazy, but should stand to reason that if a finger can do it, a careful and dexterous tool could as well -- (then everything, the amber and clips, could be crushed/pulled out in bits) -- but, is it possible while sealed?

I guess it's possible to crack the amber off & pull it out but it's not gonna be easy. Honestly it would be easier to just bake em. I've done 2 sets with no problems. I did have to re-seal one out of 4 lights I did but it was no biggie. A little extra silicone & it's stayed sealed up fine.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while since I did my last), no, a "remote" method will not be feasible, as the reflector assembly as well as its retaining clip are both sandwiched between the two main "layers" of the headlight assembly. :(

But if you're thinking about crushing/breaking the pieces....well, that just might be feasible.

However, I'd still be very, very, very hesitant to do so, as the "chrome" of our reflector housing is fragile - I'm not sure that you would be able to keep it cosmetically intact, going at this "endoscopically" - and not for lack of piloting skill, either (although I'm not the greatest stick, I'm sure that there are many others who'd be able to do it!)...but rather, just due to unavoidable contacts.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

thanks coxx, tsi:

as i said, a bit far-out :), but maybe worth the hours that are going to be spent anyway, in addition to the peace of mind, if successful, to have foctory sealed casings in the end. plus, i figured if anything went awry, i could always bake myself out of it :) . thanks for listening and not calling me a total idiot, lol.

it's been more of an outside-the-box continuing daydream than a plan, but the gears kept getting stuck at how the clips function/ambers drop out. it's pretty tough to reverse-engineer from the outside. thanks for the insight.

the delicate chrome was a consideration, too -- thought i could handle that with some e-tape on the plier tips :icon_wink .

well, back to the drawing board :) .

. thanks for listening and not calling me a total idiot, lol.

no problem. I've always felt that nobody is an idiot for asking questions. Those who state things as facts w/o knowing for sure are the real idiots.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I've often wondered if you could break the amber sections and pull them out without splitting the headlights..... now I see that it isn't feasible :( .

I would love my headlights to be cleared... but I don't want to mess up the factory seal and have them fishbowl.....

no problem. I've always felt that nobody is an idiot for asking questions. Those who state things as facts w/o knowing for sure are the real idiots.

+1 :D

----

mccorry - Don't worry about it, bro. Pursue this of someone who has had a lot of experience doing it, and you truly should be just fine.

There's a local Scooby enthusiast who's done some 25+ pairs of headlights, mostly late-model WRXs, but a good share of other vehicles, too (a couple of Mitsus, a couple of domestics, etc.).

Anyone who has at least cracked their housings once should be able to serve as a good "guide" for you. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

LMAO. i've totally botched my new 06 headlights, but the seals are PERFECT! :lol:

just remember to double check the correct temps before placing the headlights in the oven! other than that, it's pretty easy.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

your crazy if you dont take them apart. its by far the easiest. tips would be use a heat gun not an oven and use permatex ultra black rtv sealant to seal them back up. you will have zero problems. trust me.

better yet your in jersey. take a drive up and ill show you how its done. you will have to buy me lunch though. outback sounds good. i spend about $25 :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The only thing i can suggest is that if you take the whole piece out the whole piece (the amber piece and the long clear piece from the middle) it becomes much easier. Also, they don't mention this, but you should disconnect the fog lights before you take off the bumper.

-T

lmao, vx,

i'm off rt. 1, i have to drive past an outback every mile or so, :lol: .

anytime, brother :) .

if i have free time and dont go anywhere i'm trying to pick up a tmic from another member so i would galdy help clear your lights the say day.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

your crazy if you dont take them apart. its by far the easiest. tips would be use a heat gun not an oven and use permatex ultra black rtv sealant to seal them back up. you will have zero problems. trust me.

better yet your in jersey. take a drive up and ill show you how its done. you will have to buy me lunch though. outback sounds good. i spend about $25 :)

Maybe I will give it a shot sometime over the next few weeks.... :redface:

Archived