LegacyGT.com

Best Tires in the Rain

subyvt

today i drove from DC to north jersey in this catastrophically rainy weather on i-95 (can count at least 5 times when i had 0% visibility and trucks in front of me). my toyo proxy 4 (high performance all seasons) performed admirably. not one slipup. highly reccomended for dry and rainy weather, they perform pretty well on the snow/ice as well

+1 , I have the same tires and with 225/45/17. Best tires I had ever own, it felt like my old R6 tires. :icon_bigg It cost around 110 for each

I hear that (but am not certain since I have not tried them...) BF Goodrich G force KDW IIs are really good in the rain...

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

Take a look at the reviews on the bottom...

I also have Toyo T1Rs 245/35...however, I wouldn't buy them just for wet traction, as it just seems like OK to me...they actually seem a little floaty in the rain...

I think that's because 245 is very wide for the weight of the car. You might try increasing your tire pressures to lessen the floatiness.

^^ +1 Most of the Miata crowd have found that it takes a couple extra PSI in the T1-R's to bring out their ideal performance.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

My Yokohama Advan S.T.'s are the best tires I've had for hydroplane resistance. They also have ridiculous levels of grip-even on an OBT. I bought them for the reinforced shoulders and sidewalls, to mitigate the floatiness in the suspension and tippiness with the increased ground clearance. They are pricey and a tad heavy, as they are a truck tire.

I thought about some of the car-based high performance tires, but I was worried that they would just flop-over with aggressive cornering and wear out the outer tread.(?)

• 2 months later...
I ran the Proxies 4 on my last car. Superb hydroplaning resistance, great dry traction, absolutly USELESS in the snow. Very noisy tire, alot of tread hum at different speeds. Overall comfort was good.

My exact thoughts on the Toyo Proxies 4. They are amazing in the rain - never had a tire like that before. Snow is a totally different story, I was scared shiftless back in January while driving on unplowed mountain roads - scariest and trickiest driving experience ever - one mistake and off the side of the road I would've gone. (no guard rails and some places had very steep drops off the side)

After going for a riding in a Passat 4motion at IMHO nuts speeds in heavy driving rain I would give very high marks to Bridgestone's all-season RE960 Pole Position. I am considering them as a replacement for the RE92's but winter traction level is unknown at this point since they were recently introduced. I will wait and see over the winter as I am nearing replacement time on our car.

Tirerack.com gives these the highest marks for an ultra-high performance all-season according to tireracks salesperson tire forum feedback and their review of tire.

Kumho Ecsta ASX - 80 dollars at tire rack - price-matched by pep Boys. These tires stick you to the ground in rain. Amazingly, right after the rain stops and the asphalt is wet, the car becomes harder to drive and kind of refuses to steer. I went from a happily gliding, all over the place Legacy GT to one that is kind of hard to drive from too much grip. Of course...there's never anything wrong with too much grip !

No love for Michelin? The PS2 can outperform F1 GSD3 and T1R in both dry and wet, it's not as pricey as Yoko AD07, and the treadwear is excellent. Most importantly, the PS2 is usually 2lbs lighter than a similar sized performance tire.

I had a set of T1Rs on my car, IMO too much hype. They were good value, but if money is no concern there are much better tires out there. Things I didn't like about the T1R: long break-in time (several hundred miles), skinny look (my 245 looked like a 235), soft sidewall (turn-in was not as crispy), average treadwear (down to 5/32 after less than 10k mi of highway use), excessive tramlining on interstate, and kinda noisy when worn. I put them away because my car started to pull to the right at all times. Didn't think it was the tires, but nothing could fix it, so I tried some fresh PS2s - voila, problem solved.

maqm3,

People don't like to buy expensive tires. They find acceptible performance from tires they like the price of, and then they think that the tires are the best available.

I've seen it on every car board I've read, and until people actually experience the difference on the same car in the same tire size, they don't realize how little they understand.

Having said that, crappy tires today do kick the ass of tires of even 10 or 15 years ago, so it probably doesn't matter much.

I also like the PS2, but as long as I find a good price on the top line tires, I buy them. I watch for sales on any of 3 or 4 different tires when I shop - usually give myself a good six months, and I've been lucky getting excellent prices on great tires. Love my RE050's, but would have bought the michelins or contisportcontact 2's also.

To each his own.

I have Toyo Proxes4's on my car at this moment, although i just got my new rims and my old toyos just put back on today... That being said i drove to Floriday and back on my RE92's and my chromes and there was a pretty nasty rain storm on the way back (like you can see the car in front of you and thats about it) and the re92s didnt do too bad, however they did hydroplane a few times when i got off the high part of the road and wandered a little into the groove that was filled with water. I have been in a similar situation with my Proxes4 that were siped by discount tire and had zero slippage / hydroplaning.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

No love for Michelin? The PS2 can outperform F1 GSD3 and T1R in both dry and wet, it's not as pricey as Yoko AD07, and the treadwear is excellent. Most importantly, the PS2 is usually 2lbs lighter than a similar sized performance tire.

I had a set of T1Rs on my car, IMO too much hype. They were good value, but if money is no concern there are much better tires out there. Things I didn't like about the T1R: long break-in time (several hundred miles), skinny look (my 245 looked like a 235), soft sidewall (turn-in was not as crispy), average treadwear (down to 5/32 after less than 10k mi of highway use), excessive tramlining on interstate, and kinda noisy when worn. I put them away because my car started to pull to the right at all times. Didn't think it was the tires, but nothing could fix it, so I tried some fresh PS2s - voila, problem solved.

I agree, except I think rain performance will be fairly comparable.

I am not extremely impressed with the dry performance of my T1-Rs.

maqm3,

People don't like to buy expensive tires. They find acceptible performance from tires they like the price of, and then they think that the tires are the best available.

I've seen it on every car board I've read, and until people actually experience the difference on the same car in the same tire size, they don't realize how little they understand.

Having said that, crappy tires today do kick the ass of tires of even 10 or 15 years ago, so it probably doesn't matter much.

I also like the PS2, but as long as I find a good price on the top line tires, I buy them. I watch for sales on any of 3 or 4 different tires when I shop - usually give myself a good six months, and I've been lucky getting excellent prices on great tires. Love my RE050's, but would have bought the michelins or contisportcontact 2's also.

To each his own.

I agree with you. Tires seem to be the last thing on most people's priority list. Many, many people spend thousands on engine mods, body kits or fancy rims, yet when it comes to tires they buy the cheapest accpetable ones. It's a good thing though that companies like Toyo are trying to offer high end tire experience at affordable prices.

I bought the T1Rs last Dec when they were on sale, for just over $500 compared to almost $800 for PS2s. At that price the Toyos made more sense than ever, but I wasn't too impressed. I guess for some of us, it's impossible to go back to average tires once you know what real tires are capable of.

As for tire shopping, I use the same tricks: buy in advance, watch for sales, and don't limit brands. Also, I've had very good luck scoring barely used high end tires in the for sale section of high performance car forums.

I agree, except I think rain performance will be fairly comparable.

I am not extremely impressed with the dry performance of my T1-Rs.

Yea my T1Rs were fairly good in the wet. In fact come to think of it, I think I've had more nervous moments on PS2s, but that's probably due to the fact that I was much more encouraged to try stunts on them :icon_mrgr

Archived