LegacyGT.com

Best Tires in the Rain

subyvt

I am going to be buying new sneakers for my OB and am curious on what people think are the best tires in the rain. I drive alot of winding roads and highways for work. Looking for a good summer tire for the rain. Please Help.
Pella Windows and Doors: Viewed To Be The Best

today i drove from DC to north jersey in this catastrophically rainy weather on i-95 (can count at least 5 times when i had 0% visibility and trucks in front of me). my toyo proxy 4 (high performance all seasons) performed admirably. not one slipup. highly reccomended for dry and rainy weather, they perform pretty well on the snow/ice as well

From what I've seen on this forum and others, the Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Toyo T1-R are supposedly the best summer tires for the rain. Similar tread pattern between the two, so maybe that's not surprising. I just put the GS-D3's on Saturday... but it hasn't rained here since then, so I can't give you a first hand report on those. I have the T1-R's on my other car and have been extremely pleased with them, but, um, I don't really take that car out in the rain...

Here's a link to Tirerack's "Customer Surveys" for Max Perfc. Summer tires. Note: they don't carry Toyo so you can't get a direct comparison.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

Tirerack also does their own reviews, which can be helpful, too, if you don't mind doing some reading:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsPerformance.jsp?perfType=MP&x=19&y=15

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

As stupid as this sounds....I have tried, and failed, to hydroplane my T1R's.

100+ in the rain and the floatyness of the outback scares me more than the fear of sliding off the road.

In real world driving, I never come close to the edge of the T1R's. When I AutoX, the OB's suspension lets up before the tires do. I can't say enough about my T1R's. Treadlife seems to be really good too

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I am going to quote myself here.

Two days ago it poured here, I mean 1/2 inch standing water on the road, most cars only going 75 kph vs 100.

First time I really drove my T1Rs hard in the rain.

If it wasn't for my Aqua-Pelled windshield and my Valeo wipers I would not have been able to drive near as fast.

I played around for a while. testing lateral grip and stability, and then took off (closed track of course). I easily attained 200 kph (120 mph) in what seemed like about 1/2 inch standing water. I don't know for sure the depth of the water, but it was raining so hard that the whole road was like a shallow lake. BTW I don't recommend doing this unless you know the pavement is very even and the water won't have little deeper puddles in it. Anyways the car was totally stable, a lot of fun. It felt like I was flying an F16 about 2 feet above the water. In the rear-view mirror nothing was visible, to the sides nothing was visible, just straight ahead at mach 2, woo hoo!

Only problem I encountered was I almost drove past my turn. The lateral grip of the tires fooled me into thinking I could slow down in time. Actually I could, but the stupid ABS was being overly sensitive. I have an ABS defeat switch, but didn't think of it till it was too late. What I really need is a switch for the ABS defeat that is on the shifter, anybody have any ideas?

I liked reading that as much as writing it a couple of months ago!

I am guessing you use winter tires.

However I would imagine in VT all-seasons with a non-winter bias would be better than summers as they can be used safely below 40F. It used to be Michelin Pilot A/S were considered best in rain for an ultra-high performance all-season. It appears from this test that a new model Bridgestone RE960a/s Pole Position has bumped it out.

Learn from my niave experience back in college of summer tires, they are very scary below 40F. I got some education by the tirerack before they had their website via the phone on tires and paying my $500 deductible repairing the front end of my Jetta GLI 16V.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&tirePageLocQty=

I hear that (but am not certain since I have not tried them...) BF Goodrich G force KDW IIs are really good in the rain...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

Take a look at the reviews on the bottom...

I also have Toyo T1Rs 245/35...however, I wouldn't buy them just for wet traction, as it just seems like OK to me...they actually seem a little floaty in the rain...

I hear that (but am not certain since I have not tried them...) BF Goodrich G force KDW IIs are really good in the rain...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

Take a look at the reviews on the bottom...

I also have Toyo T1Rs 245/35...however, I wouldn't buy them just for wet traction, as it just seems like OK to me...they actually seem a little floaty in the rain...

I was looking at those, I love the tred pattern and they got good riviews. I have also heard that they are very noisey and if you read the coustomer reviews almost every Suby owner on there hated them. I went with the Kumho MX and love them al around, great in dry and rain, very sticky in all situations they have been in.

BFG KDW IIs,,I have had two sets,one on my WRX,one now on my GT.Read the tirerack reviews,it's all there,excellent on the dry or the wet:icon_wink .

They can be kinda noisey is the only downside.

I'm in my second summer running the F1s and they ARE terrific in the rain (though as they wear, predictably, their grip in the rain declines somewhat).

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I ran the Proxies 4 on my last car. Superb hydroplaning resistance, great dry traction, absolutly USELESS in the snow. Very noisy tire, alot of tread hum at different speeds. Overall comfort was good. Smoother than the Eagle RSA'S I replaced.

My friend has Michelin hydroedge on his Chrysler 300M, his wife cannot believe how well they work in rain AND snow. He switched from the OE MX4 Michelin.

Michelin HydroEdge baby~

but seems too pricey compared to others

I bought them at 120,000 miles for my old OBW. They're still on it at 175,000 and have about 6/32nds tread. So cost per mile is low....

They were absolutely the best all-around passenger tires I've ever purchased.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

today i drove from DC to north jersey in this catastrophically rainy weather on i-95 (can count at least 5 times when i had 0% visibility and trucks in front of me). my toyo proxy 4 (high performance all seasons) performed admirably. not one slipup. highly reccomended for dry and rainy weather, they perform pretty well on the snow/ice as well

I find my proxy 4's absolutely amazing in the rain, but kinda suck in the snow.

+1 for the Dunlop Sport Maxx, only down side is the noise. IMO there's really no such thing as a high performance all season so Dunlop Wintersport M3's for the winter.

Archived